Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Turn engine off in air?
10488 15 2016-10-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Anoniem
First Officer
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

So, I'm new to DJI and did see an Quick start manual of the Mavic.
Starting the engine en stopping the engine is easy to do but also can be done in air(like 5 or 10 meters above ground level)?
Would like to know, does the DJI GO app. ask me to turn off the engine if I accidently pull the sticks both down at the same time?
This thing is full off high tech stuff, 2 IMU, sensors, camera on bottom.. so it would be logical that they have made it work like this??

2016-10-11
Use props
sostengo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 86010 ft
Cambodia

They have this command, I guess ist left stick down + RTH button at the same time.

This will shut the motors immediately. I guess this is useful in only a few situations to avoid bigger damage.
2016-10-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi you will have to wait for proper manual , to see what controls to use to switch of Mavic in the air, this is only used for emergency, it won't be both sticks down into corners as was on phantoms they change this when P4 was introduced, I know from reading some stuff that Mavic has a message request when flying low, which goes something like,would you like to land now,
If your new to drones I would recommend you read the Manual at least once,and continually refer to it often, I'm sure most accidents happen when drone is fairly new, but don't worry in no time you will be loving all of this.
2016-10-12
Use props
Fulgerite
First Officer

United States

If you accidentally pull both sticks down & inward your drone would be in an impossible corkscrew falling out of the sky anyways.  It would be like accidentally turning your steering wheel all the way to the left and applying the brake pedal as hard as you can in an automobile.  Yes... It's possible   Yes you would likely crash.  And no... It's not likely to happen in real life.

In actual flight you are making very small coordinated movements of the joysticks.  Not flailing them all the way to the extremes that are required for the shutdown maneuver.  And the contol manuver mentioned in the quick start has been similar to the P2, P3, P4 and Inspire drones... So there are millions of users already using that same stick manuver daily.  It's just not an issue.

On my P3 I always just hold the left stick fully down for three seconds and the motors stop after 3 seconds.  I suspect the Mavic will work the same way.
2016-10-12
Use props
Airwater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1517057 ft
United Kingdom

Fulgerite Posted at 2016-10-12 16:27
If you accidentally pull both sticks down & inward your drone would be in an impossible corkscrew fa ...

Seeing as it is limited to a composed 2-3m descent it would not instigate an inescapable crash scenario like Topgun.
2016-10-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-12 17:39
Hi you will have to wait for proper manual , to see what controls to use to switch of Mavic in the a ...

Actually for whomever is new to drones, I'd suggest reading the manual cover to cover a few times until you understand everything you've read.
2016-10-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

When the final manual comes out it will have directions of emergency shutdown and if it will be available.
2016-10-12
Use props
Fulgerite
First Officer

United States

Airwater Posted at 2016-10-12 08:34
Seeing as it is limited to a composed 2-3m descent it would not instigate an inescapable crash sce ...

With the yaw, pitch and elevator stick fully deflected you would not be in control.  Of course releasing the sticks will regain control.

Anyways...  There are literally Millions of DJI drones flying with those same controls for shutdown.  And it has not been a major issue.
If you do the shutdown manuver incorectly and fully deflect the right stick before the left stick it can result in your drone flipping over on the ground.  That's why I only use the left stick full down manuver and wait the tree seconds.  It's safer.
2016-10-12
Use props
sonofthesun
lvl.3
Ukraine

Does remote control have a feature of "lock buttons"? Ex. I want to put RC into a bag when going some technical terrain for a minute or two.
Turning off RC is not an option as drone will initiate RTH in this case, while I want it to be next to me.
2016-10-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Fulgerite Posted at 2016-10-12 16:38
With the yaw, pitch and elevator stick fully deflected you would not be in control.  Of course rele ...

I'm thinking it may have been an issue  or at least a perceived issue as shortly after P4 was released they changed emergency shutdown to left stick down and press RTH , not to sure if this was a firmwear upgrade for P3s.
2016-10-12
Use props
Fulgerite
First Officer

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-12 08:49
I'm thinking it may have been an issue  or at least a perceived issue as shortly after P4 was rele ...

It's been changed a bunch of times...
2016-10-12
Use props
Fulgerite
First Officer

United States

sonofthesun Posted at 2016-10-12 08:42
Does remote control have a feature of "lock buttons"? Ex. I want to put RC into a bag when going som ...

I don't think any of DJI's controllers ever featured a "control lock" function.  Not sure you will ever be able to stuff your controller into bag safely while the drone is in flight.
2016-10-12
Use props
HFI
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904990 ft
  • >>>
United States

sonofthesun Posted at 2016-10-12 23:42
Does remote control have a feature of "lock buttons"? Ex. I want to put RC into a bag when going som ...

You could use the Wifi feature and not the RX. I'm thinking of doing some active tracking following me and thinking of not using the RX because of the danger of accidental control input.

I've not tested it obviously but it's an idea.
2016-10-12
Use props
Fulgerite
First Officer

United States

HFI Posted at 2016-10-12 09:07
You could use the Wifi feature and not the RX. I'm thinking of doing some active tracking followin ...

All of my experience with WiFi drones has been pretty poor.  Wifi is flakey.  It disconnects mid flight.  It has short range.  (Like 20meters.)  It might be OK for a quick selfie up close...  But In a city or neighborhood with a lot of WiFi interference it's not very reliable.  (In my past experience.)
2016-10-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

HFI Posted at 2016-10-13 00:07
You could use the Wifi feature and not the RX. I'm thinking of doing some active tracking followin ...

WiFi mode is kinda cool and I don't think you would give any false stick movement as when you take your hands off the screen the stick indicators go away.
Pretty cool.
2016-10-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

sonofthesun Posted at 2016-10-12 23:42

If you turn off the RC the aircraft will go into RTH mode. But you can fly the aircraft in WiFi mode and use your phone for control.
2016-10-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules