New H264 encoder on the Mavic?
2761 4 2016-10-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
First
lvl.2
Flight distance : 484928 ft
Sweden

After watching a certain raw video file I notice a very small amount of artefacting in moving trees and grass. Even the pan itself felt more organic than I'm used to from watching P4 videos. This leads me to believe that DJI (finally) has made changes to the encoding algorithm from the X3/P4 and the X5.

Is this the case or are my eyes deceiving me?

Have a nice day!
2016-10-5
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>

Who knows? They will never tell you. .h264 is a broad protocol - there are many adjustable options within even the older Ambarella chips used in Px and Inspire. IMO the P4 and I1 X3 videos are overly sharpened. It took me awhile to get used to the X5 when it first came out, thinking the images were 'soft' but I've since warmed to that 'look'. IQ is somewhat in the eye of the beholder. Do you agree?
2016-10-6
Use props
First
lvl.2
Flight distance : 484928 ft
Sweden

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-10-7 03:12
Who knows? They will never tell you. .h264 is a broad protocol - there are many adjustable options w ...

Beauty is certainly in the eyes of the beholder. IQ from a 1/2,3 inch sensor level isn't. There is bad and less bad IMHO. I think the Mavic shows definitely better quality, both in dynamic range and sharpness (not oversharpened as the X3 and P4, agree with you).

I wonder, does the Mavic record 1080p in 60mbit as well or is it the usual ~20mbit? If it is 1080p&60mbit, that would be a game changer. Far less codec compression!
2016-10-9
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Not sure that they have changed the H264 spec...  Otherwise it would not be H264 any more.  But they CAN change the encoding processor and data rate & encode settings.

Everything I have seen on the Specs and manuals seem to say it can record 1080P at 60mbit.

You also have to consider that people are uploading to YouTube and Vimeo which RE-COMPRESS the video AGAIN.  We also see recompression losses if they ran the footage through a edit software which may compress the footage.  But most of the quality loss we see on YouTube or Vimeo has to do with YouTube and Vimeo's encoders and settings.  Not the original footage.  There is a lot going on between the raw camera sensor, edit software and final upload to YouTube or Vimeo.
2016-10-9
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

First Posted at 2016-10-10 03:16
Beauty is certainly in the eyes of the beholder. IQ from a 1/2,3 inch sensor level isn't. There is ...

Every DJI installed Ambarella video processor has been set up to reach a limit of 60mbps @ 4K but at 1080p, they have strangely decided to scale the bit rate down.

Happy flying
2016-10-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules