Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
That's It! I'm Cancelling My Order And Getting The Karma!
12Next >
4073 52 2016-10-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johnlega
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

... said no one on this board.....

Haaahaaahaaaaa

(sorry - just for fun... delete post if  you like)

: )
2016-10-12
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Go ahead, have fun with 600 ft. Wifi range.
2016-10-12
Use props
Daley
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197953 ft
United States

I'll tell you what, if I was an engineer/designer at GoPro who worked on the Karma design, I would feel pretty terrible about myself after seeing what DJI just put out
2016-10-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Daley Posted at 2016-10-13 03:49
I'll tell you what, if I was an engineer/designer at GoPro who worked on the Karma design, I would f ...

Honestly I love GoPro and have lots of their cameras, but I truly believe that no company in the world can even come close to DJI technology for the same price point.
2016-10-12
Use props
johnlega
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I almost feel sorry for them but hey - if there was no competition, no one would feel the need to come up with something new.... perhaps they will come out with something nice next year, like a handheld gimbal with a joystick button that also does panoramas... oh wait.....
2016-10-12
Use props
Travis199
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144039 ft

I feel they dropped the ball not offering pre orders. I was dead set on the karma until I was blown away by the mavic. I fear this could really ruin GoPro
2016-10-12
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

They dropped the ball by not making it waterproof.

It should have been a no-brainer to make it as tough and rugged as the cameras, an 'action drone' - but instead they offered nothing but fold-up features and the gimbal.

That leaves it entirely exposed and having to compete purely as another drone, so there's just no justification for it when better drones exist.

If they produced it with a good IP rating for waterproofing, showed it could withstand a slow impact and just keep going, show damage mitigation and safety features for higher speed crashes and generally establish it as the drone for adventurers and extreme sports, well then it would have a place at the table. But they didn't.

The GBU Byrd folds up, and the Advanced has a good range.

Aside from branding there's just no compelling argument for the Karma. I just sold my P3 Standard - before getting it, after getting it and throughout the time of ownership I've been very vocal about it being too big and bulky, a PITA for taking on my bike or hiking. I'm the perfect candidate for a small, fold up drone and was excited about the Karma, but it it wasn't enough to tempt me away from the Standard, DJI's bottom of the range Phantom.
2016-10-12
Use props
Revs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73514 ft
United Kingdom

Ha haa

TBH I think the Karma has it's place. It has advantages and disadvantages. The detachable gimbal is nice and the integrated touch screen allows FPV for people who don't have a high-end smart phone. Plus it's modular so users can repair their own drone to an extent.

Don't get me wrong, technologically the Mavic whoops its ass. But that doesn't make it a bad product. Keep in mind it's their first effort, too. Pretty impressive if you take the Mavic out of the equation.
2016-10-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Revs Posted at 2016-10-13 05:01
Ha haa

TBH I think the Karma has it's place. It has advantages and disadvantages. The detachable ...

I agree, I'm sure the Karma is a great product. But also DJI has had 10 years of this experience. This is GoPro's first drone. I'm sure they will continue to improve and evolve. Will that ever catch up to DJI, I highly doubt that.
DJI continues to innovate, DJI will continue to blow your mind.
2016-10-12
Use props
Revs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73514 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-12 22:05
I agree, I'm sure the Karma is a great product. But also DJI has had 10 years of this experience.  ...

I can't see them catching up, but it's healthy to have a little competition. I really hope it doesn't totally flop, I wouldn't want to see them go bust or anything.
2016-10-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Revs Posted at 2016-10-13 05:15
I can't see them catching up, but it's healthy to have a little competition. I really hope it doesn ...

GoPro has a huge following, I think they will do fine with the Karma. But a few months down the road when Karma people and Mavic people end up flying in the same places that's when the Karma guy is going want the Mavic instead.
2016-10-12
Use props
superjet96
lvl.4
Flight distance : 142743 ft
United States

Daley Posted at 2016-10-12 15:49
I'll tell you what, if I was an engineer/designer at GoPro who worked on the Karma design, I would f ...

I mostly agree but those guys for the most part are a tooth in a very large cog and are told what to design with their feedback sometimes.  That whole team and management had to feel no wind in their sails though.
2016-10-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

superjet96 Posted at 2016-10-13 05:28
I mostly agree but those guys for the most part are a tooth in a very large cog and are told what  ...

At least they put out a decent drone and have lots of money, not like 3D Robotics.

http://www.doddlenews.com/blogs/ ... tops-making-drones/
2016-10-12
Use props
Fulgerite
First Officer

United States

The Karma has some good things going for it.  I like the controller design with a built in screen.    But the main problem I have with it is the limited control range via the WiFi radios.

Nobody else is doing realtime video links as well as DJI at this time.  The OcuSync and Lightbridge technology is just way ahead of most other companies at this price point.
2016-10-12
Use props
JudgeRoyBean
lvl.1

I think the worst move GoPro made was to end their relationship with DJI over the high profit sharing percentage GP wanted.....

Just my .02
2016-10-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2016-10-13 06:02
The Karma has some good things going for it.  I like the controller design with a built in screen.   ...

Other are doing high end video transmission but it's expensive (Connex)
2016-10-12
Use props
Fulgerite
First Officer

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-12 15:11
Other are doing high end video transmission but it's expensive (Connex)

Yeah...  All those Amimom kits are OK.  But pricy.  My company has been developing a DVBT system for industrial purposes that has over 35km range...  It's getting it through FCC that's holding everything up...
2016-10-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Karma is great for dji customers, it means that in order for dji to remain brand leader in the drone market , they will have to continue to be ground breaking with there new products to stay ahead of the game, and this will be great for dji customers.
2016-10-12
Use props
Fulgerite
First Officer

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-12 15:50
Karma is great for dji customers, it means that in order for dji to remain brand leader in the drone ...

I absolutely agree.  Some healthy competition is always good.
2016-10-12
Use props
Don Cornelius
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-10-12
Use props
Gmman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1003150 ft
United States

Daley Posted at 2016-10-12 13:49

Na I think it is still a very nice machine for their first drone. Gotta start somewhere. For me it was a real head scratcher. I already have several gopro cameras to use. But you are right the Mavic has so many more features. Never having a drone I'm a little nervous.
2016-10-12
Use props
gckless
lvl.1

United States

bigglyguy Posted at 2016-10-12 15:48
They dropped the ball by not making it waterproof.

It should have been a no-brainer to make it as t ...

This! If they would have made it waterproof, that would have definitely made it a tough decision between the two.

Then again, I don't know if their gimbal itself is even waterproof. That would be an even bigger puzzle as to why it's not waterproof.
2016-10-12
Use props
Don Cornelius
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-10-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Gmman Posted at 2016-10-13 07:52
Na I think it is still a very nice machine for their first drone. Gotta start somewhere. For me it ...

The Mavic or even the Karma being a nice machine for a first drone is a total understatement.
5 years ago none of this stuff was even possible (consumer market). The technology that is inside a DJI Mavic is absolutely incredible and DJI continues to innovate and their aircraft will continue to amaze you are new models are introduced.
2016-10-12
Use props
F6B-Rider
lvl.1

Don Cornelius Posted at 2016-10-13 07:47
DJI Ken- any news of Mavic being updated so we can turn off the obstacle sensors in P mode so we are ...

Uh! Sport Mode=40 mph
2016-10-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

gckless Posted at 2016-10-13 08:20
This! If they would have made it waterproof, that would have definitely made it a tough decision b ...

You probably mean water resistant and not waterproof.
All DJI aircraft have moisture sensors and if activated then the warranty is voided.
Please be careful of the environment.

2016-10-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Fulgerite Posted at 2016-10-13 06:28
Yeah...  All those Amimom kits are OK.  But pricy.  My company has been developing a DVBT system f ...

When I used to fly FPV a few years ago I got my HAM radio license and used a Dragonlink, that was pretty far.
But still, now having the technology the Mavic has an even the P3/P4 and HD downlink is amazing.
2016-10-12
Use props
Mayoo
First Officer
Flight distance : 299708 ft
Canada

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-10-12 15:47
Go ahead, have fun with 600 ft. Wifi range.

Not anymore

Alpha Firmware already increased the range to         Up to 9,840ft (3,000m)

https://shop.gopro.com/International/karmatechspecs
2016-10-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Mayoo Posted at 2016-10-13 12:10
Not anymore

Alpha Firmware already increased the range to         Up to 9,840ft (3,000m)

That's pretty cool if it will go that distance without interference (in interference free area).
2016-10-12
Use props
bvQlltGg1Yw3
lvl.3
New Zealand

I read the Gopro and DJI were working together at one point and communication broke down over what the profit div was going to be.
Gopro must feel even more stupid!
You see this a lot with an established biz that 'owns' their market. They reckon their brand is so good, that people will ignore specs. Look at IBM, Nokia, GM.

Have to say, the only thing that disappoints about the Mavic is not being waterproof. everything should be waterproof these days. Phones (I have a Moto G3), drones, traffic cones :-)
2016-10-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

bvQlltGg1Yw3 Posted at 2016-10-13 12:27
I read the Gopro and DJI were working together at one point and communication broke down over what t ...

The original Phantoms used a GoPro for the camera since DJI didn't make them. Now DJI makes cameras and will continue to innovate them and incorporate them into new drones. These are awesome times, buy a drone and enjoy them.
The Mavic is a highly technological piece of equipment. And being waterproof, come on. tell me the electronics that are not meant for water that are waterproof. And you say phones, but only a tiny amount of them are.
Is you laptop waterproof, If you key fob for your car waterproof?

5 years ago, these technological marvels didn't even exist for you the consumer.
2016-10-12
Use props
bvQlltGg1Yw3
lvl.3
New Zealand

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-13 12:43
The original Phantoms used a GoPro for the camera since DJI didn't make them. Now DJI makes camera ...

You right, a lot of these things aren't waterproof, but they SHOULD and could be waterproof.
Other wise you only use them when the weather is dry, or you pray the the batteries don't die while over water, or that a wave doesn't splash up too high, or that the humidity in a rain forest isn't too great, or that some fool dosn't spill a drink on it.

In one shot in the Gopro video they launch a drone from a kayak. While watching that, I thought 'the only person that launches a non-waterproof drone from the deck of a kayak is someone who can afford to replace it'.

If your going to carry this drone about while 'adventuring' make sure you keep it in a plastic bag (unless your adventuring in suburbia ;-)
2016-10-12
Use props
AlaskanTides
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

bvQlltGg1Yw3 Posted at 2016-10-12 20:59
You right, a lot of these things aren't waterproof, but they SHOULD and could be waterproof.
Other ...

In My experience DJI's Drones are pretty resilient machines.... but they are purpose built camera platforms.
A waterproof drone seems like a Niche market to me, while you're occasional backpacker might use one in the rain or some extreme adventure sport.( perhaps that was a niche the go pro should've filled ).
Not many professional photographers nor the majority of consumers looking for a high end camera are going to use these in the rain.

Perhaps you should google the Splash Drone... I have no experience with them but they claim to be water proof.
2016-10-12
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

My primary use for a small drone will be to take it with me on biking trips around Malaysia.

It's perfectly normal to have a short thunderstorm in the afternoon, that's why they call it rainforest, so yes, ALL of my gear is waterproof, and yes, a Mavic would have to be carried inside a plastic bag (in fact a bag within a bag).

My Toyota car keyfob isn't waterproof (ask me how I know?) but my Ford truck one is. That truck, and my motorbike, are both capable of going through deep water, everything in my backpack has to be capable of taking a splash. Even the newer iPhones are (finally) waterproof, so are Sony phones.

No, most laptops aren't waterproof but you don't normally take a laptop backpacking, do you? The entire point of the Mavic is that it's portable enough to bring with you when you go on adventures outdoors. You don't develop 7km range for use indoors (3.5km if self-crippled as 'CE')

Regarding these moisture sensors that void the warranty, is it even possible to use this thing in a high humidity environment?  What would come under the heading of "moisture"? You're getting me nervous here..
2016-10-12
Use props
JWC P4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-12 23:05
I agree, I'm sure the Karma is a great product. But also DJI has had 10 years of this experience.  ...

"DJI will continue to blow your mind."

As well as your pocket!  :-)    Saying this as I've bought a new P4 only about 5 weeks ago and now I convince myself a Mavic is a must!!!   Darn!!   Well,  Karma is a "beatch" the saying goes, but in reality competition brings innovation and may keep prices at bay...
2016-10-13
Use props
nico
lvl.3
Flight distance : 304590 ft
  • >>>
Germany

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-13 06:43
The original Phantoms used a GoPro for the camera since DJI didn't make them. Now DJI makes camera ...

Hey, come on, the toughbooks are waterproof and there are some more out there.

Isn't it obvious that waterresistant or better waterproof is the next wish? And as you said many things weren't possible in this market 5 years ago. I think waterresistant is something that will be there in some time.
2016-10-13
Use props
Mariuss
First Officer
Flight distance : 2480515 ft
  • >>>
Norway

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-13 05:16
You probably mean water resistant and not waterproof.
All DJI aircraft have moisture sensors and i ...

Do one get this sensor alert in the aircraft status list on the GO?
2016-10-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

JWC P4 Posted at 2016-10-13 16:39
"DJI will continue to blow your mind."

As well as your pocket!  :-)    Saying this as I've bought ...

And after the Mavic will be other innovations, just continue to be amazed.
2016-10-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

bvQlltGg1Yw3 Posted at 2016-10-13 12:59
Other ...

Water resistant maybe (like our industrial ARGUS) but water proof, I don't think so.
2016-10-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

bigglyguy Posted at 2016-10-13 14:29
My primary use for a small drone will be to take it with me on biking trips around Malaysia.

It's  ...

I just talked to the repair shop and it's not an automatically voided warranty. If the flight data shows there was an issue that caused the crash into water then it may be covered.
Moisture may be ok, just not prolonged moisture.
2016-10-13
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules