Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Legalize flying in State Parks!
5345 95 2016-10-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kevinelliott
Second Officer
Flight distance : 354131 ft

GHz-Drew Posted at 2016-10-14 23:13
In our case, people are able to walk up fairly close to all of the rock formations. The wildlife t ...

Why not instead just have a 500 yard distance ban from known wildlife? This is pretty easy to do. We don't have that kind of bird nesting in most of our parks.
2016-10-14
Use props
kevinelliott
Second Officer

flighttime1 Posted at 2016-10-15 02:35
How sad that we now have a group of people whose only option is throwing invectives around when you  ...

You most definitely started their negative attitudes because of your trolling. The proof is in the thread history.
2016-10-14
Use props
kevinelliott
Second Officer

Heniek W Posted at 2016-10-15 03:14
Sorry but model airplane and a drone outfitted with a 4K camera for the purpose of not just flying  ...

I was thinking this exact thing when he mentioned it. RC airplanes and gliders in a parking lot or cornered off lot is for the love of flying -- they are often faster, or do more interesting movements, and the whole purpose is to fly them.

UAV flying is a lot more about photography, cinematography, exploration, and a variety of other activities (such as crop disease detection, or mineral hunting).

To compare them as the same hobby is completely wrong. At least you now know where his perspective is, and thus is not equipped to have this discussion.
2016-10-14
Use props
kevinelliott
Second Officer

Jake Phantom 3  Posted at 2016-10-15 03:43
I have an idea, and it could make everyone happy. Drone Pilots, Fed. & State Gov. My thought is to c ...

This is precisely what he is proposing. Permits to bring in park revenue. I'm for it. And the revenue can help augment any possible growth in enforcement (which I doubt very much).
2016-10-14
Use props
kevinelliott
Second Officer

GHz-Drew Posted at 2016-10-15 04:01
That's the kind of thinking that will hinder the acceptance of our hobby and work. You have to resp ...

No one is suggesting breaking any rules. He is not stating that we should all go out and break the law. This conversation is about finding rational and LEGAL ways to fly in parks -- specifically state parks. National Parks and National Monuments are off limits. That's fine. But this discussion is about working together to find beautiful places to fly and get footage while also being safe and not damaging people or property. Having a sane law around drones in parks is worthwhile.
2016-10-14
Use props
JFlowers1300
lvl.1

United States

GHz-Drew Posted at 2016-10-14 11:13
In our case, people are able to walk up fairly close to all of the rock formations. The wildlife t ...

Birds nest in more places than just State Parks, if the population of the wildlife is known to be active in the park at certain times (as most birds migrate) then flying shouldn't be allowed in certain areas while nesting is occurring. There is certainly a safe compromise here.
2016-10-14
Use props
JFlowers1300
lvl.1

United States

flighttime1 Posted at 2016-10-14 14:35
How sad that we now have a group of people whose only option is throwing invectives around when you  ...

Not "PC" enough for you?
2016-10-14
Use props
JFlowers1300
lvl.1

United States

GHz-Drew Posted at 2016-10-14 16:01
That's the kind of thinking that will hinder the acceptance of our hobby and work. You have to resp ...

But in your stance you are saying you do know better, in that, whatever your experience may be, you know that it's not safe or acceptable to fly in ANY park, this is completely untrue.
2016-10-14
Use props
JFlowers1300
lvl.1

United States

kevinelliott Posted at 2016-10-14 05:25
You're on a pro-drone website forum right now -- one that manufacturers these drones. How are you  ...

It is the same here in Florida, many of the parks I am closest to are located in the middle of the state and consist of absolutely MASSIVE acreages. On a typical day, in the FL heat they are absolutely deserted of both visitors and wildlife which are probably off seeking shade in places that would be pretty inaccessible to drones. There are plenty of open areas that could be designated as safe fly zones.

We just passed the Freedom from Unwarranted Surveillance Act here in FL. While I am all for American Citizens maintaining their privacy and would never use my UAV/Drone to spy on anyone, you end up putting yourself at risk for being a pilot. You may be able to legally fly in a few areas right now but God Forbid you capture the wrong person or their private property while testing out your gear, you stand to be sued as the law is very general and has yet to truly be tested in court. You hit the nail on the head here, it is completely counter-intuitive.
2016-10-14
Use props
JFlowers1300
lvl.1

United States

JFlowers1300 Posted at 2016-10-14 18:23
It is the same here in Florida, many of the parks I am closest to are located in the middle of the  ...

I forgot to mention that many other states are lining up to pass similar legislation. If this continues, there won't be many areas where it is actually safe to fly and capture photography or videography without the threat of lawsuit to all but a select few commercial industries (namely gov. entities).
2016-10-14
Use props
JFlowers1300
lvl.1

United States

kevinelliott Posted at 2016-10-14 17:35
No one is suggesting breaking any rules. He is not stating that we should all go out and break the ...

Better than I've said it in 3 pages. This is exactly what I am trying to advocate for. I don't want anyone to break laws or rules. But we as a community should not be forced into a "gray" area of legal flying and operation of our crafts in order to capture beautiful scenery. By stating that it easier to implement a blanket ban on flying at all State Parks is completely counter-productive to the longevity of UAV/Drone piloting, photography and videography, imho. What I am proposing is that we instead start the conversation of how these practices can be done safely and in a way that is mutually beneficial to all parties involved. Through creating a relationship with entities such as the state parks departments around the country, our community will gain both a voice as well as a leg to stand on to show the benefit of the practice on a national level. We also will gain the benefit of setting rules and standards that most all responsible pilots will abide by, thus creating a system for penalizing the few that are currently are giving us all a bad name and image.
2016-10-14
Use props
JFlowers1300
lvl.1

United States

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/n ... 20150528-story.html

On top of all of this, my parks are considering these types of alternatives to produce income. I don't feel like I have to say anymore about why ANY amount of money would be good for these departments. Logging and grazing to turn profit. You can't tell me that charging for drone permits and allowing people to fly to capture the beauty of the parks would be more detrimental than these practices.
2016-10-14
Use props
mikegrook
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806125 ft
  • >>>
United States

GHz-Drew Posted at 2016-10-14 16:01

I have to add something. I have read the thread and see both sides of the arguments. On Saturday, 10/8 I went to Hickory Run state park in Pennsylvania. I went with the purpose of flying my inspire at sunrise and succeeded. I used a very popular trail that sees a bit of traffic. (hikers). Do to this there is very little wildlife around, Too many humans. I carried my inspire in a backpack case made for it. With the inspire, remote, batteries, tablet and equipment al being hiked with, I had little room for water or much of anything else. Needless to say, I had a wonderful couple of flights and was at a very popular area. Ultimately, What I am trying to say is. I saw no one, had a undisturbed flight, no complaints and could still here trucks and trains going through the park. While transporting your inspire, most people are not going very far. I disturbed nothing and made less noise than what was already present. If we are to be banned from state parks I feel we should be given a real reason instead of a "Blanket Statement" that has nothing of value
2016-10-17
Use props
JFlowers1300
lvl.1

United States

mikegrook Posted at 2016-10-17 11:02
I have to add something. I have read the thread and see both sides of the arguments. On Saturday,  ...

My thoughts exactly, I do not see why a reasonable discussion should not be had to promote changing the current rules/laws to find a more fair solution. There will always be people who do stupid things in regards to all things, not just drones. If you go into the park looking to be disruptive, mischievous or to wreak havoc, you can easily do it without a drone and for MUCH less money. I posted a link on here a little while back which I think shows that the majority of UAV/Drone pilots are actually responsible individuals. The proof is in the numbers: over 700,000 drones sold world wide and approx. a few hundred negative incidents recorded, and even less "serious" incidents.
2016-10-17
Use props
eggbeater
First Officer
Flight distance : 3502972 ft
  • >>>
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2016-10-12 18:03
You are about a year too late on this one OP. It's done.
We have the same thing happening here with  ...

A German Citizen came to this country (USA) and crashed a quad in the Grand Prismatic spring in Yellowstone National Park.  Take you head out of your arse its a world problem!
2016-10-27
Use props
Farnk666
Captain
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

eggbeater Posted at 2016-10-28 05:10
A German Citizen came to this country (USA) and crashed a quad in the Grand Prismatic spring in Ye ...

Really? is it? I wouldn't have known!

The nationality of the pilot is irrelevant - the incident occurred, media hyped it up and your parks service implemented the ban. All that has been taken as precedent and 'best practice' by other parks services across the world.

The actions of a stupid and selfish person has resulted in significant restrictions across an entire global community of UAV practitioners. We see this sort of careless and 'cowboy' attitude everyday with clips posted on Youtube and other sites showing UAV being flown over people, roads, structures and in the immediate vicinity of airfields. Do they care? Hell no! Look at the cool video I took with my Drone!  

As I originally stated, this has happened and there is no turning back the clock.
Unless you can lobby your political class to reverse it, the situation will not change.

Now, is that enough or do you still need a cuddle?
2016-10-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules