What's needed for a Zenmuse X3/X5-based non-aerial remote camera?
2624 8 2016-10-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tecnocato
lvl.1
Puerto Rico

Hello,

I would like to build a non-aerial remote camera, preferably based on something like the OSMO+ camera. The challenge is to make the gimbal work without the handle with a "compatible" DJI GCU. "Compatible" is in quotes for obvious reasons as I haven't found a company sanctioned solution for this.

The applications are numerous. For example, imagine a camera installed inside the cokpit of a motor vehcicle that you can control from a nearby stationary post or moving vehicle.

The partial solution I have is to mount the X3/X5 camera to a custom base using the base spare part (from the Inspire 1), connect it to a Zenmuse Z15-BMPCC GCU and connect the GCU to a Lightbridge for control and video transmission. It is partial because 1) the cabling may need modification as I suspect the base has one additional connection at each cable - G6 and G9 in the GCU; 2) I do not know if the GCU can operate or be programmed to operate the OSMO gimbal.

Any suggestions on how to achive this or someting similar with DJI Products?

Thanks

P.S. Sorry for the re-post here. I posted it in the OSMO section but really do not know where it applies better. My excuses if you are reading this for the second time.

2016-10-7
Use props
ricci2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 61158 ft
  • >>>
France

Hi,
I think the solution is simple really, use a mount for the x5 from a M600, a lightbridge2 and A3 link it a ground controller and you have a remote with full 1080p and gimbal control.

if I read your post correctly.

r
2016-10-7
Use props
Tecnocato
lvl.1
Puerto Rico

ricci2 Posted at 2016-10-7 12:33
Hi,
I think the solution is simple really, use a mount for the x5 from a M600, a lightbridge2 and A3 ...

Thanks a lot for your reply. You've got the idea. May I ask you a couple of follow up questions?

Will it work with the first generation Lightbridge? The controller needs ti be inside a moving vehicle and I can install external antennas to the first gen.

Will it work with an upright mounted camera?
Edit: One more question... why is the A3 needed? The lightbridge 1 has the bus. Can that be used without a flight controller since I am not flying?

Thanks again.
2016-10-7
Use props
ricci2
Second Officer
  • >>>
France

Hi,
To answer your questions: yes to LB1 though the LB2 is much improved all-around.  yes to external antenna but keep them omni directional because directional antennas will limit the angle of use. The osmo uses the x5 gimbal upside down so yes to that too. as to if you need a controller, well the LB is just a complex 5.8ghz video transmitter optimised for 1080p over a 5km distance and has an interface for a controller, because you need to have comms with the gimbal so I guess you might be able to use the NAZE board and a non DJI TX/RX but the DJI works out of the box with the A3 and it also has the power control built in for many voltages too, the LB has can bus interface but I don't know if it can be controlled by non dji, go to the dji site and download the pdf manual, that should help you understand more. This link will tell you most things you want to know. http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/l ... Manual_v1.04_en.pdf

It is expensive but it will work with no fuss with just plugging in a battery. There are other 4k cameras and gimbals that will just need a tx and a rx device but going back to DJI the app works and it will give you live feed too in app and the x5 will take other lenses that the app will zoom and focus. if its just an experiment do it inexpensively but if you need it to be commercial 1080p spend more money for piece of mind, it works most of the time.
hope that helped.

r
2016-10-7
Use props
Tecnocato
lvl.1
Puerto Rico

ricci2 Posted at 2016-10-7 17:26
Hi,
To answer your questions: yes to LB1 though the LB2 is much improved all-around.  yes to extern ...

Thanks a lot for all the information. You've been very helpful. I'll keep digging through the documentation. I suspect that the LB1 remote unit can be connect to a servo controller to have access to pan and tilt on a generic gimbal and maybe an available channel for zoom.

I did not know you can also control zoom with an appropriate sense mounted on the X5. All ad-shown lenses are fix focal length.

¡Gracias!
2016-10-9
Use props
Tecnocato
lvl.1
Puerto Rico

ricci2 Posted at 2016-10-7 17:26
Hi,
To answer your questions: yes to LB1 though the LB2 is much improved all-around.  yes to extern ...

...based on size constrains (considering the zoom option) and my particular application, the new X3 ZOOM seems like the perfect fit.
2016-10-9
Use props
ricci2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hello Tecnocato.
Sounds a good bit of kit, I use an X5 with olympus zoom, works well but is larger than X3 zoom...could you buy a old phantom and use the control gear?

R
2016-10-9
Use props
Tecnocato
lvl.1
Puerto Rico

ricci2 Posted at 2016-10-9 20:00
Hello Tecnocato.
Sounds a good bit of kit, I use an X5 with olympus zoom, works well but is larger t ...

That is an option provided the controller works without the rest.
2016-10-16
Use props
SamStewart1
New
Flight distance : 33031 ft
United Kingdom

I would love to know more about this system. Did you manage to get this system working? I am looking at making the same remote camera system for a wildlife project.

2018-5-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules