Phantom 4 Resurrected From the Dead
668 5 2016-10-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wingsy
lvl.2

United States

After seeing what a new gimbal was going to cost I figured I'd have a go at fixing my drone. One of the arms were seriously bent (due to a recent crash) and I'd have to almost completely disassemble the thing to get to it. Being an electronics engineer I've had my hands on this stuff before, but THIS stuff was really really small and delicate. Top notch. So here goes...
Repair1.jpg Repair2.jpg Repair3.jpg Repaired.jpg
I had the bracket almost straight (9 & 10) and went at it one more time to get the last couple of degrees out of it, when the magnesium alloy broke, right under the cover you can see in the last pic. Turns out that when that cover is screwed in, it holds the broken parts in place quite firmly. It's certainly not as strong as it was but at least everything now works and the gimbal calibrates. I can't fly now due to Matthew but the gimbal holds a stable picture when I move it around with my hands. Test flight tomorrow I think. (Pic #12 - wife peeked in, took a snapshot and added that caption. She's seen this before.)

Some serious engineering went ito this thing. My compliments to the design engineers.
2016-10-8
Use props
Heebus
lvl.4

Canada

nice job... show what a little determination and kno how can do... not all of us have to send to dji, wait a few weeks and spend big bucks to get repairs, and thanx to the pics u may have helped others, thanx again!
2016-10-8
Use props
MGR57
lvl.2

United States

Good story....hope I never have to do that!
2016-10-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Good job hope test goes well.
2016-10-9
Use props
Wingsy
lvl.2

United States

Test flight yesterday. Everything works as it did before. Horizon is level, which is somewhat of a surprise. My next crash will surely finish off the gimbal.
2016-10-10
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wingsy Posted at 2016-10-10 15:50
Test flight yesterday. Everything works as it did before. Horizon is level, which is somewhat of a s ...

Then simply don't crash :-)
2016-10-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules