Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Cracks on your Phantom body?
12Next >
9162 56 2016-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Phantomski
Captain
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Many people are reporting cracks on their phantom body.. Thankfulkly I have not experienced it yet, 241 flights, 34hours, almost 1,000,000 ft traveled.... I would love to see some stats...
You can select up to 2 answers, so i would expect "no cracks on p3, and say "using protection on p3".. Pictures and more comments in the post very welcome.. let's see just how bad this really is! Maybe it will cause DJI to redesign the bodies? Strengthen in certasin areas?
Thx!
Multiple choiceVote: ( Up to 2 entry optional ), Total 135 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2016-9-30
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.4
Flight distance : 236414 ft
Canada

No cracks 8-9 hours 50 flights around 60 km flown with the newer motor designed Phantom 3 Pro, but I don't hard bank her and rarely full throttle in any direction and I try not to descend too fast.
2016-10-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

None here, drone is over one year old, Phantom 3 Pro. ;-)
A competely trouble free unit, with a flawless pilot... Ha

RedHotPoker
2016-10-4
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

Well, we got 12 votes.. I notice that polls, like other posts, sort of die... Hope this one does not.. I would really like to see "Real stats" and see if DJI really does have an issue or not.. I am pretty good with my p3A since april or so... knock on wood....
2016-10-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

It's a well known issue, & been discussed at length.

Guys with cracks in the shell either live with them, send it back for a free shell replacement if within warranty, or fix it themselves.

Not sure we need another poll about them. As there have been several already. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-10-4
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

oh, there have been polls, but were they administered by a Pole? ;) Well, if it was done, it was done... i just did not find it... interesting.....
2016-10-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Search function here is totally inadequate. Perhaps we need a whole new Poll section? Haha
Please see here as one example:  http://forum.dji.com/thread-23532-1-1.html
Anyway, not a concern for me, and if I had a crack I would rub it. Ha

Yeah with Plast-Aid http://www.plast-aid.com
J-B Weld http://www.jbweld.com, or a similar product. ;-)

What does a poll do to repair the bird? Fix it and move on. Send it in for replacement, and stop barking... Chuckles
Good luck, hope the next one has no 'fault lines'.

RedHotPoker

2016-10-4
Use props
fnichols1
lvl.1

United States

RedHot, I get what you are saying.  I agree, to a point.

I wasn't even angry when I sent my Phantom in for crack repair after the first 222 flights.  But three cracking incidents over the next 37 flights is out of line.  For the grand I spent on the Phantom, I would expect the warranty service to not limit me to 15 flights then a return to DJI.

I HAVE sent in for replacement....four times.

As for fixing it myself, two of the cracks also included bits of plastic falling out of it, the shell separating, and the gimbal not working after it was returned to me.  I don't think a rub would have fixed it.  

I think I have the right to bark a little.
2016-10-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

No denying the facts. I guess I have just been lucky then? But if you add all the posts of shell crack complaints, they don't amount to much of a total, considering the 100,000s of Phantoms flying on a regular basis.
The numbers don't even add up, to 1%. So if it's an issue for yours, then you need to reassess the value of the drones joy, to you.  If the determination that your shell deterioration is worth more than the drones purpose, perhaps consider other drones, man. I have a variety. Or repair it, rinse and repeat...
I love my Phantom 3 Pro', but it's been completely trouble free, so I update my firmware upon finding them, and only continue to appreciate my kit. Just marvellous.
I had always wished and hoped that everyone of you, could have this delightful experience, and only be posting your joy...
Sadly most forum posts are predominated by negative issues, complaints, problems, insults to the company, and other bothersome variations of catastrophe.

RedHotPoker
2016-10-4
Use props
fnichols1
lvl.1

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-4 13:24
No denying the facts. I guess I have just been lucky then? But if you add all the posts of shell cra ...

RedHot, I agree totally.  I came to the same conclusion.  I am moving to Autel and hoping the X-Star Premium lives up to it's good reviews.  

I just wish DJI would have been a bit more responsive after incidents three and four.   I really loved my Phantom before all of the problems.
2016-10-4
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

Hello, the Pole is happy with this discussion, thank you..  And I agree, the forum search function.. well.. it does not...
2016-10-4
Use props
Cessna172
Second Officer
United States

Don't sweat the small stuff.   So clean and easy to resolve permanently it's not worth the worry.

Get a 4 oz jar of Weld-On 4 (Dichlorofloromthane)

Be sure to get the needle applicator.

Just wick a tiny drop of this directly onto ANY shell crack and it's instantly and permanently repaired like brand new.
It will never crack at that spot again.  Stronger than new.

Your money, your time, your Phantom.   Why fret?  Just FLY!
2016-10-4
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

I think pple are just mad sometimes that a price that expensive has such faults.... but it is nice to have a good fix!
2016-10-4
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

I just realize how the title of this could sound...
Imagine William Shatner....
The Cracks....
On
Your.....
Ph----anto-----mmmmm
Booo-ooodyyyyy......

Pretty damned scary if you ask me!
2016-10-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Another Canadian, who hit the big time... William Kirk Shatner. Haha

RedHotPoker

2016-10-4
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

I didn't know he is from Canada!
2016-10-5
Use props
Kneepuck
Captain
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

My year old P3 Advanced has just in the last week developed a single crack under 2 of the motors.  My Standard,  which does not get flown as much, is crack free.
2016-10-5
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

so what u gonna do with the advanced? replace body yourself, fix it with resin, or make dji do it
2016-10-5
Use props
TechReviews
lvl.4
Flight distance : 99852 ft
United Kingdom

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-10-5 04:37
Don't sweat the small stuff.   So clean and easy to resolve permanently it's not worth the worry.

G ...

finding weld on 4 in the UK is near on impossible,only place  i have manged to find it is ebay but its $65
2016-10-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Phantomski Posted at 2016-10-5 11:40
I didn't know he is from Canada!

There's thousands of popular stars that were conceived and born here. Probably before your time, but Lorne Green and Robert Goulet both worked here at www.CKUA.com radio station. Rae Dawn Chong was born here in the city of Champions too. Her well known daddy was an ol' head/hippie. And musician too before his comedic life... His band played at my cousins wedding.

RedHotPoker
2016-10-5
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

U cannot be Canadian! U do not say eh and you do not apologize a lot! U are an impostor, Sir! With cracks on your Phantom Body!
2016-10-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Born and bred here. It's a wonderful place to live, for a bright bowhunter.
The only cracks I admit to, are wise ones. Haha

Something like a cross between Frank Zappa and George Carlin.  We enjoy voicing the unusual.

RedHotPoker

2016-10-5
Use props
Cessna172
Second Officer
United States

TechReviews Posted at 2016-10-6 06:05
finding weld on 4 in the UK is near on impossible,only place  i have manged to find it is ebay  ...

What?!?

I got it for $12.00 for a pint (delivered) here in the EwwwSA
2016-10-5
Use props
TechReviews
lvl.4
Flight distance : 99852 ft
United Kingdom

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-10-6 03:28
What?!?

I got it for $12.00 for a pint (delivered) here in the EwwwSA

yeah exactly,not sure why its so rare and esxpensive in the uk,i have seen weld on 4 on amazon.com/ebay.com for simlar price to yours but unable to buy it as it states cannot be shipped to uk,probally because of its flammable properties.

Still looking for weld on 4 in the uk but not hopefull
2016-10-5
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

What is this "weld" being spoken of? when i search for "weld" on amazon, i see things that are not $12 for a gallon or a liter, or a pint..  can someone post a link? I checked amazon ans well as UK amazon, just for a good measure....
2016-10-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Phantomski Posted at 2016-10-5 22:33
What is this "weld" being spoken of? when i search for "weld" on amazon, i see things that are not $ ...

I abhore when people suggest a product or service, but provide zero links.

Please See Weld On 4 here:
http://www.emplastic.com/product_details.php?ref=257&product=158

RedHotPoker
2016-10-5
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

Thx! Here's US Amazon search:
https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=n ... ds=weld-on+adhesive

So the key was "weld-on" I guess....

In US a 4oz is about $20, in UK it seems to be 50 pounds.... interesting. Still, now I know, and other readers will to ;)
2016-10-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

This thread is showing a reply 15minutes ago, yet the last post above, was placed 15 days ago?

What's going on? Why was this happening?

RedHotPoker
2016-10-20
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

I've seen that too, i think the forum has it's own issues.. when you look at replies in your profile, that is inaccurate as well.. unless it simply looks for replies to "your comment" and not replies to threads you took part in....Maybe someone voted but did not comment?
2016-10-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Phantomski Posted at 2016-10-20 22:45
I've seen that too, i think the forum has it's own issues.. when you look at replies in your profile ...

Without any logical input from Upstairs at Eric's, who knows? Haha
But anything is a possibility. A reply notice should mean something was actually written in follow up and posted.
Not sure a vote would move the thread up again.

RedHotPoker
2016-10-23
Use props
Cessna172
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-6 12:51
I abhore when people suggest a product or service, but provide zero links.

Please See Weld On 4 he ...

Stop being such an Abhorigine

I gave the exact product name....and I think most people have the common sense to do an Internet search.

Some Canadians.....always wanting to be spoon fed....pfffffft  !

How about THANKS for the great tip !?!?!?
2016-11-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

It's also helpful to share a hyperlink to vendors or manufacturers, so others can appreciate those products or services too.
Others may be on mobile devices with limited megabytes worth of use, and searching takes away from those minutes or whatever...

Thanks for your helpful nature... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-11-13
Use props
hakkeritipu
lvl.1

Finland

I have crashed my P3S ~6-8 times (last time i hit a tree when testing new flight mode and then it fell on a rock) but somehow mine is still okay. It has few scratches and lot of marks on the camera but still okay
2016-11-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Funny how this thread keeps appearing on the front page...

Like it has a life of its own. Haha

A haunted thread, never needs to be hunted...

Still zero shell fractures, going on over 1 1/2 years...

RedHotPoker
2016-12-29
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

i am not sure what makes the threads showup on the front page.. weird!
2016-12-30
Use props
IOHIM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 209262 ft
United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-11-13 17:13
Stop being such an Abhorigine

I gave the exact product name....and I think most people have the common sense to do an Internet search.

AMEN !!! .....
2017-1-3
Use props
DL pilot cadet
lvl.1
Australia

Home button on my remote came loose about a month after first use and sounded like a loose screw in the remote. So I let it go as the button still worked, thinking one day if I don't crash it, I can simply open the remote and screw the button back in. Then about 2 weeks out of warranty I found a small crack on the P3A under a motor...never crashed and only 20 flights...but 2 weeks out of warranty. Flight logs would show I didn't fly it outside warranty, in fact my last flight would have been about 2 months before expiry.

Contacted DJI, they said too late. Even though in Australia the manufacturer can't hide behind the 12 month time limit if it is reasonable to expect the product should last longer, the email run around was designed to wear us out, well it did with me. Fixed the remote myself, it was a mess, at least 6 screw mounts were cracked beyond repair and I found cracks indicating the power button would also come loose soon, so glued both buttons in position.

Anyway, I love the product, love the progress being made by DJI, but a word of caution to all about inflexibility with claims and beware the remote can give you problems as well.

Cheers all.
2017-1-15
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I get the Weld-On 5 free at the local plastic shop on refills.  They sold me some small one or two ounce applicator bottle with a needle for a lid for a couple of bucks and said to come back when I needed  more.  It evaporates pretty quick too.  Dribbles too if you don't hold a negative pressure on the needle bottle which is sort of tricky to operate.  They probably buy it by the gallons.  The plastic shop guys know they types of plastics I've shown them and can recommend the proper glues to use too.

I wouldn't be surprised if some hobby shop had some super glue that is watery thin and would work as well on plastic.

2017-1-17
Use props
Randy2747
lvl.1

United States

I just bought my new P3A opened the box and I had cracks!! I contacted DJI and asked for them to send me a shell so I can fix it instead of sending it to them. So what did they do.....they sent me a return label for them to fix it! UGH!!! I just spent $1,000 for a drone that I cant even use! talk about MAD!!!! how long does it take them to fix it and send it back? I sure hope it doesn't take months!!!!and I also hope they make this inconvenience right by giving me a gift card, accessories, or a free battery. this is unbelievable!!!

Randy

ps. I will give them credit they was very fast to respond to my email

2017-1-21
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

did u ask if they can just send u an advanced replacement, keeping your credit card as a guarantee that u will return the current one? Weird! Hope they take care of u quickly and well!
2017-1-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules