Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
The inspire wobble
3829 21 2015-2-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The Wobble has been a popular dance at wedding receptions for the last several years. Just when I thought the wobble craze was over it shows up in a new form! Not sure why this is happening. I took off, raised the landing gear, the gimbal twitched, then the rest of the day anytime I tried to fly forward the wobble would start. flying in any other direction was fine but forward gave me this result every time.
I had the ND filter on, celebrated compass before take off, etc... I have had many successful flights before this so what is the issue?
after this flight same day I changed the dampeners to the stiffer ones....still wobbles.. any help?

2015-2-2
Use props
tkn78.aol
lvl.1

United States

Another great feature discovered
2015-2-2
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

TKN78 please change your Avatar.  You are using DJI copyrighted material and as you are not an employee, you are not entitled to use it.  In addition it can cause confusion on the part of users.  I appreciate your cooperation.
2015-2-11
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the help Tahoe_ed. nice to know where priorities lay... meanwhile I still have wobble.
2015-2-11
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
Flight distance : 729560 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mark, what was the temperature on the day in question. Was it much colder or much warmer than previous flights?
2015-2-12
Use props
Dude
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

This really concerns me. I have seen this in my GoPro footage and it has always been explained as a problem with the rolling shutter. The fix has been an ND filter, but I haven't seen great results. Does anyone know if DJI is addressing this issue? It makes the footage unusable in my opinion.
2015-2-12
Use props
darickyeo.gmail
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4108688 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

That's the jello effect.  You can google a lot of info about reducing jello for aerial videos.   Get a better ND filter if the places you shoot in gets really bright.  Then bring down your shutter speed (different from frame rate btw).   
Oh... do a proper IMU calibration too on a flat ground.  Hope that helps.
2015-2-12
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

So, Before this flight I was able to get good clean footage with out wobble or jello while flying in any direction. The problem is not shutter speed or ND filter because I had them on and as low as possible. This is a problem that started with this flight. as I said I can fly any direction except forward without jello. if I want a forward shot I have to turn the camera backwards and back up toward a subject. this produces clean results. IT IS ONLY forward flying and sometimes hovering that produces this. I have a very small chip in one of my props (waiting for replacement parts) but I can not understand why that would only cause problems with forward flight... I have been flying every day since this day at different times of the day and night and the problem is the same. When the gamble was working correctly the footage was beautiful but now not so much when I fly forward.
2015-2-12
Use props
Dude
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

It certainly looks like jello to me, but perhaps the prop is causing some vibration. I would really love to hear a DJI camera engineer comment on what can be done or that they are aware and are working on this. I know it's a shutter issue, but is any of it due to the dampening of the gimbal? Could they please offer a stronger ND filter than what they provide? I wonder if they could create an option for the remote assignable button that would assist (force a slower shutter while opening Iris and altering the ISO)....or now that I think about this, is jello only noticeable on playback?
2015-2-12
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Dude, I can see the jello on the iPad while filming.... That's how I figured out that I was not getting it while flying backwards.. I did some flights yesterday at high noon...  (without a ND filter because I broke it while cleaning it and still waiting on spare parts to start shipping). Even without the filter and a shutter speed of 800+ I was able to get useable footage while flying backwards but anything going forward was like walking through the fun house mirrors at a carnival. I found some props on eBay that should arrive in a few days so I will be able to test with clean props. Hopefully this fixes the issue but then I still need to find another filter option...
2015-2-12
Use props
Cinestar
lvl.1
Flight distance : 615007 ft
Norway

have you check if the tube thats hold the landing gear are loose?
on mine inspire the tube was loose and course wobbling ,you have to tightened the loose carbon booms
dji is having marks on it so if you brake this you got problems:-),but why is the boom loose??
2015-2-12
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cinestar Posted at 2015-2-13 06:22
have you check if the tube thats hold the landing gear are loose?
on mine inspire the tube was loose ...

There is a very little amount of movement at this point but the nut seems to be tight and I am worried about removing the tape to tighten more...
2015-2-12
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

For reference... here is the footage I walked away with on that day. All these shots were shot either flying left & right or backwards. none of the forward shots were useable.
2015-2-12
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
Flight distance : 729560 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A lot of the jello problems I had with my Phantom 2 and go pro set up were sorted by reducing the gain values for pitch and roll, and increasing them for yaw. I don't know if anyone has tried altering the Inspire gains yet. I am waiting for a while before attempting to tweak any gain settings. If and when I do it will be very gradual changes.
2015-2-12
Use props
primtom.gmail
lvl.1

Germany

Marktho1, did you find any solution? I have exactly the same now - flying forward gives extreme wobbling, backwards none. very weird.

thomas
2015-2-19
Use props
DJK
New
Flight distance : 44154 ft
United States

I would be curious as to the prop balance first, and then the prop weights. I have a post where a user reported measuring almost a half gram weight difference between props..
2015-2-19
Use props
Bkackman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3445020 ft
United States

This may not prove to be helpful, but I was trying to think what things would be different for the camera flying backwards. It occurred to me that the gimbal dampers would be loaded differently. Flying forward the aircraft is tilted down in front. Flying backward the aircraft is tilted down in back. This puts a slightly different moment on the dampers. It would be small, but the dampers would be slightly stiffer flying forward. Given the problem you are experiencing, I would recommend the softer dampers. Also, have you taken a look at the softer dampers just to make sure there's nothing unusual about any of them? Maybe by changing them back, you might fix something. Like you said, "it just changed", meaning nothing you could put your finger on changed.

One last thought. Have you calibrated the gimbal since this problem occurred?
2015-2-19
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Bkackman Posted at 2015-2-20 07:31
This may not prove to be helpful, but I was trying to think what things would be different for the c ...

Thanks, Yes I have swapped them out a couple of times. I have also calibrated the gimbal many times. I rotated the props several times as well.. I am waiting for some new props to come in so I can rule that soon.. the gimbal was almost perfect when I first got the inspire but now the roll is always off and I have to adjust it constantly during flight.. I just tried a flight in 1080 60fps and tho there is jello present at times it does not show it as much as when I film at 4k 30fps.. this is not a solution that is acceptable for me but at least I can get some footage in a pinch. Also when I tilt and pan the camera during flight I seem to get cleaner footage...
2015-2-19
Use props
Bkackman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3445020 ft
United States

Marktho1 Posted at 2015-2-20 08:25
Thanks, Yes I have swapped them out a couple of times. I have also calibrated the gimbal many time ...

I'm sorry my suggestions weren't any help. I can imagine how frustrated I would be, too. I'll keep watching with interest to see if your situation gets resolved or if I see an "aha" solution that I can provide. Hope you get it fixed soon and can really enjoy your machine!
2015-2-19
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Bkackman Posted at 2015-2-20 12:35
I'm sorry my suggestions weren't any help. I can imagine how frustrated I would be, too. I'll keep ...

Thank you for your input and suggestions. I am definitely going to buy another inspire so I can still fly while my other is in the shop. I do love flying the thing when it is in full working condition.
2015-2-19
Use props
JacksonLee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 195633 ft
United States

Hi Marktho1, my son just received his Inspire 2 and we went out for his first aerial filming with this drone this afternoon. Over all the filming was very successful but on one particular run we experienced the Jello/Wobble effect when going forward and descending at the same time.  At first we both thought it was coming from the live feed coming back to the IPad but once we got home we found out that the Jello/Wobble was actually in the video, bummer! My son and I have been all over the net trying to find a fix or similar issues and we found several instances but only one post that pointed us in the right direction. Please note the following as the reason this is happening....
If you check the play in your props you will notice that the White colored coded props are a fairly snug fit however they do have just a tiny bit of play in them (up & down), the red color coded props have much more play (up & down). Odd! I would have thought that both sets of props would have a very snug fit similar to that of the Phantom series when they are fully tightened but that is not the case. Try and feel how much loose the play is in the props when they are fully installed and you will see what I am saying to be true. This play causes a frequency wobble that somehow bypasses the gimble and goes directly into the camera. I am not sure of the physics behind why it is happening other than the fitting is looser than it should be but this is the cause!
DJI is aware of this problem and is saying to contact tech support and order new props that have a foam center that will act as a shock absorber. Hopefully this will fix the issue until DJI re-engineers the props to have a snugger fit. Hope this helps.

Cheers!
2017-11-27
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

Marktho1 Posted at 2015-2-12 15:22
For reference... here is the footage I walked away with on that day. All these shots were shot either flying left & right or backwards. none of the forward shots were useable.

when the problem appeared, were you in fpv, free, or follow gimbal mode? Looks to me like you have the same or close to the problem I had when I first started flying Inspire, make sure you are in free or follow to have full stabilization from the gimbal, I found out the hard way fpv disables stabilization. I too was fine when moving back or sideways but forward the gimbal feels any movement of the craft and doesn't compensate making for jumpy video, yours is much more extreme than mine was but its very reminiscent, maybe you changed the gimbal mode inadvertedly, it's not hard to do.
2017-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules