Range Booster?
12Next >
9528 45 2016-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Guntert
lvl.2
Flight distance : 766260 ft

Ok, I know changing or moding anything is just not a great idea.. Drone world wants 1000 for its booster and I could get another drone for that price. So is there any suggestions?? Thanks in advance... I have asked many questions here and all get answered quick.. You guys are so helpful to us Newbies..
2016-9-30
Use props
billwish76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft

dbs mod. like 120
2016-9-30
Use props
Guntert
lvl.2

easy to install?
2016-9-30
Use props
cubguy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85505 ft
United States

Being a FNG here also I can tell you about my limited experience. I send my controller to Drone Nerds for the antenna up grade. Did not go well. A lot more to the story. I want to keep my drone as low as possible. Being a pilot, and knowing there are a lot of low flying aircraft here in Alaska, it was very important to me. Well I did the same flights and had to maintain the same altitude.  There was no change. Take my advice and don't do it.
2016-9-30
Use props
Sam999
lvl.3
Flight distance : 20856 ft
Greece

got the terminator antennas here :

http://forum.dji.com/thread-53638-1-1.html
2016-10-1
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Guntert,

Mods void the warranty and leave you open to problems.  Before you go and spend the cost of a new drone try to use a set of Parabolic Range Extenders.  I got mine for $10 and $1 of that was for shipping (Amazon - Kinghard Radar Antenna Range Booster For DJI Phantom 3 Inspire 1 TX Signal Extender Amplifier).  They work great, at least for my needs.  They are sometimes called WindSurfers.  Be sure to get the copper ones.  Some brands are exactly like mine and sell for $14-$20.  If you get a set that are connected, it cuts your flexibility.  I use mine in a number of different configurations.

Most of all, if you get a real powerful mod version, do realize that if you fly for distance, your battery is going to run out way before you start to lose any signal.  How will you get home with such a waste of power?  Penetration of vegetation is another story.  I use my parabolics to penetrate the jungle and they work great.  But, do you need a mod to penetrate vegetation where you will be flying?  Here is a link to a thread I posted on the subject.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-60563-1-1.html

I have also attached a photo of what the parabolics look like.

Aloha and Drone On!
NormalP.jpg
2016-10-1
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 286198 ft
Netherlands

Windsurfers help, DBS Drone World's antenna is nothing more than a DBS itelite mod.  As someone said $100 max.  Easy to do? Depends.. If you're handy, have the right tools, take you time, it's not a problem.  MAXX UAV sells kit and has video showing detailed instructions on doing the mod.  If you want to max it a little more, pick up a GL 300A RC and do the mod there (which also leaves your stock antenna stock).  The 300A has the strongest transmission signal to start with.  However these are line of sight improvements (meaning clear between you and the aircraft).  Trees soak up the signal, buildings can block signal..  The only thing that helps with penetration through trees, etc. is by also adding amplified boosters.  THEN, you're only limited by the battery... which means unless you're also modding the aircraft..  :-)  But that's another whole story..  These do give you a greater sense of confidence in not losing the signal as quickly..
2016-10-1
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

2016-10-1
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Just get a parabolic wind surfer, less than 25 dollars.  I can fly over 3 miles away and then Must turn around anyway because of battery  limitations.  Save your Money  and just get one of these.

There is some new tech coming around the corner.

donnie
2016-10-1
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-10-1 05:01
Aloha Guntert,

Mods void the warranty and leave you open to problems.  Before you go and spe ...

Cateman , why did you not get the Long Cable  ?

donnie
2016-10-1
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-10-1 04:36
Cateman , why did you not get the Long Cable  ?

Aloha Donnie,

This is the long cable, it is wrapped up around the legs.  That is part of the problem.  I have since changed the cables and other parts of the configuration.  The coiled cables create interference so they have to go.  Otherwise, the configuration works well.  Mahalo for the back-up!

It is interesting to see how these range boosters do much more than boost range.  I use mine as a jungle penetrater.  I am on an island, how far can I fly!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-10-1
Use props
fireman01
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1550558 ft
Czechia

Hello Guntert, i have same windsurfers like cetaman and works really great. In open area i can fly more then 6 km away from home point, without any signal lossess. One important thing, when you flying, point your antenna directly to your bird as windsurfers modyfiing signal direction. Greeteng from Czech
2016-10-1
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-10-1 23:17
Aloha Donnie,

This is the long cable, it is wrapped up around the legs.  That is part of the ...

Aloha , back at you brother !, cant wait to get back to Hawaii,Maui to be exact.  We  decided next year when my daughter gets out of Med School, take last Holiday with my Daughter.

Cheers- donnie
2016-10-2
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Guntert,

As fireman noted, you have to be very careful where the antennas are aimed.  This is true of all the mods mentioned in the other posts to.  Range boosters are very directional.  If you aim the wrong way for more than three seconds, you can lose the signal and end up with a Return to Home.  So, whatever you decide to get be careful when you use them

Sometimes, to get around this directionality problem, I remove one of my boosters so the whole coverage of that one antennae can help with my connection to my Phamtom.  That is one of the nice things about flying Phantoms and other quads, there are so many creative solutions for problems.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-10-2
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-10-2 01:03
Aloha , back at you brother !, cant wait to get back to Hawaii,Maui to be exact.  We  decided next ...

Aloha Donnie,

It is nice to hear you are still coming out here, but now alluding to the new technology flying soon, what quad will you be flying when you get here?  Is that new one amazing or what!

Yeah, that is going to be the last Holiday, at least a long Holiday, you will get to have for a couple years with your Daughter, so really enjoy it.  After this her real learning experience will start - residency.  They are lucky to get some sleep much less a vacation.

Good to hear from you again!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-10-4
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

There are many options. A windsurfer is a cheap and very easy add on that does not void your warrenty.  Most will do this option, but others like myself with do a DBS MOD or Argtech to boost the performance further.  It really boils down to what you feel comfortable doing, but I would suggest a windsurfer first.

2016-10-4
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I tested them both and they are very close in performance.

I have not yet completed the entire testing (3-db bw, beam width -side lobes, soft structure penetration)  but as far as distance over clear path between RC and P4 I got 3 times the distance I was getting with stock antenna. The simple parabolic booster gave me about 75% increase. Both set up tracked very close in performance.  The only issue I had with the DBS is the heavy bracket and the time to set up.  I like things simple and fast to set up.

So I moded it using rigid cables and I plan to test it soon.  Here is a pic.  

But remember; every P4 and every RC have tolerances, so my results may not be your results.

ITELITE_MOded

ITELITE_MOded

FieldHardened

FieldHardened
2016-10-4
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Easy to carry now and easy to set up.  Same as the Argtek set up.  I have both. So far they track very closely in distance.
I would never add active amps; the added noise will outweigh the benefits.
2016-10-4
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Cetaman Posted at 2016-10-1 21:01
Aloha Guntert,

Mods void the warranty and leave you open to problems.  Before you go and spe ...

Why the copper wind-surfers? Mine have just been delivered but are silver. I would have thought it was the parabolic shaped metal to reflect the maximum signal to the antenna which did the deed, rather than the colour. Just wanted to understand if there was a difference...
2016-10-5
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2016-10-5 18:49
Why the copper wind-surfers? Mine have just been delivered but are silver. I would have thought it ...

Aloha Punchbuggy,

It is the parabolic shape that vastly improves the performance of the antennas.  The material they are made out of probably also has an effect.  It will be interesting to hear what you think about the performance of your silver parabolics.  I got the Kinghard Radar Antenna Range Booster For DJI Phantom 3 Inspire 1 TX Signal Extender Amplifier because they were independent of each other and cost me $10.  I have no copper to make the parabolic shape from, so I thought it would be a good test.  They have not failed me yet.

Let us know how the silver ones do.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-10-5
Use props
Guntert
lvl.2

Cetaman Posted at 2016-10-1 18:01
Aloha Guntert,

I bought these and it gave me another 30 feet....
2016-10-6
Use props
Guntert
lvl.2

Thanks for all your post, I want a mod that will give me distance the furthest I have gone is 2245 feet before it returned home. I am flying around a man made lake with houses all over the lake. I would like to fly more of the lake and not lose video. I just want to go further... I cant mod it myself cause I just am no good at it. I would like to buy another controller and mod from same spot and just pay. Any suggestions?
2016-10-6
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Guntert Posted at 2016-10-6 11:43
I bought these and it gave me another 30 feet....

Aloha Guntert,

Be sure the antennae are mounted correctly and aimed the right way and the right direction.  A slip-up can cause a loss of signal.  Maybe the copper ones could have gotten you more distance.  I would need photos to comment more.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-10-6
Use props
Guntert
lvl.2

2016-10-8
Use props
Guntert
lvl.2

I cant seem to upload pictures
2016-10-8
Use props
Guntert
lvl.2

try this link... https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtP0p-1UCI3Mk1QKmDYva8n9bHux
I cant get even to a mile... Would like to have something stronger but dont want to take the controller apart myself to do it. Any where I can order a whole new one with mld already done? I live in Stockton, Ca and I am willing to travel if I neeed to to get the right mod done. I have a Phantom 4 and pre ordered a Mavic Pro. I live on a lake and I was asked by the board to fly the lake to see back yards and bulk heads. It would save them gas, time and money. Of course I am doing it all for free. I also have a friend that wants me to fly he 30 acres of land to see what work still needs to be done. He is building a house out there. So I need a good mod.... Im not macanical at all, In fact the ex wife wont let me use power tools or take anything apart cause I alwaus break it. Any help would be so awsome... Thanks again
2016-10-8
Use props
Guntert
lvl.2

Cetaman Posted at 2016-10-7 12:52
Aloha Guntert,

Be sure the antennae are mounted correctly and aimed the right way and the ri ...

I posted some pictures
2016-10-8
Use props
Heebus
lvl.4

Canada

Guntert Posted at 2016-10-9 05:37
try this link... https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtP0p-1UCI3Mk1QKmDYva8n9bHux
I cant get even to a mile... Would ...

maxxuav.com u send them ur controller they do the work for u, I think they do it in a day or 2

they actually have the how to video on the website to show u how to do it urself too
2016-10-8
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Guntert Posted at 2016-10-8 19:35
I posted some pictures

Aloha Guntert,

Those are the connected type of parabolics.  I wonder if the pin holding them together causes a problem?  Is the pin metal?  Be sure you mount the parabolics like the ones in my photo above.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-10-8
Use props
cubguy
lvl.2
United States

Any one else using this one?
[img]https://forum11.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/%5BURL=http://s141.photobucket.com/user/AnchorageAlaska/media/djimod_zpsmwq1ta0z.jpg.html%5D[/URL][/img]?
2016-10-9
Use props
Guntert
lvl.2

No one has been able to answer my question, where can I order a new controller already modded?
2016-10-9
Use props
Heebus
lvl.4

Canada

MaxxUav.com does, but u still have to purchase the panels, and the boosters if u decide u need them.

https://www.maxxuav.com/collecti ... tom-4-gl300c-remote

FPVcustoms also has there own version, tho I never used it so I'm not surehow it works.

http://fpvcustoms.com/products/p ... ludes-free-shipping

took all of 10 seconds to locate on the site had u just gone to the websites that were provided for u too look at...
2016-10-10
Use props
cubguy
lvl.2
United States

Guntert Posted at 2016-10-9 22:01
No one has been able to answer my question, where can I order a new controller already modded?

Guntert,

I'll sell you mine. I'll take your P4 controller and $250. The work was done by Drone Nerds.
2016-10-10
Use props
Guntert
lvl.2

Heebus Posted at 2016-10-10 22:44
MaxxUav.com does, but u still have to purchase the panels, and the boosters if u decide u need them. ...

which one of the two would you go with or do you have and are you happy with it?
2016-10-10
Use props
Heebus
lvl.4

Canada

Guntert Posted at 2016-10-11 15:28
which one of the two would you go with or do you have and are you happy with it?

I have only used the maxxrange set up, did my controller myself. Guys in my facebook group have been getting 13 miles range with that, u will hear plenty of stay n line of sight, thats breaking the laws, that why I dont post here too much anymore.with this panel and boosters I have flown 20 000 feet + , but thats as far as I think I can go safely with out modding the bird and batteries. I'm not sure what the other ones capable of, never tried it... I'm sure I'll take flack for this post, line of sight, saftey, doubters, what ever...
2016-10-11
Use props
jtapex1
New

France

I also use the IkElite MaxxRange antenna panel and it gives me substantially more range than using windsurfers.  It is directional, but the results are quite apparent.  I'm selling it off now because I am switching to a Mavic, but I don't think you would be disappointed with it.  You can buy the kit new from Maxx UAV for $145, and for $19 more buy the cables you can use if you don't want to drill holes in your controller case.  
2016-10-11
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I have tested both set ups, and so far they have given me very similar range.  My tests are over water, no obstructions.  They do not do well once you have to go through soft structures, like trees. But remember, each P4 and each RC are not identical, they have tolerances, so your results may be different.
The Blue Proton is simpler to use, all you do is screw the 2 panels on and they are smaller.  They now have a kit which also includes an omni antenna when you do close up follow me, etc.  I did not have an issue up close, even when I was not aiming it, so this new option is for people in urban areas.  

The ITElite system is configured with a heavy bracket and you have to connect the rf cables.  To simplify this, I am using semi rigid cables so I do not have to carry, nor use the bracket. Based upon my tests, I think the ITElite has a very small disadvantage providing a slightly narrower side lobe, so you have to aim it more precisely.  But all I do is just keep the line to the P4 in the middle of the top of the screen; (keep the compass direction unlocked, so as you move the RC, the P4 line to you is in the middle all the time). With the Blue Proton all you have to do is place the 2 panels in a V configuration to get a wider side lobe. But a wider side lobe, means less direct distance.

If you decide to do the RC mod, which is very easy, just remember to:

Take the USB board out completely by removing the ribbon cable and the 2 side ribbons.  It is impossible to take the ribbon the way they show you on the video, and it can damage the ribbon cable.  Once you remove the little board, then the ribbon comes out easier and straight out.

Use lock washers and tighten the cables tight, because you do not want the internal rf cables to move, when you takeoff or tighten the antennas later on. The internal cables can interfere with the stick controllers, and then you may notice that the P4 will move on it's own, even though you are not touching the sticks.

Try to keep the internal rf cables away from the circuitry as much as possible; altough these have good shielding, higher power low frequency signals can leak in and degrade performance.

2016-10-13
Use props
Guntert
lvl.2

Ok I did the Maxx UAV EvoLite Kit Plus and bought Modified DJI GL300C Remote at same time so I didnt have to mod it myself. I did get a little further with video but not as far as I wanted. I really like Jake at Maxx UAV, very personal and very helpful. Now I am trying to decied if I want to order a different booster or just send in my old remote to Drone-world to have them upgrade the whole remote to the falcon. Again I can only get 3000 feet of video before it returns home. That is about 1000 more then I was getting before. I dont want to fly without video, whole point for me is to see where I am flying and things to look at. I already order the Mavic Pro but I want to get more video distance on this one. Any more ideas?
2016-10-20
Use props
Guntert
lvl.2

Heebus Posted at 2016-10-11 23:40
I have only used the maxxrange set up, did my controller myself. Guys in my facebook group have be ...

I dont know if you can PM people on here but I would love to know more about how you got your system to go so far. Hope you will contact me at guntert_drone@icloud.com
2016-10-20
Use props
Guntert
lvl.2

cubguy@alaska.n Posted at 2016-10-10 03:42
Any one else using this one?
[/URL][/img]?

how far were you able to go?
2016-10-20
Use props
12Next >