Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Video lost - Return to home?
710 6 2016-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
calls4u2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 211604 ft
United Kingdom

Having not flown for a couple of weeks I decided that I should at least have a short flight from my home
Once in the air I always hover a short while, then up, hover again, and then fly... This time however, I flew around 20M high, and around 15M away from me when I got 'Video lost, Return to home?'. I tried higher, lower, closer, the video didn't come back - the last the camera saw was on screen but in black and white.

When I landed I noticed the camera was pointing straight down - perhaps I caught the C1 button, I can't say for sure.

I landed and shutdown/restarted the P4. Video came back Tried again, but with much artifacts, and frequently black&white (grey) video image. Jumpy, stuttery... and then 'no video/return to home?'. I came back, I restarted the DJI Go app, the camera came back and I flew a short artifacti flight!

I've flown from my home before and not had any issues, yes there are wifi on both 2.4 and 5.8ghz in the area (most of them mine in fact), but there always has been. A wifi scan shows no 'new' routers in the area, nor anything else on 2.4ghz

To clarify however, is the video image on 2.4 or 5.8? I ask as I know radar can sometimes use 5.8 and that's a possible - If not that, then it seems the phantom has a very weak video signal here today, yet was fine only 2 or 3 weeks ago.

I had no loss of control or anything, simply the video, I'd not seen that before, and definitely didn't expect to see it so close! Drone did seem to take longer to startup, I thought I'd not hit the battery button a second time since the gimbal dance took so long! - Temps are much cooler here than 3 weeks ago however.

I know when the video went off the strength was still full for control and vid, but (and I can't be sure) at one point it looked like they were down to zero on both. My eyes were on the drone and bringing it in to land at this point rather than the screen.

Yes I adjusted the antennas correctly on the RC, and moved it around some just to be sure they were radiating towards the bird.

When I get a chance to fly properly I'll head off away from everything and test further, but if anyone has any ideas in the meantime as to what might have been the cause today, put them in the box below. Hopefully this is just a one off. Put my mind at rest please people

Thanks guys
2016-10-9
Use props
michael_judd
lvl.1

United States

You should not get a rth because of video loss, only if the controller has lost connection.
2016-10-9
Use props
Pwfirst
lvl.4
United States

A similar event happened to me  I was flying over the river behind my house and the display went black. Many many tall trees were between me and my drown . Went up flew around at a safe altitude but could not get it into view. Hit the home visit and just as advertised came screaming over the trees and landed where it took off. Restarted it up and it went out again. While it was hovering at 3 feet. I shut of f the receiver and turned it back one,  The picture returned.   I reloaded the go app and it has not happened since.   Later the camera would not load on start up, reloaded  the go again  and for the last 5 flight all is good. Still love this droin.
2016-10-9
Use props
Pwfirst
lvl.4
United States

A similar event happened to me  I was flying over the river behind my house and the display went black. Many many tall trees were between me and my drown . Went up flew around at a safe altitude but could not get it into view. Hit the home visit and just as advertised came screaming over the trees and landed where it took off. Restarted it up and it went out again. While it was hovering at 3 feet. I shut of f the receiver and turned it back one,  The picture returned.   I reloaded the go app and it has not happened since.   Later the camera would not load on start up, reloaded  the go again  and for the last 5 flight all is good. Still love this droin.
2016-10-9
Use props
Pwfirst
lvl.4
United States

2016-10-9
Use props
Pwfirst
lvl.4
United States

2016-10-9
Use props
Pwfirst
lvl.4
United States

A similar thing happened to me. I have an apple mini2.  I was flying over the river in my back yard, many many toll trees between me and my droin. Climbed and flew around awhile . Finially hit the home button and in a few moments it came screaming over the trees and landed.  I restarted it and overestimate  and the screen went out again. While hovering I turned it off and restarted it and the Video returned .  I reloaded Go and it has never happened again.  I trust the home button more. Good luck with yours
2016-10-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules