Do you use B4UFLY app?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CabinPete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98 ft
United States

I downloaded the app and found out I really have no place to locally fly without the threat of legal action.

I live within 5 miles of a small airport and numerous helipads at hospitals, fire & police stations.
The app gives a warrning that action is required. I called the local airport - answering machine,it does not have a tower. No way I'm calling every place with a helipad.
I have been flying in my yard with a 30M limit. The town I live in has all tree lined streets, line of site is limited. Although it was fun it became boring and most likely breaking a rule (if a fullsize plane if flying at 30M where I live he or she has a lot more to worry about other than my drone).
I called the local authorities to see if I can fly in parks - NO.

The P3S worked perfectly and I loved flying. With that said I will return it and wait to see what the future will bring. I am a member of the AMA (I was a 1/4 scale scratch builder for many years, a life time ago - this was my way back in to flying) so hopefully they will push for more realistic rules, maybe even have designated areas in parks, time will tell.

Best to all

2016-10-2
Use props
roymoon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 143901 ft
United States

The rules will not change.
If anything they will get more strict.
The rules don't prevent model airplanes do they?
Just be reasonable when you fly.
2016-10-2
Use props
jamesazen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15262 ft

Give Airmap a try, I found B4UFly to be unstable on my android device, and Airmap has a load more features.
As for your area, depends on what class airspace you're in, as there is no tower at the nearby airfield, you should be allowed to fly in your yard with no issues.
In my area some county parks allow flight IF you carry insurance and use only a designated space. Otherwise, it's fairly restricted due to city and county ordinances.
So I have to roam a bit, and find places where there aren't restrictions, the further from civilization I go, the better it gets.

Don't give up, good luck
2016-10-2
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Go talk to your airport manager.  There is no FAA, so he is next in line.  I am in a similar situation, but I live out in the country.  I talked to the AM and he said unofficially he didn't care as long as it's outside the fence.  Well, I'm not going to take that at face value.  I'm a pilot and I know the pattern and practices around here.  We also have a hospital helicopter that flies over my area as they transit to other towns in one direction, even though the helipad and hangar are over 5 miles away.  Add to that, we have plenty of spray plane activity during certain seasons.  You have to be aware of all of this.  After you get the airport manager's blessing, you have to HAVE and USE common sense when you fly.  If you've got that many trees, you have to leave the area to fly.  You cannot fly safely if you cannot see your bird.  I know I'll get flak for saying that, but it is true.  You are in an airport area, and you have to be mindful of other traffic.  You need to be able to see and hear other traffic if it is near your quad and avoid any conflict.  You can't do that if you can't see it.
2016-10-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules