Commercial flight questions I ponder....
798 4 2016-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drew Vallejo
lvl.3
United States

I don't mean to get to far off DJI topic but was curious about commercial UAV laws and how major businesses will be circumnavigating them. I think by now, we have been seeing the news on how Amazon and other companies want to use them to deliver goods but I'm curious on how they will be allowed to ignore night and LOS flights. I'm almost certain that they can't be flying under the same 107 rules but if that is the case, will we also be able to apply for these special cases as well? Any one have any thoughts?
2016-10-13
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Drew ,
     I think that amazon for example did a clever job of getting a lot of advertising for free with little intention of drone delivery, at least not in the near future. There have already been alot of knee jerk reaction with drone regulation that I dont understand, this is still essentially RC models which have been  following the rules and regulations for years.  I think this is an emerging  hobby and  the Genie is out of the bottle as well (GPS- drones )  with technology improvements delivery ( via drone )  is about 5 years away In my opinion,  This will be in limited markets to start and in 20 years will be common practice to have drone delivery.  Laws will be changed and written to support companies with deep pockets.

Just my thoughts - I ramble a bit so sorry

donnie
2016-10-13
Use props
GHz-Drew
lvl.3
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-10-13 14:50
Drew ,
     I think that amazon for example did a clever job of getting a lot of advertising for f ...

I definitely agree. Drone delivery is still something that is far off from becoming reality but wonder what other companies are up to as well. What really got me curious on the subject was Verizon announcing data plans for UAV's. At first I was trying to think why they thought it might be necessary on a UAV and only came up with if it was flown out of LOS for video downlink. Then I began to think of agricultural uses and then search and rescue. These all must break some Part 107 rules but how? Anyways, my chance to ramble.
2016-10-13
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Drone delivery news stories are all about share price for an ageing business model seeking to be perceived as innovative, nothing to do with actual real world application of UAV.
In what way does using a 60-100 thousand dollar UAV to deliver a $10 package deliver ROI?
2016-10-13
Use props
MJones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 74783 ft
United States

In the US, 14 CFR Part 107 governs all UAS operations for aircraft under 55lbs for any operation other than hobby or recreational use.  For operations in conflict with the regulation, such as night flight or operation over people not directly participating in the operation, the FAA has an online waiver application process.  You must submit the required information and await a response.  14 CFR Part 107 Subpart D 107.205 lists those parts of the regulation for which a waiver will be considered.

Regards,

Mike
2016-10-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules