Lee County Florida Ordinance against Drones
3759 11 2016-10-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MGR57
lvl.2

United States

Lee County Florida has imposed an Ordinance that prohibits takeoff and landing on public beaches, and in all parks in their county.  Note Section 9.8.  There "enforcement" personnel are issuing "No Drone" documents with the Section 9.8 highlighted.
Drone haters are gaining ground.

Lee County Florida Ordinance 06-26.pdf

319 KB, Down times: 50

LCO0626

2016-10-4
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha MGR,

The .pdf file did not open for some reason.  Note the ordinance does not allow take-off and landing on public beaches and county parks.  Some private parks may also prohibit drone land support.  But, you can still fly over those areas as long as you take-off and land on private or allowed properties.  The airspace is FAA controlled, a Federal responsibility.  

Do realize though that if you go that route, you will have to be fully compliant with FAA regulations since anyone can complain to the FAA about your flights and ask if you are compliant.  Make sure you know what you are doing according to the new FAA rules.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-10-4
Use props
MGR57
lvl.2

United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-10-5 02:49
Aloha MGR,

The .pdf file did not open for some reason.  Note the ordinance does not allow take ...

Hi Cetaman,

Reloaded the PDF.  Should work now.  Thanks for the reply.

Happy droning!
2016-10-5
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

MGR57 Posted at 2016-10-5 03:21
Hi Cetaman,

Reloaded the PDF.  Should work now.  Thanks for the reply.

Aloha MGR,

Are you able to bring it up from the Forum screen?  DJI Home is indicating the failure.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-10-5
Use props
MGR57
lvl.2

United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-10-5 19:30
Aloha MGR,

Are you able to bring it up from the Forum screen?  DJI Home is indicating the fa ...

Hi Cetaman:
OK...think I got it this time.  I am able to download from forum...

Thanks....happy droning!
2016-10-5
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

MGR57 Posted at 2016-10-5 17:23
Hi Cetaman:
OK...think I got it this time.  I am able to download from forum...

Aloha MGR,

It works!  Normally I would say, "It Flies!", except the ordinance resolution prohibits flying along with most other human endeavors.  I like the last one.  Really nips the homeless sleeping in the parks problem.

At least it does not specifically mention drones and does allow areal activities when allowed by the director.  So what do people use the parks for?  The introduction mentioned nudity!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-10-5
Use props
MGR57
lvl.2

United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-10-5 23:45
Aloha MGR,

It works!  Normally I would say, "It Flies!", except the ordinance resolution pro ...

Hi Cetaman!

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, as Drones become more popular, the "Drone Haters" will be demanding more ordinances.  Big Money talks down here in South Florida.

I am Part 107 certified, a commercial airline pilot, and always fly responsibly.  That being said, being courteous is resulting in a narrowing window of recreational flying locations where I can go without somebody using their "authoritah " to tell me to move on.

I fear it will only get worse.

Happy Droning!
2016-10-6
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

MGR57 Posted at 2016-10-6 08:51
Hi Cetaman!

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, as Drones become more popular, the "Drone Hater ...

Aloha MGR,

Mahalo for the background.  One option that appears to have not been tried is to get sponsored flying areas that can be approved by the County.  The reasonable approach is to accommodate all the citizens in a county, the Drone Haters and the Drone Lovers.  There are a number of unoccupied islands and wetlands in Lee County with sufficient acreage to accommodate Drone Lovers and model airplane enthusiasts.  This is the voice of reason.

If there is an AMA (Academy for Model Aeronautics) branch in Florida (probably), they could lobby for accommodation in Lee County.  In the Meet Up section of this Forum, you could get in touch with others in Lee County suffering under the onerous weight of the County Government.  They can also contact the AMA.  Connect the dots and use the Internet media and newspapers to stress the unreasonableness of the Drone Haters.  Big Money talks everywhere, but they get shouted down when they are talking unreasonably.  It is kind of hard to invade the privacy of the marsh fowl and alligators of a publicly accessible park that prohibits public nudity.  I think Florida already prohibits PIs from using drones and drone footage from being allowed in court.  You can always stuff an old sock into an unreasonable mouth.

As drones become more prevalent, and the public learns that cameras are used for other things than just invading peoples privacy; things will turn around.  Sure it will take time, but it can be done, and in the case of Lee County, that is about the only way it will get done.  Any other approach is probably illegal and just gives the Drone Haters what they need to keep Drone Lovers suppressed.  

Laying down and playing dead only gets you run over.  (Sorry, I am a community activist and neighborhood board member here in Kahalu'u, [Transportation & Safety Chair].  I specialize in media.)

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-10-6
Use props
digdat0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11896378 ft
United States

wow, this community seems to hate everything fun.
2016-10-6
Use props
MGR57
lvl.2

United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-10-6 16:37
Aloha MGR,

Mahalo for the background.  One option that appears to have not been tried is to  ...

Hi Cetaman:

Thanks for the reply.  Very informative, and something I will look into.  Course, in Lee County, we will probably be banished to Zika-carrying areas where we can operate, and our unborn children will have very small heads....
2016-10-6
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

MGR57 Posted at 2016-10-6 14:53
Hi Cetaman:

Thanks for the reply.  Very informative, and something I will look into.  Course, in  ...

Aloha MGR,

Be careful with the effects of the hurricane on the other side.  You guys is flat.  Hope you have some tall trees left after the storm!  I guess you have to fly the big planes a lot after the storm to play catch-up.

Here in Hawai'i, we have the 14,000 foot mountains and high winds aloft that tear up the top of the hurricanes for us.  We are so lucky!  But, we do get the wind and the rain, mostly the rain.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-10-6
Use props
MGR57
lvl.2

United States

Hi Cetaman,

Hurricane Matthew was basically a non-event here in SW Florida, thankfully.  And yeah, being flat doesn't do much to break up the hurricanes.  Yes, time to play catch-up at work.  Also, joined AMA last night.  Thanks for the info.....happy droning!
2016-10-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules