Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
osmo mobile - is it actually that special?
8265 11 2016-10-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
omriamos
lvl.1

Israel

I just watched a bunch of youtube videos about the osmo mobile and some other smartphone gimbals.
The osmo mobile is definitely the most impressive of them all, however most of its impressive features comes with a tradeoff - you HAVE to use their DJI GO app.
Now, I've seem some complete walkthroughs for this app, like this one:

Or this one:

And I have to honestly say, and I'm sorry I have to say this, but this app is really bad.
The UI is oldish and looks like something from the year 2010, it is EXTREMELY basic in terms of configurations, functionality.... comparing to the original camera app of my S7 Edge for example.
It will not allow me to record HDR Videos, it will actually not even allow me to record 4K (wtf), slow-motion, or any kind of the "pro" functions that are available with the original (and some other 3rd party) app - like controling the shutter speed, iso, etc'.

Honestly, even if I will get the osmo mobile, I highly doubt I will use its app. So there's that.
Now, if I will not use the DJI GO app, I will actually lose almost EVERYTHING that is unique for this gimbal: The auto tracking, the motion panorama, the physical buttons on the handgrip that will not work outside of their app...

Add this to these other cons against the osmo mobile:
1. Unlike the original osmo (or the osmo+) you can't turn the camera into "selfie mode" WHILE RECORDING, so if you're doing like an interview or a presentation of some kind, you actually have to stop the video if you want to show yourself and then switch to the rear camera back and forth.
2. Again, unlike the original osmo, since now the camera is also your screen, you can't see what you're recording if you are trying to record something that is not in your eyes level (like a low ground footage, or some high over the head shoot with the monopod) .
3. unlike the original... the head is not removable!!! So if in the future I would like to maybe get the better x5 camera - my grip is useless and I have to buy a complete set from zero.
4. AND THIS IS CRITICAL - YOU CAN'T USE THE Z-AXIS ADDON WITH THE OSMO MOBILE!!! This is probably the only real unique feature that I've found to be only in Osmo's gimbals, but it is actually not available at all for the osmo MOBILE!

5. plus there's all this audio issue that requires some "unofficial" tweaking like leaving the phone half way out in order to fit a 3.5mm cable...

So, considering all the cons I have against the (otherwise really awesome) osmo mobile, I have a really hard time feeling is the "best buy".
The main problem obviously is the lack of better options from DJI at a reasonable price: the original osmo and the osmo+ are just too expensive for a camera that is essentially the same (or even worse) than my Galaxy S7E, and the osmo pro (with the x5 camera) is of course WAY more expensive and in a completely different price range.

This leads me to think....
If I won't be using the DJI GO app anyway, and will lose 90% of the osmo mobile's unique features, why even bother?
I can get, for example, the Smooth C - for just $200 (so the osmo mobile is 50% more expensive!) and I will get pretty much the same results (which are not perfect as there is no z-axis fix, but then the osmo mobile doesn't have that either) and it is actually looking more subtle so it will draw less attention from people on the street..

Another similar product is the feiyutech g4 pro for example:https://wahbiang.com/2015/11/30/ ... g4-pro-vs-dji-osmo/

Another option is of course the new offering from GoPro.
The new hero5 + the karma gimbal (handle only, without the drone) will cost about $600 which is pretty much like the original osmo - but it will come with a much more robust camera, completely waterproof (without any housing) and stabilized (youtube demos shows great stuff even on the z-axis), and it will even come with a much more decent audio out of the box.
Of couse it also has its flaus, like missing out on the super cool "robot-head" that can turn around into selfie mode, or the ability to connect a phone / other accessories to the hand grip for making a convenient video rig... But even though - one big pro that gopro have is its very wide range of connection accessories - you can actually connect this little now-stabilized camera to EVERYTHING - including yourself - very easily... something that will be harder with the osmo (original/plus/mobile).

What do you think?
Am I missing something?
Please share your thoughts because I have a really hard time deciding what to do

Thanks!

2016-10-1
Use props
bleyten
lvl.3

You don't HAVE to use the DJI Go app. In fact I've hardly used the DJI Go app because it's beyond crap. The gimbal stabilizes just fine soon as it's powered up. Then just use whatever camera app you want.
2016-10-1
Use props
omriamos
lvl.1

Israel

Yes, this is what I said.I'm just saying that without this app - most of the unique features of the osmo mobile are gone - so why even bother with the osmo instead of some cheaper (maybe even better is other ways) alternatives?
I realized that this is a dji forum, but still....

Here's some TL;DR highlights from my post:

"Now, if I will not use the DJI GO app, I will actually lose almost EVERYTHING that is unique for this gimbal: The auto tracking, the motion panorama, the physical buttons on the handgrip that will not work outside of their app...

Add this to these other cons against the osmo mobile:
So, considering all the cons I have against the (otherwise really awesome) osmo mobile, I have a really hard time feeling is the "best buy".
This leads me to think....
If I won't be using the DJI GO app anyway, and will lose 90% of the osmo mobile's unique features, why even bother?
I can get, for example, the Smooth C - for just $200 (so the osmo mobile is 50% more expensive!) and I will get pretty much the same results (which are not perfect as there is no z-axis fix, but then the osmo mobile doesn't have that either)
Another similar product is the feiyutech g4 pro
Another option is of course the new offering from GoPro.
The new hero5 + the karma gimbal (handle only, without the drone) will cost about $600 which is pretty much like the original osmo - but it will come with a much more robust camera, completely waterproof (without any housing) and stabilized (youtube demos shows great stuff even on the z-axis), and it will even come with a much more decent audio out of the box... Of couse it also has its flaus...

What do you think?
Am I missing something?
Please share your thoughts because I have a really hard time deciding what to do

2016-10-1
Use props
apkhou
Flight distance : 3802 ft
United States

bleyten Posted at 2016-10-1 15:37
You don't HAVE to use the DJI Go app. In fact I've hardly used the DJI Go app because it's beyond cr ...

exactly, why buy OSMO mobile then ? there are better/cheaper alternatives if DJI Go app is not used.

Even i have the exact same thoughts as the original poster (Omriamos)
2016-10-1
Use props
omriamos
lvl.1

Israel

yup... and that's a real shame because I really wanted to like the osmo.
I just don't get it, even as just an handgrip, why did they remove the option to add the z-axis accessory???
2016-10-1
Use props
omriamos
lvl.1

Israel

Anyone with an Osmo Mobile can share a similar footage?

Just a quick comparison, here's are two Ikan Fly-X3-Plus sample videos:

You can see that it's doing AMAZING JOB, while the osmo mobile sample videos I saw (on this forum) shows a completely different story
And that's really a shame because I really wanted to like the osmo mobile... it has some cool features + multiple accessories like a tripod, extension arm, cold-show connectors for light/mic...

2016-10-2
Use props
bleyten
lvl.3

I'm not sure I'd call a gimbal that broke after two takes of a demo video "a better alternative", cheaper yes. The gimmicky features of the DJI Go app were personally not my primary reason for buying the Osmo Mobile, I mainly wanted it for stabilization while panning and still video and so far it's been great for that. If you're looking to capture footage that doesn't bob when you walk you are correct, the Osmo Mobile is not for you. I guess it all boils down to intended use. I'm excited to use my Osmo Mobile in Hawaii over the next 10 days.
2016-10-2
Use props
omriamos
lvl.1

Israel

bleyten Posted at 2016-10-2 17:17
I'm not sure I'd call a gimbal that broke after two takes of a demo video "a better alternative", ch ...

So what will be good for me?
I was looking for the osmo/osmo+ with the z-axis, but the posts on this forum show me that it's a terrible idea - worse IQ than my phone, very bad auto focus issues (on the osmo+), audio sync issues all over the place... meh.

2016-10-2
Use props
bleyten
lvl.3

omriamos Posted at 2016-10-2 22:31
So what will be good for me?
I was looking for the osmo/osmo+ with the z-axis, but the posts on th ...

Here's a video I made with the Osmo Mobile. Lots of walking with minimal bobbing noticeable.
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid522161
2016-10-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Thanks for the test, food for thought.
2016-10-18
Use props
RegDawg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 54091 ft
United States

Same boat here. I have the original Osmo. For me I find the quality of footage to be excellent. The downsides for me are it can be a hassle setting everything up just for a quick shoot. The Osmo (original) definitely isn't something you break out for a quick shoot. You set it up and plan to shoot for awhile. The other downside for me is the app can disconnect and you have to disconnect and reconnect the Osmo to the app which is frustrating especially when your in the middle of shooting. The audio is an issue but I learned to live with it and plus I use the Rode Videomicro anyway.

Now enter the Karma Grip. I'm already a goproer and I already know how awesome the footage can be with the gopro's. The Karma Grip brings stabilization to the gopro (along with built in stabilization with the Hero 5). Whats great about this set-up is its set-up for a quick shot. One push of a button and its ready to shoot. The Grip and Gopro are rugged and can be thrown into a backpack. No app needed to use. If you use the Hero 5, you'll use the LCD to frame your shot. You can also mount the grip on any of the mounts gopro already has to get stabilization.

I was considering the Osmo Mobile but I think I'm going with the Karma Grip and perhaps keep the original Osmo for the special occasion shooting. The Karma Grip will be for vacations and playing with the kids.  
2016-10-21
Use props
SnowBirdNL
lvl.1
Canada

There are other third party apps that can work with the OSMO Mobile..

FilMic Pro is foremost.

This app can control all the buttons on the handle, even switch the joystick so it sets exposure etc, and switch back to moving very quickly.

2017-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules