Anyone Tried using a Sony Z5 Xperia on their Drones?
3753 13 2016-10-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
travelbug
New

Australia

I am thinking of getting the Mavic Pro. The Sony Z3 is listed for the Mavic Pro but not my Sony Z5 Xperia (a very recent model). I am wondering if the issue of compatibility is more to do with the version of Android on the mobile phone rather than the mobile phone itself - especially since my phone is quite new and should have all the features needed (I assume).

Has anyone else got a Sony Z5 Xperia and found out if it will work with the new Mavic Pro? I contacted DJI but they just said it is not on the list of mobile phones at present.

Thanks
2016-10-5
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Don't worry, I looked at the specs, 95% of the chance it will work fine.  They didn't put it on the list because they don't have time to test every phone in the market, and Sony phones are not the most popular phone brands.
2016-10-5
Use props
travelbug
New

Australia

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-6 11:19
Don't worry, I looked at the specs, 95% of the chance it will work fine.  They didn't put it on the  ...

Thanks DJI Thor - I was thinking the same but it is a big outlay to find that I need a different phone. The Sony Z5 warns that it will cut out/shut down video when it gets too hot and most mobiles seem to get hot with video so I am also wondering whether this has been an issue for anyone? I actually would prefer that the screen was part of the controller so you wouldn't need the phone at all - something for DJI to consider maybe? Also it would be one less thing to remember to take with you when going out.

Nice of you to check the specs for me - most grateful for your effort.

Regards
2016-10-5
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

travelbug Posted at 2016-10-6 13:53
Thanks DJI Thor - I was thinking the same but it is a big outlay to find that I need a different ph ...

I just checked the Z5 again.  It does get hot when doing resources intense activities, that's because of the notorious overheating Snapdragon 810 CPU. But it doesn't get to the point of shutting down.

So you should be fine, it just might get warm when you use it.
2016-10-5
Use props
nomad65
lvl.3

United Kingdom

travelbug Posted at 2016-10-6 06:53
Thanks DJI Thor - I was thinking the same but it is a big outlay to find that I need a different ph ...

My Sony xperia Z1 , wasn't on the list when i was checking on buying the DJI Osmo , but works fine .
2016-10-6
Use props
travelbug
New

Australia

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-6 14:26
I just checked the Z5 again.  It does get hot when doing resources intense activities, that's beca ...

Thanks again Thor
2016-10-6
Use props
travelbug
New

Australia

nomad65 Posted at 2016-10-6 16:24
My Sony xperia Z1 , wasn't on the list when i was checking on buying the DJI Osmo , but works fine ...

Thanks nomad65 this is good to hear
2016-10-6
Use props
fansa5e1fb66
lvl.2

United States

Is there anyone using a tablet with the Mavic Controller, that will fit in the phone holder, That cost under $200
I haven't found hardly anything posted. It seems to me that a larger screen would be much better to see what is going on.
If you or someone you know is using a tablet, Please post what tablet is being used.
2016-11-7
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

fansa5e1fb66 Posted at 2016-11-7 12:12
Is there anyone using a tablet with the Mavic Controller, that will fit in the phone holder, That co ...

Admit it, you didn't look very hard.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-67849-1-2.html
2016-11-7
Use props
fansa5e1fb66
lvl.2

United States

Have been looking NOT FOR MOUNTS but, a Tablet that will fete in the folding arms like the iPad mini.  
I cant afford the iPad Mini.
Asking if anyone is using a Tablet that cost less then $200.
Thy are out there. Trying to locate a tablet that is being used with the Mavic Controller and do's not have issues..
Here are some that I have looked at. Don't know if any of them will work with the Mavric.

ASUS Z380M-A2-GR Zenpad 8", ASUS ZenPad S 8 Z580C-B1, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0",
Lenovo 8" Tab3 8 16GB Tablet,
Dell Venue 8 7000 Android Tablet.

2016-11-7
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

fansa5e1fb66 Posted at 2016-11-7 13:27
Have been looking NOT FOR MOUNTS but, a Tablet that will fete in the folding arms like the iPad mini ...

Ah sorry, missed the point about wanting a cheap alternative.

There was a recent post about a fellow checking out an RCA Voyager tablet (7").  There were some questions about whether it had enough memory/power or not, but it was definitely cheap.  I wondered if the thickness of the tablet was too much for the RC Controller's grip size.

http://rcaav.com/tablets/android/voyager-pro/
2016-11-7
Use props
fansa5e1fb66
lvl.2

United States

Thanks for the info but The RCA Voyager Tablet 7" wont fete in the folding arms on the Mavic controller.
it only has 1GB of RAM.  One of The Tablets that I posted  for exampl,  
ASUS ZenPad S 8 Z580C-B1 will fete and have 2GB of RAM, Quad-Core, 64bit, 1.3GHz
8" IPS Display (2048 x 1536), microSD Card slot support up to 128GB
Android 6.0 Marshmallow. Will Fete the Controler.
$160
2016-11-7
Use props
fansa5e1fb66
lvl.2

United States

I just ordered the  ASUS Z380M-A2-GR Zenpad 8"
Touch Screen 8" IPS WXGA (1280x800) 189 PPI
MTK 8163 Quad-Core 1.3GHz, 2GB DDR3L
16GB EMMC, Android 6.0 (Marshmallow), 802.11abgn, 2MP Front & 5MP Rear, Bluetooth 4.0
8.2 x 4.8 x 0.3 inches should fete the  folding arms on Mavic controler.
$130
Hop it will work with the Mavic Pro
2016-11-7
Use props
mpwobbly
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37500 ft
Australia

Just an update. I have purchased and used the Mavic Pro using my Sony Xperia Z5 and all seems to be working without any problems. I am now looking for a shade for the phone as it is impossible to read the screen outside in full sunlight. In relation to sunshades on the market - the phone size seems to be not small enough for a 111mm and not large enough for a 128mm. Now have to find a solution for that issue but all else seems to be working really well. Thanks for your help along the way Thor.
2017-9-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules