Does DJI add a buffer to the no fly zone around Washington D.C.?
1682 8 2016-10-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
superjet96
lvl.3
Flight distance : 142743 ft
United States

On every FAA and other map I have seen my house is located very close to the edge of the Washington D.C. no fly zone.
When I look at the geo unlock from DJI I am now just inside of the no fly zone.
Is DJI adding what looks like a 1 mile buffer zone to the existing no fly zone around Washington D.C.?  I am hoping their map is incorrect and is really like the FAA maps!

The first map is every FAA map I have seen.  I am where the red dot is and the FAA no fly zone is in blue.  All clear!

This second map is the DJI no fly zone map.  I am the unfortunate yellow dot (difficult to see) JUST inside of the DJI no fly map.  It has me about 300 yards inside of the NFZ!

2016-10-3
Use props
jstefanop
lvl.2
Flight distance : 176312 ft
United States

Where do you check the DJI no fly zone?
2016-10-3
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

jstefanop Posted at 2016-10-4 12:10
Where do you check the DJI no fly zone?

https://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc?www=v1  here
2016-10-4
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

To OP, this seems like the case, probably because DJI just want to be safer side of the regulation, so it expands the zone a bit to make sure DJI drones don't go into these area.  

I guess it's your call, you can always drive a little bit to fly it.
2016-10-4
Use props
superjet96
lvl.3
United States

While I think a buffer is a good idea I purchased thinking I was good but I only looked at the FAA charts.  My guess is it will not operate at all so I can't just walk out my door and fly possibly.  Around here is isn't easy to find a place to legally fly because everything is either county or private owned.  I am guessing if I am in red it won't fly?
2016-10-4
Use props
Toomer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19475 ft
United States

Hi!  Sorry to bump this thread from October back up to the top - but I'm wondering if anyone figured out the discrepancy?  Given that I'm in the NoVa area - and about to pull the trigger on a Mavic - I'm definitely interested.  I've noticed similar disparities between the "Airmap" site, and the FAA's maps - especially from their B4UFly app.  The Airmap apps seem to be a bit more generous - for example, in the Airmap map there's actually a decent amount of land between where the 15nm ring around DCA ends, and the 5nm ring around Dulles airport begins - lots of Reston and Herndon seem to be "ok to fly" (given the other 15-30nm restrictions) when I look at Airmap.  But if you look at the maps in B4Ufly, the land between the 15nm DCA ring and the 5nm IAD ring is just a tiny sliver ... it actually *splits* Lake Fairfax park - somewhere I was going to try to do some flying.
2017-1-16
Use props
superjet96
lvl.3
United States

I ended up cancelling my order because of the technical issues but I am back again and looking at pulling the trigger.  I just wanted to be sure there weren't any issues that couldn't be solved by firmware and it seems it is the case.  So the production line is running properly so thinking about it again.  Did you purchase yet?
2017-1-25
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I couldn't get your map link to work for some reason -- this is the map we apparently should be referencing instead of all the other ones out there: http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/map

Looks like you're in a warning zone, no unlocking needed.

2017-1-25
Use props
superjet96
lvl.3
United States

The bottom map I posted was the DJI map from the site you linked to.  It looks like they have changed it since then!  Thanks for sending that, I feel a bit better now.  Good thing too because I pulled the trigger on it yesterday.  Glad to hear I can at least learn in my own yard.  I can't do too much because it is surrounded by trees.  I have a good open place to learn though.
2017-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules