Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone Parachute for DJI Mavic Pro Safety?
12Next >
14764 51 2016-10-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
D&G
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I was looking around for a parachute compatibale with smaller drones DJI Mavic Pro 1.6 lb. Anyone know of a 'reliable' parachute for drones that support up to 2 lbs?

I saw the Mars Mini V2 (which is too large) supports up to 4 lbs which is Phantom 3 compatible @ 2.8 lbs.
http://www.marsparachutes.com/product/mars-mini/
I also have a good idea of the practical uses for a parachute and most only work above 160ft.

Just would like for; Extra peace of mind,
After DJI care refresh year ends,
Extra safety,
+ Parachute are cool!

2016-10-15
Use props
Exib
Captain
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Why do you need one what do you think is going to happen? Do you think it's going to drop from the sky while flying
2016-10-15
Use props
D&G
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Exib Posted at 2016-10-15 04:28
Why do you need one what do you think is going to happen? Do you think it's going to drop from the s ...

Just for peace of mind.

I do not expect to ever cras.. land my drone on a person or encounter any bird attacks. Just looking at extra options.
Bird attacks @ 2m58s http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/life-raft-election/n11682
2016-10-15
Use props
kevinljxljx
Banned

China

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-10-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You get a nice carrier bag with Mavic combo keep it in there you'll never loose it....
2016-10-15
Use props
Fulgerite
First Officer

United States

Most drone crashes are caused by striking trees, buildings, etc...   A parachute does nothing in that situation.
2016-10-15
Use props
D&G
lvl.4
  • >>>

kevinljxljx Posted at 2016-10-15 08:24
a full system cost about $200 and can't guarantee no damage from the fall. DJI care for Mavic is $99 ...

$99+ 79 Thanks and I did know and already said in the post above.
It also only lasts one year.
+Parachutes are cool!
2016-10-15
Use props
D&G
lvl.4
  • >>>

Fulgerite Posted at 2016-10-15 09:16
Most drone crashes are caused by striking trees, buildings, etc...   A parachute does nothing in tha ...

Thanks and yes I watched a bunch of funny drone crash videos.
Wanted the parachute for the other types of crashes! Also saw most only work above 160ft, so I have an idea of the limitations.
+Parachutes are cool!
2016-10-15
Use props
skyrider420
Banned

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-10-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

D&G Posted at 2016-10-16 00:20
$99+ 79 Thanks and I did know and already said in the post above.
It also only lasts one year.
+Pa ...

Honestly, for most people 1 year is enough. The next greatest will be out way before then and you'll sell your Mavic for that one

2016-10-15
Use props
D&G
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-15 07:45
Honestly, for most people 1 year is enough. The next greatest will be out way before then and you' ...

Yes good point some are selling their old drones, others are keeping for one reason or another.

I was planning to keep the Mavic Pro for a really long time as a back up 'AND' a 2nd drone my family/friends could fly around while Id be using the Mavic Pro 2!!

Everyone is trying to talk me out of the parachute! Parachutes are so cool! I guess I am in the lone camp of trying to find a small sized parachute XD.
2016-10-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

D&G Posted at 2016-10-16 02:11
Yes good point some are selling their old drones, others are keeping for one reason or another.

I'd want a GPS tracker more than a parachute.
2016-10-15
Use props
D&G
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-15 08:19
I'd want a GPS tracker more than a parachute.

Oh that would be nice.

If the DJI Mavic Pro 2 had a GPS tracker an add-on parachute option and if it was floatable. I think all my bases would be covered for awhile!
2016-10-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

D&G Posted at 2016-10-16 02:23
Oh that would be nice.

If the Mavic Pro 2 had a GPS tracker an add-on parachute option and if it ...

And when crashed into the water could also be used as a submarine. Maybe the Mavic2
2016-10-15
Use props
D&G
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-15 08:55
And when crashed into the water could also be used as a submarine. Maybe the Mavic2

Yes please just do away with the cable and I am for it. So much water around Hawaii!

2016-10-15
Use props
Lepus
lvl.4

Canada

I think propeller guards would be better for the mavic then a parachute.
2016-10-15
Use props
msduncanrolltid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2016-10-15 11:16
Most drone crashes are caused by striking trees, buildings, etc...   A parachute does nothing in tha ...

I guess it could fall after smashing and crunching into the tree or building?  LOL
2016-10-15
Use props
D&G
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

msduncanrolltid Posted at 2016-10-15 09:30
I guess it could fall after smashing and crunching into the tree or building?  LOL

The parachute might catch on lower branches! Hitting buildings, most parachutes needs 160 feet to catch air and fully deploy.
2016-10-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

D&G Posted at 2016-10-16 03:05
Yes please just do away with the cable and I am for it. So much water around Hawaii!

https://youtu ...

Oh ya, no problem. Mavic2
2016-10-15
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Forget a parachute for the Mavic.
It's a lightweight drone and you don't want to handicap it by carrying excess baggage like a parachute.
2016-10-17
Use props
fansfbb7c2d2
lvl.1
United States

I'd also like to know if there's a parachute system which will work with the Mavic. I'll be traveling to Chile and apparently it's one of the laws for flying drones there: https://uavsystemsinternational. ... y/chile-drone-laws/

Anyone have an answer to the OP?
2016-11-2
Use props
niclariv
lvl.1

Canada

If there is a parachute for the Mavic, I'm thinking it would be more useful for liability reasons in the event that you're flying and it were to lose power for some reason.  I know that's not likely to happen, but if it did, and it came down and hit somebody or something, it could cause some serious damage.  In Canada it seems the law says not to fly over people, but maybe if it could be proven that backup systems like this worked that law could be relaxed for qualified operators.  
2016-11-9
Use props
Pierre35
lvl.4
Flight distance : 117881 ft
Malaysia

Someone should invent airbag for drone. Could minimize damage and will float on the water.
2016-11-9
Use props
fans1c9fffff
lvl.3
Flight distance : 25430 ft
United States

D&G Posted at 2016-10-16 02:23
Oh that would be nice.

If the DJI Mavic Pro 2 had a GPS tracker an add-on parachute option and if ...

If your Mavic should drop into water by parachute....you'd be out of luck if you try claim DJI Care Refresh or the DJI warranties for damages.
2016-11-9
Use props
D&G
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fans1c9fffff Posted at 2016-11-9 16:56
If your Mavic should drop into water by parachute....you'd be out of luck if you try claim DJI Car ...

True but the parachute is not just for water, main point is safety and after hitting the ground could prevent 2+ weeks of sending it back for repair.

2016-11-13
Use props
Elnan.do
lvl.3

Norway

Adding the chute, launcher, electronics, battery. Sound like 200+ grams. Thats adding 25% to the takeoff weight. What kind of handling and battery life do you expect with that deadweight on its back?
2016-11-13
Use props
D&G
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Elnan.do Posted at 2016-11-13 11:49
Adding the chute, launcher, electronics, battery. Sound like 200+ grams. Thats adding 25% to the tak ...

The larger version for the P4 or up to 4lb drone says "Total System Weight: 3.5 oz. (99g)"
I assume a smaller version could be made for the Mavic.

Correct me if I am reading any of that wrong. Thanks !!
2016-11-13
Use props
sanuk
Second Officer
Australia

DJI could scale down their own Dropsafe solution to Mavic, I guess:

http://www.dji.com/dropsafe

This one could also be made Mavic-sized, I guess:

2016-11-13
Use props
Elnan.do
lvl.3

Norway

D&G Posted at 2016-11-14 00:38

The larger version for the P4 or up to 4lb drone ...

....plus the mounting bracket, controller and battery. Dont think that you find a servo-connection on the mavic breadboard. And no option to control a servo from the remote so it have to be standalone i guess. And if its gonna be smaler the number of parts is probably not gonna change, so its limited how smal it can be.
2016-11-14
Use props
D&G
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Elnan.do Posted at 2016-11-14 08:55
....plus the mounting bracket, controller and battery. Dont think that you find a servo-connection ...

It looks like the mounting hardware was included, it could be wrong.

So the Mayday system: Weight: .5 oz. (14g)
How much would a battery add?

MARS 58 V2 (aircraft max weight 10lbs) Weight w/ Parachute: 10.20 oz. (289g)
MARS MINI V2 (aircraft max weight 4lbs) Total System Weight: 3.5 oz. (99g)
Mavic 2lbs, I doubt they could cut the weight in half again, but I'd imagine cutting down the parachute weight, less mounting surface which to even fit the small Mavic would force it to be smaller.

You are right battery life would go down but I do not plan on taking it out to max range 4 miles and can just carry extra batteries. Yes the parachute/batteries then defeats the small form factor value of the Mavic but some will make this trade off.
2016-11-14
Use props
fans83475352
lvl.1
Australia

Yeh flying here in Australia has become extreamly difficult as most places you are just not allowed to fly and one of the main reasons is if a quad copter fails i falls hard from numerous issues and can do damage to property and persons aka risk reduction - mind you these new laws here are a blanket treatment of all drones from the dumb to the hyper intelligent mavic.

" we can install a parachute. This is usually activated by an excessive rate of decent or radical roll / pitch / yaw movements. This gives us another degree of risk mitigation."

so the application of a dedicated designed specifically for the mavic drone would be brilliant and allow us flyers in australia more opportunities to fly for those great shots.
2017-2-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans83475352 Posted at 2017-2-3 07:24
Yeh flying here in Australia has become extreamly difficult as most places you are just not allowed to fly and one of the main reasons is if a quad copter fails i falls hard from numerous issues and can do damage to property and persons aka risk reduction - mind you these new laws here are a blanket treatment of all drones from the dumb to the hyper intelligent mavic.

" we can install a parachute. This is usually activated by an excessive rate of decent or radical roll / pitch / yaw movements. This gives us another degree of risk mitigation."

I think your right, in the Mavic there are certain redundancies like 2 IMU 2 compass etc, but when it comes to quads one motor goes no redundancy, just fall out of the sky, if your battery fails just drop out of the sky.
Unlike octocopter or hexocopter if you loose motor you will still be able to land safely.

I think eventually like Inspire 2 these small quads will have an emergency back up battery, but I can't see any redundancy coming anytime soon for motors on quads, so a parachute looks like something that might help.
2017-2-3
Use props
FS Airways
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1694491 ft
Australia

"Why do you need one what do you think is going to happen? Do you think it's going to drop from the sky while flying"

Yep, mine did.
2017-2-10
Use props
Ithinky
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39839 ft
Portugal

Hi. I had a phantom for about 2 years and it was great, till it crashed with no reason because of the battery. It had 70% of energy and just died in the air. The drone crashed into 2 cars and i had to pay 900$ for the damages. The phantom just went to the garbage. When i tell my story many people still thinks that these drones won't failure. It's mostly electronics. Just open one and you'll see. the new drones have two batteries for a reason. Check Mars parachute. It looks nice.
2017-3-1
Use props
geofox784
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1482175 ft
United States

Or just buy insurance to have EVERYTHING covered. With state farm its $60 a year. No deductible. Covers anything you can think of. https://www.reddit.com/r/dji/com ... rm_insurance_guide/
2017-3-1
Use props
Koskader
New

Cyprus

More sensors would be more helpful for 360 degrees obstacle avoidance.
2017-3-1
Use props
Protomite
lvl.1

United States

I live in the sticks and my biggest concern would be finding my Mavic and I don't want it hanging 100 ft up in a tree by a parachute. I bought a small strobe light & battery lasts 8 plus hours...should be enough time to hunt it down. Just an idea for ya.
2017-3-4
Use props
RightStuffed
lvl.1
United States

Is it true the mavic cannot fly with one motor out? I see mine spool down one motor completey at times and yet to have it fall out of the sky.
2017-3-4
Use props
BentonJoyce
Second Officer
Flight distance : 234318 ft
United States

i think the only people that need this are gopro karma owners
2017-3-4
Use props
RaySchlogel
lvl.1
Flight distance : 469 ft
United States

I'm so confused by the amount of baulking over the concept. Seems to me utterly brilliant. How many of the drone laws that we are subjected to are over the fear of drones dropping out of the sky? Maybe it wouldn't save the Mavic if ya ran it into a building but could be a nice favor to the people below it. One could say that according to the FAA drone pilots aren't supposed to do that in the first place, have ya seen any of Casey Neistat's videos? Love his stuff but it's hard not to see the potential danger. And there are a slew of others up there that are similar. Watched one today with a particularly annoying guy flying his over Beverly Hills Boulevard,  a hotel person told him that he called the police, and the guy said smugly "It was under 400 ft so call the police, I know the law." Then he went home and looked up the law and beyond comprehension was latter asking a friend about range extenders that would let him fly it 7 miles. Drones are imperfect, they malfunction all the time, even amazing ops can have something go awry, and yea, a crash into a tree branch may break a blade or two but it's the plummeting to earth that'll kill it. I'm a new op, I barely know what the heck I'm doing, but think I'd feel a whole lot better having that fail-safe and hope DJI or someone invents something to fill that need. I'm not the first to say it but there are a whole lot of people who aren't following the guidelines, the laws, or common sense, and the first time someone drops one out of the sky and kills someone pro's and hobbyist are gonna get the hurt on. The public by and large ain't fans of em as is. My 2 cents =)
2017-3-10
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules