Is is a good idea to buy DJI Mavic as a first drone?
11589 28 2016-10-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mamula.marko
New

Croatia

Hi guys, I have always been really interested in drones but they were too big for me to travel with. With the Mavic beeing so compact however it seems like the perfect drone for me. But I a bit concerned about never flying any other drone before. So here is my question, do you think I should buy a cheaper drone to get used to operating a drone first? I have read someone saying that it is not worth it as flying a DJI drone will be much easier because of all the stabilization in action. I would love to hear your opinion. Thanks
2016-10-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Mavic would be a great option for you, you travel so from that point of view it's perfect,  yes they are extremely easy to fly , but I would recommend you study the manual read all the blogs and watch all the tutorials, give yourself time to get to know how the drone works and purchase dji care refresh, that has great peace of mind especially for new pilots,good luck
2016-10-12
Use props
edbighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Also pick up any cheap toy store quadcopter if you can. Then get real good at flying that thing inside your living room. Once you never crash that, you will absolutely never crash a DJI product.
2016-10-12
Use props
Maverikster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 24672 ft
Netherlands

Agree with edbighi, just buy a toy quadcopter and play around with it and fly it indoors. Once you can master flying it upstairs and downstairs and around the cooking island without crashing, you are good to go... And have some fun whilst waiting for the Mavic to arrive.
I purchased the Syma X5C-1 just for that purpose. Great fun to fly around (and shoot some movies whilst at it)
2016-10-12
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I will say that learning to fly with an inexpensive toy drone to start is a good idea.  The DJI drones are much easier to fly and control. (Almost too easy.)   Learning with a less expensive drone will sharpen your flying skills much faster.  Those small Syma drones require a lot more practice & skill to fly than a DJI.  If you can learn with a toy drone the transition to DJI will be easy.
2016-10-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

To be honest, I would not suggest the Mavic as your first drone. Buy something in the $100 or less range and play with that for bit first.
The Mavic and all DJI aircraft are full of amazing technology and even though it's very easy to learn, you really need to know all the functions, features, and limitations of it.
I would just hate to see you crash a $1,000 aircraft.But if take it very easy and read the manual cover to cover and fully understand it entirely and watching all the tutorial videos, then you will be fine starting with the Mavic.
2016-10-12
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would suggest first to learn how to hover with a manual quadcopter first, then learn to fly a square pattern, after that practice hovering with the copter facing you. That should cover most of the basic stuff.
2016-10-12
Use props
2000vadasz2
lvl.3

United States

that is true but if you think about how portable the magic is compared to the phantom its a deal breaker. With some recent footage it has been proven that the magics camera is BETTER than the Phantom 4. It preforms better in lowlight conditions and the sky and sunsets look way better than on the phantom 4. The propellers also very surprisingly never get into the propeller unless you are taking very sharp turns in sport mode. It is insane how little propellers you see in the footage compared to the phantom 4. And its not just for instagramers but even some people who need pro footage can use mavic. If you are wondering where i got all this information pls watch iphonedo's video It really shows how much better phantom 4 is than magic. Hope this helps your decision.
2016-10-12
Use props
mamula.marko
New

Croatia

Thanks for all the answers guys! I guess I will then buy a $100 drone before buying the mavic.

Another question: Can I get DJI Care if I buy the drone in a local shop?
2016-10-12
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

mamula.marko Posted at 2016-10-12 14:01
Thanks for all the answers guys! I guess I will then buy a $100 drone before buying the mavic.

Anot ...

Yes, you have 48 hours after you register your drone with DJI to get DJI Care.
2016-10-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

mamula.marko Posted at 2016-10-13 04:01

Anot ...

Yes, DJI Care Refresh is available within 48 hours of activation.
BUT I would purchase it before you activate the aircraft.After you all get your aircraft (if from other dealers) come back to DJI and use this link to purchase DJI Care Refresh.
http://store.dji.com/product/dji ... vic-pro?from=search
2016-10-12
Use props
Revs
lvl.3
Flight distance : 73514 ft
United Kingdom

I'd go for an Inductrix. Cheap, tough and crazy good fun indoors. Ducted fans so no broken props.
2016-10-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

mamula.marko Posted at 2016-10-13 04:01

Anot ...

Yes you can. Buy from an authorized dealer. And use this link after you buy but better to do it before you fly.
http://store.dji.com/product/dji ... vic-pro?from=search
2016-10-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Revs Posted at 2016-10-13 06:04
I'd go for an Inductrix. Cheap, tough and crazy good fun indoors. Ducted fans so no broken props.

You can get decent Syma drones from Amazon for a great price and they are built pretty good.
2016-10-12
Use props
mamula.marko
New

Croatia

Hi guys, I just wanted to buy the SYMA X5C-1 however I see many of them have different designs and I am confused if the ones that are on ebay (link below) are indeed the upgraded versions. Also often the description says X5C and right after that X5C-1 so no one can say which version it is... Could anyone please verify that this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/360-Syma-X5C-1-Explorers-2-4Ghz-4CH-6-Axis-Gyro-RC-Quadcopter-w-HD-Camera-RTF-/221791352445?hash=item33a3cb767d:g:~7wAAOSw5HJXLBRV is indeed the upgraded version? I also don't know how many upgrades there were so that's why I want to ask and make sure it is it. Thanks!
2016-10-15
Use props
Cactus Bert
lvl.3

Canada

I ordered my Mavic Pro today
2016-10-16
Use props
Maverikster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 24672 ft
Netherlands

mamula.marko Posted at 2016-10-15 17:19
Hi guys, I just wanted to buy the SYMA X5C-1 however I see many of them have different designs and I ...

The first pic in your ebay link is not an X5C, it's the X5SC. The other pics seem to show the X5C (not the X5C-1). The title however clearly implies you'll be buying an X5C-1 (recognizable by having a red X when it says X5C on the back). Confusing...
2016-10-17
Use props
SR-71Habu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 191125 ft
United States

I think the answer to this dilemma is very dependent on the purchaser. If you are a quick study, read manuals, have good hand/eye coordination, and most importantly exercise strong conservative judgement then just buy the Mavic. If you break things frequently and don't analyze situations and just do things without thinking a lot about what you are doing then buy a cheap drone and crash that a lot. It will be less expensive.
2016-10-17
Use props
Salty777
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117077 ft
Malaysia

Hi
I bought a drone for my son a few years ago.... we thought it would be great but it was a pain in the backside to control, really short battery life, wifi only so hardly any range and just to round it off, the video / stills were mediocre at best. It got used now and again for a couple of months but ended up back in its box, never to be seen again!

Then I met someone flying a Phantom 3 Pro during a job...... absolutely fantastic.... so I'm getting a Mavic as soon as I can!
2016-10-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi some people have suggested buying a cheap small drone  for a couple hundred quid, I can't see the point, you will learn to fly much quicker and easier with the Mavic, my advice get dji care refresh hundred quid, you will have great peace of mind while you are learning, and you won't be confused by the strange workings of cheaper drones....
2016-10-17
Use props
2000vadasz2
lvl.3

United States

yes it would be probably the best choice. it is extremely state and simple to fly. if you really want to be careful buy a cheap $45 drone and practice on that. then the mavic will seem really easy to fly. but the mavic is so stable it really is easy to fly.  but make sure you try the dji simulator before you fly it and then you would probably be good to go
2016-10-17
Use props
2000vadasz2
lvl.3

United States

edbighi@gmail.c Posted at 2016-10-12 08:27
Also pick up any cheap toy store quadcopter if you can. Then get real good at flying that thing insi ...

compared to dji products the cheap drones are significantly harder to fly.
2016-10-17
Use props
2000vadasz2
lvl.3

United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2016-10-12 10:14
I will say that learning to fly with an inexpensive toy drone to start is a good idea.  The DJI dron ...

thats what i did and since then i have  never crashed a drone and hope to keep it that way...
2016-10-17
Use props
2000vadasz2
lvl.3

United States

Maxi3D Posted at 2016-10-12 10:59
I would suggest first to learn how to hover with a manual quadcopter first, then learn to fly a squa ...

it would be a lot better because if something goes wrong with the mavic you can easily correct it and save a $1000 drone form crashing.
2016-10-17
Use props
Mpampis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 276476 ft
Germany

It will be my first drone too! I don't think that you have buy first a "cheaper" drone for training, you're gonna waist your money! Better to buy the Mavic pro because as you see in many videos that think it's maybe the easiest drone to fly....
2016-10-17
Use props
Ange1walk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30305 ft

The Mavic Pro will also be my first Drone, pre ordered and waiting sooo patiently!
2016-10-17
Use props
edbighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Italy

It's ok to buy it as a first large drone but, by all means, grab a cheap mini quad, any, at a toy store and learn to fly it well. This learning experience will pay back in volumes. Then in about a month when the "crashed my mavic" threads start taking up 50% of the mavic forum, you can just sit back and laugh.
2016-10-17
Use props
Cactus Bert
lvl.3

Canada

edbighi@gmail.c Posted at 2016-10-17 17:51
It's ok to buy it as a first large drone but, by all means, grab a cheap mini quad, any, at a toy st ...

I agree,
2016-10-20
Use props
Victoria Perry
New

United States

I'd suggest a DJI Spark as your first drone.
[http://www.codewithher.com/2018/ ... perfect-for-travel/]Why DJI Spark is the Best Mini Drone
Get a hang of it then upgrade to a more expensive drone. Unless you're flying for long periods or need 4k, the Spark is all you'll need.
2018-8-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules