Is DJI swapping out your "repair" with someone else's return?
1279 15 2016-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wcharwood
lvl.2
Flight distance : 484652 ft
United States

I am growing more and more concerned as I hear customer experiences with DJI regarding returns for "repairs". What's even more upsetting is the fact that DJI reads these concerns and doesn't have anything to say. $1,300 dollars plus another $299 plus another $200 in filters plus another $100 in accessories. My hard earned money that could have been spent on my family instead I decided to invest in a product that I believed was being produced by a good company with good customer service and a good "Care" plan to cover any "issues" with the product. I spent hours upon hours researching this before buying. I read every possible review and experience from customers dealing with DJI. Now I'm invested in this situation and realizing that I may just need to abandon this entire idea of expecting to have my P4 repaired and returned to me by DJI despite what they advertised as the appearance of "product protection" for $299; giving the consumer the impression that their drone which is actually owned by the consumer, but once returned for the $299 "Care" product protection plan, is going to be placed on a shelf and the drone that came in for the same "Care" plan a week earlier is taken off the shelf and sent to the customer in place of their return. $299 for this action. How many $299 plans have they sold? This seems like a big Ponzi scam and should be investigated by the BBB. I may just have to chalk it up to lesson learned. I am invested now, time and money, pride and determination to ensure that I do everything according to their policy. It's their "policy" that will be thrown in my face at the end of the day with someone quoting some "fine print". It's not the impression I was sold. I know where I've flown my drone and how well I've taken care of it. I purchased a brand new drone that wasnt crashed or abused. Within 4 months my drone is unusable because of the video having such horrible "interference" that it simply is unusable. It's the main purpose of why I purchased the drone. Please do not send me a refurbished one when I paid for a brand new one 4 months ago. It's apparently DJI's problem of a much larger scale in the quality of the parts or the craftsmen ship of its assembly. Either way, I paid for a brand new drone 4 months ago that was apparently doomed to fail because of manufacturers defect. Perhaps a bad shipment of computer chips or bad video ribbons or some product defect within the bird or the controller that didn't show its ugly head durring quality control but it most certainly is roaring to life now with all these complaints and issues revealing themselves through customer forums. Instead of the customer taking the hit for this because of their "fine print" I suggest that DJI replace drones with brand new product off the assembly line and leave the refurbished units for discounted sale. I didn't spend an extra $299 for a discounted refurbished unit to be sent back to me within 4 months of giving them almost $2000 dollars. I would expect that DJI would move their problem solving in the direction of the parts suppliers and design experts/engineers/developers rather than the complete opposite direction to their customer and try to push off someone else's drone that was returned for "repair". would a class action suit be the answer to the time and expense that DJI is passing off to the consumer for threes issues rather than focusing on suppliers/developers. It would seem to me that a sampling of 10 P4's returned for the same video issues would be enough for me to lock myself in a room with the right tools and diagnostic equipment to determine the cause and begin a plan to swap out whatever is causing the issue and then determine if it was a manufacturing defect or supplier defect and eliminate the problem from the assembly line. It's probably more profitable to open a box, remove the drone and set it on a shelf labeled "shaky gimbal only" and pull a drone from the "video transmission issue" shelf, put it back in a box and send it back to the customer with an "invoice" showing what you would have paid for "repairs" to make you feel good about the $299 you spent on the ponzi game. I am going to move forward with sending my bird back for "repairs" as advised by DJI. What choice do I really have, they took all of my money and left me with a broken drone just 4 short months after I withdrew it from my bank account.
2016-10-13
Use props
stephen_carney
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70873 ft
Australia

I would not care, if I returned my drone, all I want back is a fully functional drone.
2016-10-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

I'm sorry you are experiencing difficulties.
Could you please provide me with your support ticket number or case number?
I'll help to look into your case.
2016-10-13
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

stephen_carney@ Posted at 2016-10-14 16:35
I would not care, if I returned my drone, all I want back is a fully functional drone.

I'd agree with you if it's a warranty repair, but mine has been returned as a DOA out-of-the-box. I would be very, very unimpressed if I bought a brand new Phantom 4, found it dodgy, returned it within the 15 days (including shipping from Canberra to Melbourne) and had it replaced with a refurbed unit with who-knows how many hours of wear on it...

That being stated, I'm told by DJI-Mindy that it'd be swapped out with new. We'll see. I'll post back here with the outcome.
2016-10-13
Use props
MGR57
lvl.2

United States

stephen_carney@ Posted at 2016-10-14 02:05

If the drone you sent in was all dinged up, and you had not used extreme care in using it, then you might not care.

Me, I keep mine like new; even though I fly it a lot.  So I would not be happy if I had an issue, returned it to DJI and received one back in any condition other than pristine, just-like-new....especially if I had paid for the $299 care plan (which I did not.)
2016-10-14
Use props
MGR57
lvl.2

Isolate the video issue.  When you download the mp4 or move, do the green and black bands show up?....If so, then it is a drone/camera problem.  If the RECORDED videos are smooth without bands, then it is more likely a tablet issue.  I use an iPad mini Air 2....but I have to make sure ONLY the DJI app is running, Hardware Encode ON, etc...and it works pretty well.  It is a processor problem.....DJI Go sucks a lot of processor power.  If your DOWNLOADED videos are smooth, then search the forum for threads where others are complaining about green and black bands....Alternatively click on my icon, check my posts and download the P4 Operating Manual I created...One of the lists has camera/video/tablet recommended settings.
2016-10-14
Use props
cubguy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85505 ft
United States

MGR57 Posted at 2016-10-14 09:01
Isolate the video issue.  When you download the mp4 or move, do the green and black bands show up?.. ...

MGR57. Could you post a link to that manual? Apparently I'm not very good at searching. I was hoping some one would improve on that thing called a manual.
2016-10-14
Use props
MGR57
lvl.2

cubguy@alaska.n Posted at 2016-10-15 01:36
MGR57. Could you post a link to that manual? Apparently I'm not very good at searching. I was hopi ...

forum.dji.com/thread-64472-1-1.html
2016-10-14
Use props
cubguy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85505 ft
United States

MGR57 Posted at 2016-10-14 09:48
forum.dji.com/thread-64472-1-1.html

Thank you. That's good stuff. The mods need to put this some where everyone can see it.
2016-10-14
Use props
MGR57
lvl.2

United States

It'll take more than BBB to improve customer service...You would TOTALLY be wasting your time going there.
2016-10-14
Use props
MGR57
lvl.2

United States

cubguy@alaska.n Posted at 2016-10-14 14:40
Thank you. That's good stuff. The mods need to put this some where everyone can see it.

Thank you. Hope it helps....understand that many here don't see the need to learn all they can about the aircraft before going out and crashing it.....then "it's not my fault"...
2016-10-14
Use props
wcharwood
lvl.2
United States

MGR57 Posted at 2016-10-14 14:19
Thank you. Hope it helps....understand that many here don't see the need to learn all they can abou ...

Dear MGR57 - I also saved a copy of your manual and found it to be extremely helpful. Many thanks for sharing.
2016-10-15
Use props
wcharwood
lvl.2
United States

stephen_carney@ Posted at 2016-10-14 01:05

I've read through my DJI Care Service Agreement.  This agreement does NOT contain any language referencing a replacement being a "refurbished" drone. In fact -

Section III - Coverage Amount clearly states "if your aircraft is complete;y damaged or presumed to be completely damaged and needs to be exchanged with a NEW one.....

And further stating again in Section III "However, if your aircraft is completely damaged or presumed to be completely damaged and needs to be exchanged with a new one"

There is absolutely no language in this agreement, which is provided to the customer from DJI for an extra $299, that states anything about replacement with a used or refurbished unit.

This is exactly what was "sold" to me in the sales pitch by my "enjoy" representative and it is exactly as I read the agreement.

I believe DJI needs to honor this agreement and send a new drone if the original one sent in under this plan needs to be replaced. New means New and not used by someone for a few months and returned.
2016-10-15
Use props
MGR57
lvl.2

United States

Hope the Refernce Guide helps.

On another note...You have not told me if your video mp4 or MOV, on the SD card, has video issues?  That will go a long way toward isolating the problem.
2016-10-15
Use props
wcharwood
lvl.2
United States

MGR57 Posted at 2016-10-15 13:32
Hope the Refernce Guide helps.

On another note...You have not told me if your video mp4 or MOV, on  ...

I have good news and hope it has been fixed. First, the video issue recorded exactly what I was seeing on the screen. I will try to upload them to this forum for review. I took the card out and put it in my computer and the playback was the same chopped up/green and black lines moving all over the place/occasionally seeing a bit of an image but only at section of the screen while the remaining screen area is all jumbled with what I would call interference issues.

Last night I deleted my DJI Go app and reinstalled. Closed all apps, connected my P4, started the remote and the app and the P4, downloaded the latest firmware and had to try the download a couple of times before it finally went through. Restarted everything. I went outside and flew with the Video on. I recorded from 10 feet in front of me out to about 150 feet in the yard and maybe 75 feet high for about 5 minutes while I switched between all the video resolutions. I figured out that I needed to stop recording and then switch resolution and start again. I had no interference issues!
2016-10-15
Use props
MGR57
lvl.2

United States

Good news...
Happy droning!
2016-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules