Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Litchi App Pros and Cons
4131 26 2016-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cdikland
lvl.4
Flight distance : 229911 ft
Canada

As forums tend to have more negative thread than positive (i.e. My signal sucks vs my signal is awesome) it often hard to get the full picture on any given topic. For example, I have been reading numerous threads about the litchi app and based on many comments I am reluctant to pull the trigger and purchase this app. Its not the money that scares me but rather comments such as "loss of signal", "app crashes","fly away", "RTH not set", etc...  

• How serious are these app issues raised here and other forums?
  • Would you rate the Litchi app as a secure piece of SW matching or surpassing th DJI-go app in as far as reliability goes?

I really like some of the functionality offered within this app but am afraid that if I use it I may regret it.

2016-10-16
Use props
cdikland
lvl.4
Canada

Really? No one using Litchi????
2016-10-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

cdikland Posted at 2016-10-17 13:08

I have been using litchi for 6 months, at first like yo I was a bit sceptical, but once I took the plunge no problem, I have never had a crashed screen or app ,one time lost signal while doing a mission aircraft just carried on and completed mission at first it was a bit scary, the app has improved a lot since I've started using it and I would have to give it a thumbs up.

I use it mostly for shooting panos 360x 180 and waypoint mission.
I also like the fact the it has voice to tell you how far you've gone how much battery left what your altitude is and what speed your travelling at, all in all it's definitely worth the money and I have found it very safe to use with p4
2016-10-17
Use props
wmcvey
First Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

cdikland Posted at 2016-10-17 08:08

WHAT, are you kidding !!! It's the most popular app pilots use with the Phantom after the GO app. Some would say it's better or at least they like it better than GO.
2016-10-17
Use props
wmcvey
First Officer
United States

A word to the OP, you will find that on this forum there's a group of people that talk down anything not DJI, like software or hardware mods. You will get a better reply, not like post #2 if you try at: http://www.phantompilots.com/
Also will add that I do use it for Waypoints and planning on VR flight with goggles real soon. So for VR you have to use something besides the Go app, and if you want to preplan a Waypoint mission, Litchi is the way to go.
2016-10-17
Use props
JWC P4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

I bought Litchi because of the two most useful functions for me: 1. The waypoints can be set beforehand (and it works very well) by using Google Earth and the Litchi Hub   2. The fact that Litchi provides the functionality of using VR goggles in a cheap but very effective way.  I have now flown a large number of flights and found myself using the DJI-Go app much less.  I have had no issues with Litchi so far.  My only concern is that when something may go wrong I'll not be having a foot to stand on as this is not within the DJI set of "rules" to use 3rd party software.
2016-10-20
Use props
Delta Nine
Second Officer
United Kingdom

https://www.facebook.com/groups/941966169197566/

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/vctechplus
2016-10-20
Use props
lilsou
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1398376 ft
United States

I bought it today, did my first mission. I didn't really watch any tutorials so everything was kind of self explantory once you get the hang of it.
Now, I am going to watch some tutorials because I don't like how the craft stops at each waypoint, therefore not a smooth video/flight pattern.

I like that you can fly a whole mission, like for instance, around your neighborhood where you easily lose signal. The drone will continue the mission even if you have no remote/video signal from controls. It's a bit scary, but it works.
2016-10-20
Use props
cdikland
lvl.4
Canada

lilsou Posted at 2016-10-20 20:26
I bought it today, did my first mission. I didn't really watch any tutorials so everything was kind  ...

Watch the tutorials. I bought the SW earlier this week, watched 3-4 YouTube videos then created my 1st mission. Not only did the mission run a smooth as butter, so did the resulting video.   Very happy so far
2016-10-21
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

CD,

I have a P2V+ and two P3Pro's. I use Litchi (pre-SDK 3, Android version) 99% of the time. I have also locked the firmware of my P3Pro's at v1.4. The only time I use a 2.4 version of DJI Go is when I need to change settings that aren't available in Litchi. I have installed the HDMI module in one of my RC's and use an Nvidia Shield tablet so I can use my Fatshark Dominator v3's and use either the Nvidia HDMI port for the "mirror" of Litchi or the HDMI port on my RC to view the DJI HUD screen in my goggles. I also use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 with Litchi.

I mainly use the waypoint and orbit functions in Litchi and the panorama's occasionally.I am not a professional and just love to fly. I've tried just about every app out there over the past few years and I wouldn't trade Litchi for any other app. I have had absolutely no issues with the version of Litchi that I run and have been using the Litchi app since it first came out of development. Any issues I have had have been "pilot" error only.

Jerry
2016-10-21
Use props
wmcvey
First Officer
United States

lilsou Posted at 2016-10-20 20:26
I bought it today, did my first mission. I didn't really watch any tutorials so everything was kind  ...

Shouldn't stop at each waypoint at all, unless you set it to do that. Look at: Waypoint Actions,
Actions are performed when the aircraft arrives at the waypoint. "Stay for: The time in seconds that the aircraft should pause at the waypoint. Maximum 32 seconds."
2016-10-23
Use props
gary05
lvl.1
Flight distance : 492392 ft

I've been using the Litchi app for about 3 months. i like the possibilities but it has some glitchy behavior. Be careful if you've loaded a saved mission and touch the screen for any reason. I accidentally inserted an extra way point and didn't notice it until my P4 started an uncommanded autoland 200 feet in a swamp while surveying some flood damage. The descent started over a tree. It took a couple of seconds to realize what was happening. By the time I attempted to cancel the mission and/or override the autonomous flight it was a few feet above a tree.

It did not accept any commands from the transmitter and obstacle avoidance was out the window. The Litchi app completed an automatic update just a day and a half earlier. I was not aware until after spending a day and a half in a snake and alligator infested swamp recovering the company drone. I''ve had some minor issues with it (Litchi) up till now but not sure if I can trust the app at this point. I'll be in touch with Litchi tomorrow to try and determine what went wrong. I only use the app for waypoint missions and love the preplanning feature. But again I have to weigh the risk of dropping a $1000 worth of hardware into a swamp vs the convenience and efficiency of the Litchi app.

There is probably a good reason why this feature isn't already part of the DJI Go app.
2016-10-23
Use props
quanthonytrang
First Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I use the GO-app to tweak settings and everything else with Litchi. If it could do IMUs then I would have ditched the GO-app long ago. The only thing it lacks is the flight video recording.
Ironically, the only thing I have not tried is mission planning. Its worth the money as it has improved my user experience.
2016-10-23
Use props
wmcvey
First Officer
United States

quanthonytrang Posted at 2016-10-23 22:10
I use the GO-app to tweak settings and everything else with Litchi. If it could do IMUs then I would ...

"The only thing it lacks is the flight video recording." ??
2016-10-23
Use props
quanthonytrang
First Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

wmcvey Posted at 2016-10-24 13:46
"The only thing it lacks is the flight video recording." ??

DJI GO app has the ability to record the live feed "flight video" in 720p.
2016-10-23
Use props
wmcvey
First Officer
United States

quanthonytrang Posted at 2016-10-24 00:09
DJI GO app has the ability to record the live feed "flight video" in 720p.

Never really checked into this, as I have disabled the option (video cache) in the Go app anyway. When your flying out any distance it gets choppy and as imperfection to be useful for anything but amusement. Since my tablet is middle of the road it also has the benefit of saving some processor power for the app itself.
2016-10-24
Use props
techmyjustin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 191896 ft
United States

I'm considering the Litchi app as well, could somebody share some video clips of rotating around an object with smooth turns and footage?  Much appreciated.
2016-10-24
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

techmyjustin Posted at 2016-10-24 13:09
I'm considering the Litchi app as well, could somebody share some video clips of rotating around an  ...

Tech,

I am purely a hobbyist so keep that in mind. This is a typical no-frills, Litchi orbit with no post-processing.

Jerry

2016-10-24
Use props
gary05
lvl.1
Flight distance : 492392 ft

I had an interesting FB Messaging communication with Litchi earlier today. I am trying to find a way to get the full transcript off of my FB Messages. Please be aware that certain DJI functions will not work when using the Litchi app. The liability risk is too great for us now. I love the app when it works correctly but there is an issue with their critical issue resolution. I was flying at 400 ft  while completing a damage survey following Hurricane Matthew. The P4 began an uncommanded descent into a tree. Obstacle avoidance was deactivated and all other controls including altitude and forward motion were unresponsive.

The drone remained in a tree overnight and was recovered the following day after falling in to the alligator and snake infested swamp. Litchi blames me and DJI and claims it's an isolated incident. I would advise you to do a brief internet search and decide for yourself how accurate that statement is. They eventually agreed to look at the flight logs if I sent them but after being so evasive at first, I thought it best to contact DJI for help and warn others of the issue including the FAA. (We should not be flying drones in civil airspace that don't respond to control inputs.)

Disappointing that the program has flaws, more disappointing the company wants to pretend they don't exist and blame it on the end user. I had more than 60% battery available. 4 minutes into a 6 minute flight.
2016-10-24
Use props
wmcvey
First Officer
United States

gary05 Posted at 2016-10-24 21:24
I had an interesting FB Messaging communication with Litchi earlier today. I am trying to find a way ...

It's always a bummer when you have a crash, but to be up front I've been on this and other Phantom forums for awhile and have read many posts and almost all are very positive about just how good the Litchi app is. As you may or may not know or want to admit that most all crashes are pilot error. And most posts and threads about crashes and fly-a-ways with Phantoms are simply pilots trying to put blame on someone other themselves for an error they made. Not saying this is the case here, but how would we know you just planned out your waypoint mission in error. Or if you had a battery issue, such as not starting out with a fully charged battery. Your post is missing the fine details of what lead up to the crash and what you did during the preflight checklist and planning.
2016-10-24
Use props
egargiulo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5000 ft
Italy

quanthonytrang Postato alle 2016/10/24 05:09
DJI GO app ha la possibilità di registrare il live feed "Video volo" in 720p.

I use Litchi app. Domanda: Posso rivedere al termine della missione del video girato con Litchi? Come?
2016-11-28
Use props
Woodwanger
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I have ordered the P4 pro + will I be able to use the litchi app with it?
2016-11-28
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Woodwanger Posted at 2016-11-28 11:54
I have ordered the P4 pro + will I be able to use the litchi app with it?

Evidently not until DJI provides a SDK kit to Litchi to use it with the P4 Pro, or Inspire 2 also.

Sounds like with the P4 Pro + with the attached screen, it won't use anything other than the DJI GO as it is a dedicated app built into the screen and no other apps will work within it.  Basically, a locked Android so no other apps will cause some conflict with running it.

Might be better to get the one without the screen if you want to use Litchi on a P4 Pro model.
2016-11-29
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2016-11-30 04:51
Evidently not until DJI provides a SDK kit to Litchi to use it with the P4 Pro, or Inspire 2 also. ...

Yeah, that's what VC Tech confirmed with me too. Otherwise, I read somewhere that the P4P+ controller allows another screen to be connected, but you can't have both going at the same time - which is logical. But we'll need someone to confirm once theirs arrives.
2016-11-29
Use props
fans8cf0d029
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124672 ft
United States

I spent $22 on a program for a $1,000 craft and love it!  I had constant problems with "green screen" and "lost connections" with DJI GO and so far with Litchi, none.  I love it.
Thanks,
WA5TEF
2016-12-4
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans8cf0d029 Posted at 2016-12-5 02:54
I spent $22 on a program for a $1,000 craft and love it!  I had constant problems with "green screen ...

Which is an interesting point - it you want to run Litchi on both Android and iOS platforms, you have to buy it twice (and iOS cost me $36 AUD and Android $16 AUD - go figure).

It was necessary for me, as I wanted a larger screen and I could buy an Android tablet for less than an iPad. But I still wanted to use my iPhone to use the VR mode in Litchi...
2016-12-4
Use props
SempMira
lvl.1

Colombia

Hi....  Can I do grid patterns on Litchi app?? for mapping for example
2018-2-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules