X5 Gains (Yaw Draft like Crazy)
2008 10 2016-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SimplePanda
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>

Anyone have a good working set of gains / EXP / gimbal settings they've found work well for the Inspire 1 Pro?

The Inspire 1 / X3 is pretty much rock solid in the air but the X5 has a severe tendency to yaw drift and it requires A LOT more effort in the air to keep tracking shots from yawing around badly.
2016-10-9
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I would do an IMU calibration with the X5 and gimbal calibration immediatly after.  Also up your gains on the yaw about ( start ) 10 % .  I have my expo at 25 on rudder and 30 on pitch and roll. 40 on throttle.  Both my x3 and x5 are set like this .

I notice with my X5 it just seems heavier and slow to react but it is not Yawing on me .   Also just to be clear when you say yaw , you mean it is turning on a flat axis either left or right correct, you dont mean Roll do you?  

donnie
2016-10-9
Use props
SimplePanda
Second Officer
  • >>>

Nope, yaw - gimbal pitch/roll are totally stable but the copter itself is very difficult to fly in a straight line with the X5 on it; it yaws in the air (twists around the Z axis to be clear) so you can left/right panning of the image. The gimbal cancels it out as best as it can until it over-yaws to the point where the X5 has to re-center to keep up with it.

I'll try doing a full IMU calibration (though everything looks good in the sensor display) and recalibrate the gimbal on the copter.

Thanks for the gain setting tips.
d
2016-10-9
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

SimplePanda Posted at 2016-10-9 15:22
Nope, yaw - gimbal pitch/roll are totally stable but the copter itself is very difficult to fly in a ...

Also do a Compass calibration if it is NOT flying in a straight line .

donnie
2016-10-9
Use props
SimplePanda
Second Officer
  • >>>

Donnie Posted at 2016-10-10 05:02
Also do a Compass calibration if it is NOT flying in a straight line .

donnie

Done a few compass calibrations. Doesn't seem to fix the issue.
2016-10-9
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

It's probably a hardware issue.
I'd suggest you to get in touch with our tech support at support.@dji.com.
They will guide you to send it in for fixing.
2016-10-10
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-10-10 03:11
I'd suggest you to get in touch with our tech support at .
They will ...

How can it be a Hardware issue if it flies Straight with the X3 camera ? It only Yaws with the X5 installed  .

Just trying to understand the reasoning

donnie
2016-10-10
Use props
SimplePanda
Second Officer
  • >>>

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-10-10 16:11
I'd suggest you to get in touch with our tech support at .
They will ...

Flies perfectly with the X3 on it, and it flies fine with the X5 on it except for the yaw drift that can be countered if you're paying close attention.

Isn't a hardware issue.

And really, it'd have to be basically snapped in half or on fire before I sent it to DJI for service. My Inspire 1 out of the air for 5 weeks or so waiting on DJI service only to get it back with a diagnostic charge and nothing repaired? That's never gonna happen.

Google: "Inspire 1 X5 yaw drift"

If this is a hardware problem DJI is bringing in a lot of Inspire 1's for repair...
2016-10-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

SimplePanda Posted at 2016-10-11 08:26
Flies perfectly with the X3 on it, and it flies fine with the X5 on it except for the yaw drift tha ...

If it's not drifting when on the ground and it's only in the air, it can be due to a combination of the cameral weight and wind resistance during that particular flight. Do you happen to use the stock 15mm lens or a 3rd party one? Do you see any changes when trying out Donnie's gain settings?
2016-10-11
Use props
SimplePanda
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

This isn't gimbal yaw drift - it's copter yaw drift - so it doesn't drift on the ground on account of the copter being on the ground and not in motion...

Upping the yaw gain by 15% seems to have helped it enough that it's not annoying anymore. Thanks Donnie!

I use the stock 15mm. Will put an Zuiko 25mm on it and see if that helps or makes it worse.
2016-10-19
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

SimplePanda Posted at 2016-10-19 13:39
This isn't gimbal yaw drift - it's copter yaw drift - so it doesn't drift on the ground on account o ...

Happy to help ya'll out Panda.

donnie

2016-10-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules