1932 6 2016-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

Anyone any idea how tough the Mavic is?

Is it our bouncy, flexible plastic friend that can withstand the occasional mishap, with minor repairs performed by ourselves?

Or is it a fragile primma donna that will always require posting at great expense back to China, for the slightest of incidents?

I was hoping to see Casey drop it off the table, before actually losing the thing...

Are spare parts available?
Do we have any prices?
Are any parts sealed, breaking warranty if opened?

??
2016-10-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Like anything speed of crash and with height of crash will make all the difference, parts usually take a few months to come on board, but dji care refresh is the cheapest and best way to go $99 ,there is a collect and delivered with this drone will be replaced new or refurbished as new first new replacement will cost you $79 second $129 it's a no brainier, drones are fragile and parts won't be cheap but this should cover you for the first 12 months..
2016-10-10
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I guess we will not really know until someone gets one and crashes it for you.  (Not me!)

I will say it appears to have some potential advantages and disadvantages vs Phantom.

Potential Advantages:

1. The props on the Mavic fold.  This means in the event of a prop strike the prop blade can pivot and potentially suffer less damage than a rigid prop like the Phantoms use.  We will not know if this is true until we see people testing it.

2.  The arms fold.  In the event of a crash this may allow the arm to fold and deflect rather than crack or break off as the Phantom series do. We will not know if this is true until we see people testing it.

3. The Mavic has dual IMU's and potentially better collision avoidance.  This may reduce the number of crashes we see.  We will not know if this is true until we see people testing it.

Potential Disadvantages:

The Mavic does not have the tall landing gear like the Phantom's do.  This means landing on grass is going to be a problem for Mavic.

The camera gimbal seems more exposed on the front than Phantom where it's inside the landing gear frame.

Parts will be difficult to come by at first.  (That's always been the case for new Phantom launches too.)  But after a few months the parts will become more available.

In general...  To me... the Mavic looks like it may be less likely to suffer damage in a crash.  But only time will tell.  (Keeping my fingers crossed.)
2016-10-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Mavic hasn't even been released yet, wait a while. You've ordered one right ?

I can tell you that if you open any part of it to self repair it will void the warranty.Purchase the DJI Care Refresh and don't worry about it.
2016-10-10
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Malaysia

1. I haven't ordered one, as I'm still awaiting a fix for the S7 issue

2. DJI Care Refresh is not available in my location

But I'm trying to be positive..... ...
2016-10-10
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

bigglyguy Posted at 2016-10-10 10:46
1. I haven't ordered one, as I'm still awaiting a fix for the S7 issue

2. DJI Care Refresh is not a ...

You have some valid concerns.

The S7 thing is unfortunate...  And it's always a situation where DJI will say it's Samsung's fault and Samsung will say it's DJI's fault.  It's probably some sort of API call that DJI needs to use that changed in an Android update.  Happens occasionally with the Phantom series too.  This is why I am never too quick to update my iOS devices or the DJI firmware / app until I read this Forum and see how the new releases are working for other people before updating my stuff.  (I got burned a few times updating firmware in my P3 and had my Phantom grounded until a fix was released.)

Don't know what to say abut the DJI care thing... other than hopefully it will become available for you soon.

Each time DJI has released a new bird...  The parts were scarce.  Spare batteries were scarce.  And software bugs were plentiful.  I would not be surprised if we see a bunch of bugs with the first Mavic firmware as well.  (Heck CaseyN lost his Mavic in a mysterious flyaway...)    But none of this issue will prevent me from getting a Mavic.  I have patience and faith in DJI to iron out the bugs.
2016-10-10
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Malaysia

Yeah, some people hate spiders, some hate snakes, me, I hate and despise "updates".

The only actually useful update I can think of in the last 10 years of phones, computers and so on, is when Android FINALLY gave a search box so you could search your apps - which should have been a no-brainer by version 2.0

But updates that have spoiled, ruined or created problems? I could fill a book...
2016-10-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules