Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How to use offline google maps in Go App
14825 19 2016-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rbaaij
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73871 ft
United States

I have loaded several offline google maps of areas I want to visit in my Ipad. How can I select one of those google maps in the DJI Go App enabling me to see where the P4 is flying on the Ipad screen?

2016-10-16
Use props
Jack Fedele
lvl.3

United States

You can't, Google Maps on the DJI GO app is being streamed from a DJI satellite, not Google.
2016-10-16
Use props
rbaaij
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73871 ft
United States

Jack Fedele Posted at 2016-10-16 15:00
You can't, Google Maps on the DJI GO app is being streamed from a DJI satellite, not Google.

Thanks for your fast answer. Will continue to use Iphone wifi hotspot to download Google map
2016-10-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

When you want to Cache your flight area map, while in a wifi hotspot or home network, open the Go app, turn on Cache Maps in Background, and then go to map view.
Move the map to your predestined flight area, pinch squeeze it out to the largest view, then slide it around, extending beyond your planned flight route.
When you arrive at the area you wish to fly, open map view and it should be present.
Enjoy. . . ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-10-16
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Jack Fedele Posted at 2016-10-17 06:00

Sorry but there's nothing correct in that answer.
First, since the OP is using an apple device, it doesn't use Google Maps.
It's using the Apple equivalent.
Second, DJI don't have any satellites, DJI don't supply maps and maps don't come from satellites anyway.

To answer the original question ...
You are asking about caching maps (storing them in the memory of your iPad.
To do that, you need the Cache Maps in Background setting enabled in your app.
Then open the app somewhere you have wifi (no need to connect the Phantom).
Go to the camera view, click on the map window and find the area you are interested in.
Look around at the detail level you want.
That's it.
You have cached a map and it should be available when you want to go flying there.
2016-10-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-10-16 14:22
First, since the OP is using an apple device, it ...

I have had the experience where the cached maps weren't there after cache was done too. But that is a real rare occurrence. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-10-16
Use props
fans6d155419
New
Flight distance : 912566 ft
Australia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-10-16 12:22

The "Cache Maps in Background" setting does not exist on my dji go 4 app!, Does it auctually exist on anybodys?
2017-6-12
Use props
taurus35
First Officer
Flight distance : 136417 ft
United Kingdom

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-10-16 12:22

Not true....How does the Google Maps app work on an iOS device then? It certainly doesn't use Apple maps. DJI GO 4 on an iOS device does use Google maps, the same way that any third party app on an iOS device does if it wants to. Apple just restrict the native apps on iOS to using Apple maps.
You are correct in saying it isn't streamed from a DJI satellite They have enough trouble keeping their drones in the air from some of the reports on here how would they keep a satellite to stay in orbit
2017-6-12
Use props
taurus35
First Officer
Flight distance : 136417 ft
United Kingdom

fans6d155419 Posted at 2017-6-12 02:10
The "Cache Maps in Background" setting does not exist on my dji go 4 app!, Does it auctually exist on anybodys?

Yes, in General settings, hit the bottom icon (3 dots) & it's in there, above "Clear Flight Route". On iOS anyway.
2017-6-12
Use props
StevenLawyer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 752976 ft
United States

Not seeing a cache map setting in Android.  Am I missing something?
2017-7-9
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

StevenLawyer Posted at 2017-7-9 05:05

Just checked my Nexus 7 2013 I have as a 'spare', you are correct it seems to have disappeared from the menu.
2017-7-9
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Captain
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-9 10:40
Just checked my Nexus 7 2013 I have as a 'spare', you are correct it seems to have disappeared from the menu.

I have never used the cache maps function, but I did notice something I think is new, don't remember seeing it before in the section of the Go App from the drop down menu where the academy is and those ones there was a maps section with download maps and you could do it by state or country or whatever you choose to downloaded. I downloaded my state but have not yet tried to see how to use it.
2017-7-9
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 2017-7-9 10:49
I have never used the cache maps function, but I did notice something I think is new, don't remember seeing it before in the section of the Go App from the drop down menu where the academy is and those ones there was a maps section with download maps and you could do it by state or country or whatever you choose to downloaded. I downloaded my state but have not yet tried to see how to use it.

Good shout, just downloading as I type, standard rod map format with satellite detail where cached.
2017-7-9
Use props
dewein
Captain
Flight distance : 157746 ft
United States

fans6d155419 Posted at 2017-6-12 02:10

My DJIGO app doesn't have it either.
2017-8-1
Use props
dewein
Captain
Flight distance : 157746 ft
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-9 11:08
Good shout, just downloading as I type, standard rod map format with satellite detail where cached.

I looked there.  All I have is maps of China and searching provides no results
2017-8-1
Use props
Anonymous1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 602303 ft

Jamaica

Is there any way for me to have the DJI GO app use Google Maps instead of Mapbox?
My phone isn't updating anything even when I connect directly to regular WiFi
2018-8-27
Use props
Ray_Drone_Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 531640 ft
Singapore

Anonymous1 Posted at 2018-8-27 10:45
Is there any way for me to have the DJI GO app use Google Maps instead of Mapbox?
My phone isn't updating anything even when I connect directly to regular WiFi

I beleive you must have google mas on your phone. With my P4P+ it's not using google maps as well because I dont have Google Play and google maps on the integrated screen. I think this is the reason.
2018-8-27
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I thought they dont use google now, only Home maps, mmm, i just checked, using mapbox now lol, when did that happen, mapbox maps are older than home maps :/
2018-8-27
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

StevenLawyer Posted at 2017-7-9 05:05

With Android - it defaults to cache maps when you have map screen up and you scroll around.... while connected to WiFi

Nigel
2018-8-28
Use props
Anonymous1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 602303 ft

Jamaica

Ray_Drone_Pilot Posted at 2018-8-27 15:33
I beleive you must have google mas on your phone. With my P4P+ it's not using google maps as well because I dont have Google Play and google maps on the integrated screen. I think this is the reason.

My Android Samsung Galaxy Note8 running OREO, has Google Maps built in.  There doesn't seem to be an option to select this like the DJI GO App.
2018-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules