Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Some DJI Newbie questions
2283 15 2016-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
roiegat
lvl.2

United States

So I'm pretty much a dronaholic in a sense.  I own quite a bit of smaller drones to mid-sized drones.  Up to now my most expensive has been the AR Parrot 2 which I got for 300 but have rebuilt most of it since crashes happen.  So I'm used to drones where I have to do all the flying, and drones that have some automation with them.  What I wanted to do was wait until DJI drones were down in prices...and then the Mavic came out.  I just put my order in this week.  But I do have a couple questions.

First, I did read the quick start already out there.  I also read a user manual I found, but it didn't seem complete.  So I have a couple questions being new to DJI drones.

1)  I'm assuming that all DJI drones need to be registered with the FAA, is that correct?
2)  Is there a way to limit the vertical speeds and horizontal speeds so I can learn first and then unlock the speeds later?
3)  Can the simulator be used without actually being connected to the drone?  Figure it would be a good way to learn the modes that way.  
4)  Does the gimble have the ability to move up and down by itself when tracking a target?  Wasn't sure if one of my jobs was to make sure the gimble is always at the right angle.
5)  Is there a way to record to the mobile device instead of the microSD?  Is there a way to transfer the video to the mobile device after flight directly?
6)  Is it possible to fly outdoor, then indoors, and outdoor again?  I think it would be cool to fly from outside my house, in the front door, all the way to the back, and out the balcony.  Seems like the Mavic is ok width wise, but not sure if it could handle the outdoor indoor transition.
7)  Is it possible to have one person flying and someone else directing the camera using and iPad?  That's one feature from the GoPro Karma that caught my attention, but choose the Mavic instead.
8)  Is insurance required to fly a DJI drone?  I used to fly RC planes, and had an AMA membership which covered that.  I would need to renew my membership if thats the case.
9)  Is there courses either online or regionally that teach how to take better video/photos using the DJI drones?
10) Is it possible to take a picture while the drone is recording video?
11)  Most importantly, any tips for letting my wife know I spent 1000 bucks on a drone without her killing me?

2016-10-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Congratulations of your ordering the Mavic, I can promise you that you will be truly impressed when it arrives.
1) Yes, you are supposed to register any aircraft with DJI aircraft with the FAA. https://registermyuas.faa.gov/
2) After you activate the Mavic, it will be in beginner mode and will have altitude/distance limitations.
3) The simulator needs to have the aircraft powered on, it needs to use the flight controller to operate.
4) The gimbal is a 3 axis gimbal and and you have tilt control. When using Active Track it will automatically keep the target in the frame.
5) Yes, it automatically records a low resolution video to your device. And yes, you can transfer the full resolution video from the to your device.
6) Yes, it will use GPS and VPS outdoors and when you fly through the door to inside of the house the VPS will take over to hold position.
7) Not really, whatever direction the aircraft is going the camera will be pointed in that same direction.
8) No, there is no insurance required. But having AMA would be a benefit.
9) Tons, there are hundreds of YouTube videos addressing camera operations.
10) No, while recording you cannot snap a photo, BUT in post you can capture a frame from the video.
11) YES, this thing is so small that you can hide it under your pillow and she'll never know.
BUT, you are going to blow it the day it arrives because you will not be able to contain your excitement and she'll know somethings up But when she sees how little and cute it is, she'll be all good with it

2016-10-6
Use props
roiegat
lvl.2

United States

Thanks for the answers DJI-Ken!  Can't wait until she arrives.  

Quick follow up about the 3 axis gimbal.  Can the remote operate it in the left and right motion, or just in the up and down?  

Also, in the tracking modes - can you set the height it tracks at?  I figure I'd like to shoot my kids doing sports and having fly at a lower height would be better.  Also pets running around like crazy would work better at lower altitude as well.
2016-10-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

roiegat Posted at 2016-10-7 18:20
Thanks for the answers DJI-Ken!  Can't wait until she arrives.  

Quick follow up about the 3 axis g ...

The gimbal does not travel left or right (it only does a little for it's stabilization) the wheel on the RC will only tilt the camera up/down.
Also, you have to reply to one of my posts in order for me to see your post.
2016-10-7
Use props
Spiderpig
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-7 17:42
The gimbal does not travel left or right (it only does a little for it's stabilization) the wheel  ...

Thanks for the answers.

Couple more questions:

1)  If flying and joysticks are released, I'm assuming it will auto hover is that correct?
2)  Does the camera have any optical or digital zoom?
3)  Can the GPS software detect when it's over water and not allow landing on water?
4)  Can the drone be operated from snow in takeoff and landings?  Thinking ski footage here.
5)  Does the drone need a level takeoff position?  My backyard isn't exactly level so wanted to know if I need to set up a level takeoff point.
6)  When the drone is tracking someone, how fast can it fly? I know sport mode is 35 mph...but whats the limit for the tracking?

Thanks again!
2016-10-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Spiderpig Posted at 2016-10-8 08:18
Thanks for the answers.

Couple more questions:

1) yes
2) 2x digital
3) no
4) yes, but I'm sure not recommended with the moisture
5) should be level but if it's a little of no biggie, you may have to use the gimbal roll to level the horizon
6) Sport Mode is just over 40MPH by the way, and it will only track in P Mode which is about 22MPH
Your welcome
2016-10-7
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-8 09:30
1) yes
2) 2x digital
3) no

Can I add a couple more..

1) Can you pre program a flight path on a map and have the drone fly it?
2) If Yes to 1 - can it continue along the path throughout signal loss?
3) Is the Drone only aware of a single (its last) Home Point?

Reason I ask is I live on a farm/ranch that is roughly 4mile x 2mile. It would be cool to have it automatically fly a routine surveillance patrol to check the stock. Also with multiple home points, one set at opposite end of property could enable it to set down there on low battery instead of having a long RTH.
2016-10-7
Use props
Jack57
lvl.3

Canada

I have a couple...

1. Can we shut off the flashing green/red strobe lights that are on the Mavic?
2. Does ground station work with the Mavic?
3. Will the Mavic be on sale this Christmas?
2016-10-7
Use props
Spontman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 81873 ft

These are all awesome questions, Ive had the phantom 1 (still got it) but this will be my first drone with the integrated gimbal etc, so my question is how do we move the gimbal with the mavic? Though the app?
2016-10-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Spontman Posted at 2016-10-8 12:36
These are all awesome questions, Ive had the phantom 1 (still got it) but this will be my first dron ...

Either though the app or the tilt wheel on the RC. And you can adjust the speed of the tilt as well.
And you can also make the camera go up 30° from level too.
2016-10-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Jack57 Posted at 2016-10-8 11:15
I have a couple...

1. Can we shut off the flashing green/red strobe lights that are on the Mavic?

1) The front LED's are red and yes you can disable them if you want. The rear LED on the body of the aircraft you cannot.
2) Not as of now, there is a new PC ground station in Beta testing for some of the current aircraft. Maybe it will make it's way to the Mavic.
3) I wish I had a crystal ball, no one knows that.
2016-10-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Logger Posted at 2016-10-8 10:57
Can I add a couple more..

1) Can you pre program a flight path on a map and have the drone fly it ...

1) Not with the GO app, you have to fly to your waypoints and set each one as you fly. Then they are saved as a mission. 3rd party apps will allow you to set waypoints before flying
2) during a waypoint mission, if there's a signal loss it will still complete it's mission.
3) Yes, it's it's home point is where you took off from and that's where it will return to in RTH mode. BUT, you can keep updating your home point during the course of your flight if you want to. You can keep reseting it to the aircraft, or if you have a GPS enabled device you can reset it to your position (you,RC,phone)
2016-10-7
Use props
samuel.cohen3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 521627 ft
Germany

To point 6) of OP,
flying indoors is generally fine as is the transition from indoors outdoors.
What is more the problem is flying in a hallway where the wind generated by the mavic gets deflected by the walls.
Watch some youtube videos of people flying indoors before you try it

Cheers and good luck!

Samuel
2016-10-8
Use props
Spiderpig
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-8 02:07
1) The front LED's are red and yes you can disable them if you want. The rear LED on the body of t ...

What are ground stations?
2016-10-8
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Spiderpig Posted at 2016-10-8 11:59

Ground station mode is a term to describe a feature where you can pick points on a map (Google Maps) and pre select waypoints for your drone to fly.  It's like pre-programming a route that the drone will fly.

Although DJI has not confirmed if the Mavic has this feature at launch... It's likely that DJI and other 3rd party vendors will offer this capability at some point.
2016-10-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Spiderpig Posted at 2016-10-9 02:59

A program on your PC computer that you can program the aircraft to fly and take photos/video.
Litchi is 3rd party software that you can do it right from your Android/IOS device and not use the DJI GO app.
It's available on the Phantom 3 and Phantom 4, will also be available on the Mavic but don't know when.
2016-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules