Blurry images Inspire Pro
3141 7 2016-10-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HAILSTONE AERIA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 536781 ft
New Zealand

Hi, I cant figure out why when I am getting blurry images. Its peoples face generally at close distance. I have calibrated the camera exactly as dji instructs.

Auto focus is ok, but manual focus.. I cant get it right. It looks in focus on the ipad but its really hard to tell. Then when I look at the images on my computer they are blurry! Its really fustrating.

The strange thing is, is that when I switch to video the same images in video are as sharp as tacks.

I thought I should be able to put the focus on infinity and should be sweet, but its not.
I think the whole thing is out of focus, but at greater distance its harder to tell.

2016-10-12
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hi,Has your drone crashed before? You can send us your original photo and we will check it.
2016-10-12
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Have you tried the Focus assistants on the Camera tools Icon ?  Looks Hideous on the screen but helps to know if you are in focus .

donnie
2016-10-13
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

How do you manually focus? Do you use the app, the Follow Focus controller or the RC? Are you using the stock 15mm lens or a 3rd party one?
2016-10-13
Use props
HAILSTONE AERIA
lvl.2
New Zealand

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have never crashed the drone. Yes I do use focus assistant, but its really tricky because it zooms back out automatically before I can get it right.

I focus using the C1 and wheel. But really the wheel moves the focus ring too fast, so I have to go back and forwards. Can you slow it down. Im using the stock lens.

Its almost like you really need virtual googles because its too hard to see on the iPad if its in focus, does anybody else find this.

More testing today.

Thanks again
2016-10-13
Use props
Morrisson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20710033 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you tried a lens "calibration"?

There's a great piece here:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-40249-1-1.html

He explains a lot about the subject and with the X5.
2016-10-14
Use props
HAILSTONE AERIA
lvl.2
New Zealand

After more testing I think I can answer my own question. Shutter Speed. When the drone is in the air obviously the camera isn't being held dead still so the movement of the camera along with any movement on the ground means that you should have the shutter speed set very high, like you would for a moving action shot, so the subject is not blurred.
Update.

It wasnt only shutter speed. I think it could be the lens calibration. This is a real problem area for these. Get rid of it DJI, it just causes problems.
DJI tells us to calibrate using a high contrast images 50 metres away. So I done this, but then when I use manual focus to infinity anything more than 50m away is out of focus. But if I calibrate the camera on something 200m away everything is in focus using infinity.
The other possible cause is aperture setting. I was using 5.7 as many have said to use for landscape. But it seems like I should have been using 8 or higher.

Hopefully this thread is helpful for anybody else having the same issue.

HAILSTONE AERIAL FILMS - Leading the way

www.hailstoneaerialfilms.co.nz

2016-10-17
Use props
HAILSTONE AERIA
lvl.2
New Zealand

Deleted update, not sure how to just delete.
2016-10-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules