Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Compass issues
1357 4 2015-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RevoMikey
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi all

Over the last few days i have been having calibration issues, i do the compass calibration and it just flashes red, i unplug and start again and the same happens, sometimes then it flashes amber but mostly red, sometimes amber and red, this all points to a compass issue.

After a failed outing with it i got home and reset, fresh battery and got it to hold on green flashing, but i was flying in my street and i noticed the rear led started flashing red as if it had lost its link, the gps was totally gone and it was out of control all over the place, i managed to fly it back to my house, she smashed into the top of the fence and landed by my car. no damage to either dji, fence or car thankfully.

After this event i un plugged the compass and checked all connections inside the phantom, i did the magnet trick around the compass and after taking it back out it seems a lot better but i did get the red blinking led after calibration once or twice.

What do you guys think? Nazam shows no faults.

Faulty compass?

2015-2-1
Use props
gil
Captain
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Two suggestions, do the compass calibration outside away from any possible metallic interference and make sure the remote control is at least 10 feet away from the Phantom.
2015-2-1
Use props
droneflyers.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Colin mentions in one of his videos that you may get compass errors if there is a metal sewer pipe near under the ground - just saying that you are flying in a street, so magnetic interference may come into play. Does the error stop once the Phantom has lifted off?

Can you take it to an open field - no power lines nearby - and calibrate it there and see what happens?

Are you sure the red blinker isn't low battery when you are pushing on the sticks?
2015-2-2
Use props
RevoMikey
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Thanks for the tips fellas, it does it wherever i am, in a big field or outside my home, but normally only on the second battery pack.  do i need to let it cool down between flights?

I ran one pack through earlier and all was fine, i landed, fitted pack 2 and the issue came back, out of desperation i decided to rebind the tx and then it came back to life and flashed green, perhaps all this was a binding issue?

when i got home i flew a pack in my street and pack 2 went in fine so fingers crossed.
2015-2-2
Use props
kazdul
First Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ran 3 batteries straight after another this afternoon so you shouldn't have to wait. I found calibrating the compass and more specifically locking on to GPS was difficult near my house. How long are you having to wait until all green LED flashes start?
2015-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules