4846 4 2016-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jinnn_1989
lvl.2
Flight distance : 207339 ft
India

Hello,

I am new to drone and have order my DJI Mavic Pro. and it will arrive soon. I have bad experience last week as I got a friends DJI phantom 3 and lost it.

We all were at bike ride when we found a dead end at the road where lead us to find a ferry boat to move to other coast. We loaded all the bikes and a car into the ferry and ferry started moving towards other coast. It was a huge lake and took around 20 mins to reach other coast.

As I have phantom 3 and we want to shoot the ferry ride, I start it on the boat. As the last home location was somewhere in middle of water I was not able to use return to home. The problem arised when huge winds started blowing and we were not able to control the phantom 4.

So what i was thinking is how do we can home location to currect place where my remote is. Has DJI made any features likes this? or any thing else which could help me to avoid such suitation. I know MAVIC has tap to fly or follow me feature but in some cases i am not able to use it and want my drone to return to me due to high winds and land it.

Kindly help me. Thank you
2016-10-9
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

It is very risky to launch from a boat, even when you control it.  IMO, it is extremely risky to launch from a boat you can not control, like a ferry.

Even though there is a mode to change the Home point in mid flight, I personally do  not trust it that it will work every time. A boat has a lot of metal, a lot of electronics and RF signal interference, so your compass location may not be sent correctly.

So to answer your question if you are a daredevil,
Yes you may change the Home Point in mid flight to your current location, or the P4 location.
2016-10-9
Use props
jinnn_1989
lvl.2
India

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-10-9 18:28
It is very risky to launch from a boat, even when you control it.  IMO, it is extremely risky to lau ...

Can you tell me how do i change it.
2016-10-9
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

jinnn_1989 Posted at 2016-10-9 09:18
Can you tell me how do i change it.

Just click on Main Controller Settings (Phantom icon) then right at the top you have the option Home Point Settings.

Make sure you click on the icon with the peson; not the triangle (phantom)
But if your device does not have a good gps receiver or it is affected by the environment, then it may send the wrong coordinates to the Phantom, and it may fly away. That is the risk you take. If you still decide to do this, I would calibrate the compass before you are on the boat, and do not re-calibrate it, once on the boat.
2016-10-9
Use props
jinnn_1989
lvl.2
India

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-10-10 03:02
Just click on Main Controller Settings (Phantom icon) then right at the top you have the option Hom ...

thank you so much. would try it when my mavic pro arrives
2016-10-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules