Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Finally stretched her legs today
511 8 2016-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lablover
lvl.3
Flight distance : 166791 ft
United States

Had my P3P several months and been limiting my flights to about 500-600 ft.  I could not bring myself to go farther.  Today I went to a park and got to 2500 Ft.  Not real far like some here do but I will say when i looked down at the screen and did a few things then looked up I could not find it in the sky anymore.  Kind of got my nerves up a bit.  If it wasnt for that little map in the corner I may not have been able to get it back because I could not see it in the sky!

Got brave and did it several other times to calm my nerves.  I just have to be comfortable with sitting in the driver seat and not be a bystander.....LOL

Any other tips for finding your bird in the sky when yu look back up after looking at the monitor?

I will say I didnt get a single error or anything...FLAWLESS!  Again, I know 2500 feet any crazy far but it made me feel good.

Now, to find a darker ND filter.  ND 8 is not dark enough for really bright days!
2016-10-6
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Lab,

Sounds like you're doing things the smart way. Take your time just as you are, no hurry. You'll get more comfortable the more you fly. For me the sat view and the radar pointer are the keys to relocating your bird. If you really can't get her back in view, stop everything for a few seconds, take a breath, check the map and radar. Look at your altitude and if necessary get the bird high enough to clear all obstacles. Then just use your radar and map to start bringing her back in. The biggest thing is to stay cool, don't panic.

If all else fails you always have the RTH button but I've never used it except to make sure it actually works. You can also use Home Lock and just pull the right stick back and it'll come straight back towards home. Again, just make certain you're altitude is high enough to clear any obstacles. Congrats on your successful flights!

Jerry
2016-10-6
Use props
lablover
lvl.3
Flight distance : 166791 ft

AWESOME TIPS

I wish someone would put a vide together on some of the tips.  I never thought about using the radar pointer!  I did use RTH myself to see if it works...and it does    I wanted to shut down the RC and see if she would come home but wasn't feeling that brave to cut the only connection to the bird!  I'll get there.  I do depend on the map and the little pointer on the map to let me know which way is back.  My fear is one day I won't have that.

Now, I'm looking into FPV goggles....Oh boy
Also:

My home made screen shade was horible...I think I will carry an umbrella to put up over my head.  I really struggled to see the screen
2016-10-6
Use props
Jake X380 & P3S
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

I don't use the map when I fly. I go by my screen view from the camera. I know the land marks and therefore I know my way back. When I'm in an unfamiliar area I look at the different landmarks on my way out to find my way back. Most of the time I can fly high enough to see where I am and where to go to get back.
2016-10-6
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It's great to hear you're really enjoying your aircraft.
2016-10-6
Use props
billwish76
Second Officer

awesome.  most places i hVe no phone sig so no map. cant fly anywhere near home. i mainly us rth till i get sight back. even with booster ant i get 2000ft with the standard. i really havent let her rth and land most the time it goes rth due to range. now iv never lost video always strong sig just the rc
2016-10-6
Use props
billwish76
Second Officer

*2000 ft not 20k
2016-10-6
Use props
SpIrCRxKrdw0
Second Officer
Flight distance : 612825 ft
Croatia

Max I did is 9000 feet and I only had it for a few days