UK no drone fly zones
3544 22 2016-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Richis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24925 ft
United Kingdom

Hey! Does anyone know where should i look for official (real) no drone fly zones map of UK (London)? I find lots of maps online, apps, etc. But all of them are different and all say that you should check for official map as this is just theit own one and the real zones might be different. Dji map only shows airports. So not sure how to know where I can't fly and how not to get in trouble.

Thanks
2016-10-9
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

There is only one place.
That is sectional air charts /overlay plates  - everything else like DJI NFZ and B4UFly apps etc are meaningless.

Getting yourself a subscription to SkyDemon and load up the UK Plates. You will then have an accurate and legal mapping of the UK NAS.
2016-10-9
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Please click this link :http://www.dji.com/flysafe/no-fly
It is about no fly zone ,and you can choose the address which you want to fly.
2016-10-10
Use props
Richis
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-10-10 09:22
Please click this link :http://www.dji.com/flysafe/no-fly
It is about no fly zone ,and you can choo ...

Is that 100% right? Can i trist it? As far as i know Isle of Dogs is no fly zone and it's good on this map. Same as central London.
2016-10-10
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

Here's a few sites of interest.  The first is for pilot use and the second and third speak for themselves.

http://notaminfo.com/ukmap

http://www.noflydrones.co.uk/

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/ ... ones/The-Dronecode/

Hope it helps.
2016-10-10
Use props
Richis
lvl.1
United Kingdom

talk2t_c Posted at 2016-10-10 10:02
Here's a few sites of interest.  The first is for pilot use and the second and third speak for thems ...

It is. Thanks
2016-10-10
Use props
Richis
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Tharg (from the Posted at 2016-10-10 08:37
There is only one place.
That is sectional air charts /overlay plates  - everything else like DJI NF ...

It looks like something real. Thank you
2016-10-10
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Richis Posted at 2016-10-10 16:43
Is that 100% right? Can i trist it? As far as i know Isle of Dogs is no fly zone and it's good on  ...

This is the link that in our official website .
2016-10-10
Use props
Richis
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-10-10 10:23
This is the link that in our official website .

Yes but it's only Dji No drone fly zones. Not governments
2016-10-10
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Unless you have a PfCO and paid your CAA bribe the whole of London is a no go area. Congested area rules of Air Navigation Order 2016.

In answer to your question - No, there is no single 'official' map. If you are in or around London notams are probably quite important because they change regularly.
2016-10-11
Use props
F6B-Rider
lvl.2

In this case I am glad I live in the western US, we have thousands of square miles of open space to fly in. I live in a small city next to the capitol and we have a very large park (5 sq miles) walking distance away that we can fly in, just not when there is organized sports going on. We have huge areas of open public land to fly in. I lived in Europe for 10 years and was amazed that almost all of the land was owned by someone or another. No flying in Federal or State parks I am sorry to say, as they have some of the best scenery.
2016-10-11
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-10-11 13:59
Unless you have a PfCO and paid your CAA bribe the whole of London is a no go area. Congested area r ...

Yes there is - UK sectional air charts!
How much more official do you want?
2016-10-12
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Tharg (from the Posted at 2016-10-12 19:55

It's official but not complete, the question was about a map of drone no fly zones, this would include air charts, notams, local bylaws and active police restrictions. There is no official map that will display all this for you.
2016-10-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-10-13 04:25
It's official but not complete, the question was about a map of drone no fly zones, this would inc ...

No there is not, would be cool if there was one that showed ALL.
2016-10-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Tharg (from the Posted at 2016-10-12 19:55

Foot in mouth again comes to mind..
2016-10-12
Use props
CUAVA
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi,

Reference to the current VFR aviation charts will show you the restricted areas within London, if you'd like slightly more detail then the London Helicopter chart is also a valuable tool.

Some local authorities within London (Westminster as an example) have a blanket ban in place for the commercial use of drones. It's not impossible to get permission but it does take some time and planning. Always check with the local authority to ensure you're not breaching one of their local byelaws.

Remember, even flying just for fun, you're still bound by the Air Navigation Order 2016.

Hope this helps,

The Cambridge UAV Academy Team.
2016-10-13
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-12 23:53
Foot in mouth again comes to mind..

Richard Cranium comes to mind
2016-10-13
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

CUAVA Posted at 2016-10-13 09:33
Hi,

Reference to the current VFR aviation charts will show you the restricted areas within London,  ...

Are you from one of the official training places?

If so can you please explain what 'substantially used' means in terms of the CAA definition of 'congested'. I'd be happy to open a new topic, there are plenty of people here who want to know the answer
2016-10-13
Use props
CUAVA
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-10-13 11:44
Are you from one of the official training places?

If so can you please explain what 'substantial ...

Yes, we are a full NQE under the CAA.

A congested area is defined by the CAA in CAP722 as "any area of a city, town or settlement which is substantially used for residential, industrial, commercial or recreational purposes". I agree that this is open to interpretation as the word "substantially' is not defining in any way. Common sense needs to be applied, if the area is constantly occupied by people or traffic, either for recreation or commerce then you can reasonably assume that the area is congested. Your responsibility as a pilot is to be in control of the area that you are operating in, only then you should fly.

Hope this helps,

2016-10-14
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

CUAVA Posted at 2016-10-14 09:31
Yes, we are a full NQE under the CAA.

A congested area is defined by the CAA in CAP722 as "any ar ...

Thanks, still not very clear but I'll add it my list of definitions. One more quick question if I may, CAP722 3.7 -

The provision of images or other data solely for the use of controlling or
monitoring the aircraft is not considered to be applicable to the meaning of
'Surveillance or Data Acquisition' covered at ANO 2009 Article 167 for SUSA.

Does this mean I can launch from a congested area fly out to a non-congested area then start filming and taking photos.

This little paragraph in cap722 to me makes a lot of sense. In other words if you are taking video or photos you're probably not concentrating on safe flying so keep out of busy areas. If you're concentrating on just flying then you're ok.
2016-10-14
Use props
CUAVA
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-10-14 11:29
Thanks, still not very clear but I'll add it my list of definitions. One more quick question if I  ...

At all times, you must remember that the Air Navigation Order has been updated since the publication of CAP722. The ANO (2016) is law and CAP722 is a guide so the ANO takes precedence. That being said, this section from the older ANO2009 is fairly clear to me.

The provision of images or other data solely for the use of controlling or monitoring the aircraft is not considered to be applicable to the meaning of 'Surveillance or Data Acquisition' covered at ANO 2009 Article 167 for SUSA. (CAP722)

Our interpretation is that the images and data of a sensor or camera that is fitted and used to aid the control of an aircraft are not bound under the same restrictions as a camera or sensor that is used primarily for the collection of data.

What mustn't be forgotten though is that the flight of a UAV for commercial purposes by the use of First Person View (FPV) is not allowed as the aircraft must be in Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) at all times.

2016-10-14
Use props
N1QXV
lvl.2

United States

Be aware of the NFZ glitch running any version firmware. AC will take off and function then in mid flight NFZ warning initiates and attempts to land the AC immediately.
Control is eratic and difficult to handle. If you're not good at operating the Mavic it will crash!

When you send it in for repair DJI will stonewall you and never answer your questions. Then when you ask for DJI to cover this crash under warranty due to the NFZ algorithm glitch you will be told that you
were NOT in a NFZ therefor you just crashed your Mavic and it has nothing to do with any issue with DJI algorithm glitch and or anything else just pay for your repair. On top of it DO NOT post this type of issue
here in the forums or your account will be banned and locked along with all your documented posts removed.

Don't expect NFZ override authorization to work as it should be very careful and prepared to handle a very unstable Mavic and get it back to a soft spot to land without causing internal damage.
2017-11-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NATS drone assist - it's a UK government approved app and provides really in-depth, up-to-date info on where you can and can not fly - zoom in and it will even show minor details like the nearest cell tower, petrol station, school etc. I use it every time before I fly as also shows temporary no fly zones whereby there may be a military exercise and it tells you the times and dates you can not fly in that specific area. Central London is basically a red zone - keep the drone away... There are some large parks on the outskirts of Greater London which are presently safe to fly over though.  
2017-11-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules