Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
TIPS: Be careful, read manual, and train first! And more...
12Next >
6188 69 2016-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kevinelliott
Second Officer
Flight distance : 354131 ft

Now I know this will be the largest selling drone yet. That means there's a lot of new people to the world of UAS/UAV. So many people will just run out and put their bird into the air carelessly, and I'd like to strongly encourage everyone to take their time and really get to know the procedure, where it's legal and safe to fly, and not try to do stupid things until they are experienced.

Here's some tips:

1. Read the damn manual.

I know it's easy to skim it and just power things up and run outside and fly. But you are really going to want to know how to handle emergencies. You will want to know how to trigger RTH manually, how to ensure GPS home point is correct, how to avoid obstacles, how to set minimum RTH height, how to bring the bird back before power runs out, how to avoid a CSC, etc. Trust me, once you get into a funky situation your first few times you are going to panic, and not knowing the details will just make it worse.

2. Do not fly over people.

I know it's tempting. Just don't do it. Maybe later once you have practice and everyone's permission. But don't do it now. You're going to feel really bad if you chop off someone's finger, or you hurt a little child when you were goofing off. Also, people don't want annoying buzzing quads flying over them. We like them, but so many people don't.

3. Don't piss off cops, rangers, or other security figures.

We want this hobby to last. You are investing a lot of money in this right? Don't piss people off or we will get even more serious laws put into place that will ruin it for all of us. I can't stress this enough. If you know the drone laws, good, reinforce them to the cop, but don't argue unnecessarily and don't piss them off. Be cool about it, and they will be cool back.

4. Don't intentionally fly near off limits monuments.

Places like the Golden Gate Bridge and the Statue of Liberty are off limits. In some cases DHS will get involved. If you get away with it but post video later, you might even get harassed by a government organization for doing it. Just check to be sure if you're allowed first.

5. Register with the FAA.

Do it now. You don't need your Mavic to register. Go and get it out of the way. Print it out and shove it in your wallet. Then print a label and put it on your Mavic when you get it.

You can register at the FAA's sUAS Registration Service.

6. Watch videos about Phantom, Inspire and Mavic camera optimization.

If you tune it right, you can make some professional looking videos.

I like to set the following:

Format mov
Color D-Log
Sharpness -2
Contrast -2
Saturation -1
FPS 30 or 60

Using these settings will absolutely require some adjustment during post-production (meaning, in your video editing software after you transfer the video files off your drone to your computer) because it will look flat and lifeless. This is intentional, as it reduces all of the unwanted onboard processing from the video so you can make it look the way you want it to look. More details, more highlights in the shadows, less clipping in white areas, etc.
Color grading is optional, and well beyond the scope for a newbie, but something to look into for next level video.

UPDATE: According to Bloom's video review of the Mavic Pro, the settings above (which work great for me on the Inspire) causes problems on the Mavic. The reason is that with the compression of 2.7k/4k is too strong (60mbit) and causes D-Log to really show artifacts. His recommendation was something along the following:

Format mov
Color D-Cinelike
Sharpness -1
Contrast -1
Saturation 0 or -1
FPS Highest

Color grading is optional, but highly recommended. Bloom uses FilmConvert -- but keep in mind that this is $200+.

7. Use DJI+ Discover app.

We all need to get social there so we can discover each other and great places to fly. It's fun to meet others in the hobby and go flying together. You learn a lot. Go register right now (I'm on there as this same username, come say hello).

8. Join or start a local user group.

There are Facebook groups for your region, and Meetup groups too. If not, make a new one. Spread the word about the hobby. (I made a Facebook group called California Drone Enthusiasts, but there are lots of other opportunities for other areas -- let me know if you find or create one).

9. Practice basic maneuvers.

Strafe side to side.
Fly a square.
Fly a circle while aiming at center.
Fly far away and come back with RTH.
Fly low to ground, safely (don't go too low! They naturally drift down and could crash!)

10. Do not fly low over water.

Don't do it. Don't even think about it. You need to get better at using and understanding your drone first.

You could confuse the sensors and the bird can splash down if you aren't careful. They drift down under certain movements, and if you are immediately over the ground or water, it might crash. Sometimes they lose height when hovering or making abrupt direction changes.

Once you understand the movement of these things well, then you can take on more risks.

11. Send me your first Mavic videos.

I'm compiling a "first users" video on YouTube and would love to see your first videos. Just something fun that shows some footage of where new Mavic fliers are flying. Send me a message and I'll give you a Dropbox path to upload your content -- you will be credited in the video too of course.

12. Never lose sight of it in the sky.

It's tempting to stay staring at the screen and never look up. But as good as the collision detection is, it's not perfect, and it doesn't see behind , up, down, or to the sides. Also, it's illegal in most places to lose line of sight. If you need to focus on footage, then have a buddy to be your spotter. This will keep your drone safe, reduce your stress and panic, and also keep things safe and legal.

13. Consider studying and getting licensed for FAA Part 107.

If you're in the USA or planning to come to the USA you might need to think about getting Part 107 licensed from the FAA. It's completely optional if you're a hobbyist, but I still recommend you look at the study materials.

Unless you were planning on flying your new drone for commercial purposes, chances are you never considered getting a Part 107 license. You have to be Part 107 licensed if you are flying your drone for a profit, such as real estate aerial cinematography.

Otherwise, you're a hobbyist, and all you need to do is register at the FAA sUAS Registration Service. But, I urge you to consider getting your Part 107 license, or at least studying for the Part 107 license test. The reason is you will become much, much more familiar with some concepts, such as:

• airspace designations (Class A, Class B, Class C, Class D, Class E) and what they each mean
  • airspace procedures (right of way, etc)
  • air traffic controller (ATC) details
  • weather and metar report analysis

You will feel more confident about what your legal rights are, more confident about protecting your rights when people try to tell you that you are not allowed to fly, and also feel more confident about having your bird in the air in general. I highly recommend this.

There are pay courses to really study for Part 107 with videos and documentation, but you can start for free right now using the FAA's free Remote Pilot – Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems Study Guide pdf.

14. Don't be Casey Neistat.

For those of you who don't know him, Casey Neitstat is an incredibly popular personality on YouTube. He posts a "vlog" (video log) almost daily, sharing his crazy life in NYC.

I like the guy. Maybe you do too. He's funky, hip, fun, obviously making great money, and everyone gives him toys (including DJI, who gave him a Mavic to test). His video has a signature editing style that others are starting to mimmic. But, he's careless. He's intentionally abusive to his toys (because they "get in the way of his creativity", which I can understand).

But more importantly, he's negligent and a terrible example for people in the UAV community. He loses line of sight (illegal in USA), he crashes every drone he's ever had, he doesn't read any manuals, and he's just overall incredibly careless. He literally lost the pre-production Mavic Pro that DJI sent him, permanently. The guy might kill someone's kid by accident one day.

This hobby needs everyone coming into it to be careful and thoughtful. There's a lot of people in the world who don't like these things. They want to shoot them out of the sky. And that's because a few bad apples are ruining it for everyone. You're investing a lot of time and money into this now, so don't you want to help promote the hobby in good light?

Just don't be Casey Neistat.

15. Do not fly in freezing temperatures.

The specifications for the Mavic Pro indicate that the aircraft, controller, and the camera are only rated down to 32 degrees farenheight (0 degrees celsius). The reason for this is that the components must not be exposed to frozen temperatures and will likely have issues as a result.

Also, batteries must be warmed (room temperature or slightly higher) before they are used in near freezing temperatures -- in otherwords, you should not have them out in the cold car or garage for more than a few minutes before flying them. They should be stored indoors and be warm just before flight. You risk power going out entirely if the batteries are too cold during flight. Do not fly more than a few minutes in near freezing temperatures. I don't have a specific number of minutes in mind, but keep in mind that you are risking the health of your Mavic Pro if you stay out too long.

The Inspire, a professional grade drone, is rated for temperatures lower than freezing and will have less issues in these environments.

There is so much more to say, but I'm sure you will learn a ton on your own. This is a great hobby, and you're going to have a lot of fun once you build confidence. If you have any specific questions, or additions to this little guide, send me a message. Good luck!

2016-10-17
Use props
SR-71Habu
lvl.1
Flight distance : 191125 ft
United States

Thanks for putting this together. Very good advice delivered with a friendly and constructive tone.
2016-10-17
Use props
Eldonbkh
Second Officer
United States

Great advice Thanks!
2016-10-17
Use props
msduncanrolltid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

Great tips!  Only one thing I disagree with:   you are unlikely to chop anyone's finger off with the stock plastic props.   Other than that -- all points are valid.
2016-10-17
Use props
Gmman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1003150 ft
United States

Kevinelliott can you post a link to your youtube videos please.
2016-10-17
Use props
kevinelliott
Second Officer

msduncanrolltid Posted at 2016-10-18 02:09
Great tips!  Only one thing I disagree with:   you are unlikely to chop anyone's finger off with th ...

A bit of an exaggeration, but they'll do some serious damage! The plastic isn't really the issue, it's the high RPMs and relative sharpness. You'll be bleeding for sure.
2016-10-17
Use props
kevinelliott
Second Officer

Gmman Posted at 2016-10-18 02:13
Kevinelliott can you post a link to your youtube videos please.

Hey Gmman. I don't really have most of my videos on YouTube. There's a few there, but I should really think about putting more up there.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Zanoryt
2016-10-17
Use props
70challenger
lvl.4
Canada

Thanks for posting this, it should be a sticky. I like the last point, 14. Don't be Casey Neistat. The guys a train wreck but makes interesting videos, thats why people watch.
2016-10-17
Use props
Gmman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1003150 ft
United States

70challenger Posted at 2016-10-17 12:54
Thanks for posting this, it should be a sticky. I like the last point, 14. Don't be Casey Neistat. { ...

I agree. He is enjoyable to watch but who wouldn't be if they had an endless supply of free gadgets and all the time in the world to do nothing but think of ways to use and abuse them.
2016-10-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Good tutorial and advice.
And remember, in the Academy section of the app is the full PDF manual (Mavic to be added soon) and a bunch of tutorial videos.
2016-10-17
Use props
kevinelliott
Second Officer

SR-71Habu Posted at 2016-10-18 01:33
Thanks for putting this together. Very good advice delivered with a friendly and constructive tone.

You're welcome
2016-10-18
Use props
kevinelliott
Second Officer

Thank you
2016-10-18
Use props
kevinelliott
Second Officer

70challenger Posted at 2016-10-18 02:54
Thanks for posting this, it should be a sticky. I like the last point, 14. Don't be Casey Neistat. { ...

Yeah, seriously, Casey Neistat really needs to wake up. Love the guy, but what in the heck is he thinking?
2016-10-18
Use props
kevinelliott
Second Officer

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-18 11:24
And remember, in the Academy section of the app is the full PDF manual (Ma ...

Thank you Ken, means a lot coming from you
2016-10-18
Use props
kevinelliott
Second Officer

Hey guys, I plan to keep updating this post over time (as I have already done in the last 2 days).
2016-10-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

kevinelliott Posted at 2016-10-19 04:34
Thank you Ken, means a lot coming from you

No, thank you for taking the time to post valuable information for users.
2016-10-18
Use props
WayneHuntley
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4823 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-17 21:24
And remember, in the Academy section of the app is the full PDF manual (Ma ...

Hello DJI-Ken,

Since i'll be waiting around for the Mavic like everyone else (you included). I would love to get my hands on a manual.  When will one be available and where do I watch for it?

This is my first drone and I don't want to mess up.....

Thank you!

Wayne
2016-10-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

WayneHuntley Posted at 2016-10-20 06:26
Hello DJI-Ken,

Since i'll be waiting around for the Mavic like everyone else (you included). I wo ...

Wayne, the manual should be coming online in your DJI GO app and on the Mavic webpage soon.
In the meantime, in the app you can scroll to the Phantom4 and read that manual as a lot of the Mavic features are also on the P4.
When you open the app, scroll to the Phantoms and use the drop down and select the P4. Then tap the upper right corner icon (graduation hat) and that will take you into the P4 section and the full manual is there.
The Mavic section of the app has some info in it and also has tutorial videos.
2016-10-19
Use props
WayneHuntley
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4823 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-19 16:38
Wayne, the manual should be coming online in your DJI GO app and on the Mavic webpage soon.
In the ...

Thank you! :-)  I took your advice on another thread and bought one of the $37 drones from Amazon and it just arrived today!  Practice practice practice!  Can't wait to use the follow me feature with Mavic when we mountain bike in Moab and play on the sand dunes with our Polaris RZRs :-)
2016-10-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

WayneHuntley Posted at 2016-10-20 06:46
Thank you! :-)  I took your advice on another thread and bought one of the $37 drones from Amazon  ...

That's great, I'm glad you bought a less expensive aircraft to learn on.
2016-10-19
Use props
kevinelliott
Second Officer

Updated the guide to have a few things.
2016-10-20
Use props
kevinelliott
Second Officer

Alright! Now that it's shipping, does anyone have any specific requests for tips/tricks/help/etc?
2016-10-21
Use props
Logger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

kevinelliott Posted at 2016-10-21 16:44
Alright! Now that it's shipping, does anyone have any specific requests for tips/tricks/help/etc?

Hi, with regard to practice and training for the initiated amongst us. Can anyone comment on the QuadcopterFX iPad  https://itunes.apple.com/app/qua ... or/id884782635?mt=8 app as an alternative to buying a second cheap Quadcopter.   I have been playing with it for a few hours and have found that, there is more to it, than I expected.    Whilst it uses virtual joysticks it would seem to me that it is of value for getting orientation and control sense worked out.  Is it a waste of time or is it worth practising with?
2016-10-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Many of you who ordered the Mavic this is your first multirotor, I cannot stress enough for you all to PLEASE read the entire manual cover to cover and fully understand the features, functions, and limitations before you fly for the first time.
2016-10-21
Use props
kevinelliott
Second Officer

Logger Posted at 2016-10-21 20:37
Hi, with regard to practice and training for the initiated amongst us. Can anyone comment on the Q ...

I can't comment on the QuadcopterFX. I've never used it.

I'll say this. Practicing with a cheap quad will make you really appreciate your DJI quad. DJI quads are essentially automatic. It hovers exactly in place. The cheaper quads do not do this very well.

But I think having some practice with anything before these is worthwhile.
2016-10-21
Use props
Travelling Dron
lvl.3

register with the FAA but whats the canadian version of this does anyone have a link where i can register it in canada?
2016-10-21
Use props
kevinelliott
Second Officer

Travelling Dron Posted at 2016-10-22 07:49
register with the FAA but whats the canadian version of this does anyone have a link where i can reg ...

I'm not hip with Canadian regulations, but this official site should be of help to you.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilav ... safely-legally.html
2016-10-21
Use props
Travelling Dron
lvl.3

kevinelliott Posted at 2016-10-22 07:52
I'm not hip with Canadian regulations, but this official site should be of help to you.

https://w ...

thank you! also is there any point in getting insurance for a drone?
2016-10-21
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

My advise is to read the manual, get FAA registration, fly in open spaces away from interference.  That means wifi, metal, high tension power lines, cell tower and microwave towers.  Do not take off from manhole covers.  Please.  When you get yours you will be prompted to do an update in the App.  If you are playing indoors, please take off the props.  Check YouTube you will see that happens when the motors arm and people panic.  It is not pretty.  The update is a simple process.  Have an internet connection, let the download complete and keep the RC, App and Mavic on during the process.  When it is completely power cycle all devices.  App, RC and Mavic.  Then start the RC, the App and the Mavic.  Make sure that you do an IMU calibration before your fly.  It is different if you are used to the Phantoms.  Pay attention to the App.  It will guide you through it.  There is a beginner mode.  Don't think that I can do this and I don't need no stinking beginner mode.  You do.  Set the max height to 120m, distance to 100m if you choose not to do beginner mode.  You can adjust them later.  Don't try to do a 7km flight out of the box.  You need to season your batteries.  Normally it is recommended that you do not fly below 50% for the first 10 cycles.  Then you can set the limits to 15 and 30%.  When you get to your flying site, do a compass calibration.  It is not hard and is available in the RC icon.  This is a fun sport and will provide not only a lot of fun but the ability to take great photos and videos.  Just be aware that you are flying.  Things can happen.  Follow the FAA guidelines.  If you have a AMA field in your area most of them are great partners to get experience from other multi rotor pilots.  We all started sometime and we all had mentors.  Find one even it is only online.
2016-10-21
Use props
CADDJockey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 163934 ft
United States

Travelling Dron Posted at 2016-10-21 20:12
thank you! also is there any point in getting insurance for a drone?

You mean the DJI Care Refresh, or is there some other insurance I'm not aware of?  With the rate I crash my little pocket nano drone, I was wondering the same thing.  Although I figure one crash, etc. and I'm out a good chunk of change with nothing to show for it.  DJI Care Refresh sounds like a relatively inexpensive way to protect my investment, even if I have to pay a small fee for each replacement.  Better than paying $999 again to get back up in the air.
BTW, great thread!  I was laughing when I read the "Don't be Casey Neistat" part.  It was his video that turned me onto the Mavic and now I'm obsessed with getting one.  Now, I've been watching and reading everything I can about it, and looking for as many tips as possible.  Just ordered a couple days ago - sigh - I guess it's going to be a loooonnng wait to get it.  Not so bad though - more practice time with the nano drone.
2016-10-21
Use props
baychilla
lvl.1

United States

Makes me wonder what Casey would do with a firearm getting in the way of his "creativity"   

To the OP: Where would one send you their first time videos?  You didn't provide a URL/email AFAICS.
2016-10-21
Use props
monce.harold
New

United States

CADDJockey Posted at 2016-10-21 20:17
You mean the DJI Care Refresh, or is there some other insurance I'm not aware of?  With the rate I ...

+1  Same exact thing that happen to me.  Got hooked when I came across Casey's clip about the Mavic, now reading the forum threads and just pre-ordered it.  

I'm going out tomorrow to get a mini drone so i can practice.  

@Kevinelliott - great thread!  very informative especially for newbs like me.  The Mavic will be my first expensive drone.  
2016-10-21
Use props
CADDJockey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 163934 ft
United States

monce.harold Posted at 2016-10-22 03:41
+1  Same exact thing that happen to me.  Got hooked when I came across Casey's clip about the Mavi ...

I've been playing with mini RC helicopters off and on for a while, then a mini quad.  I'm kind of a video shutterbug, so I was causally looking at the video quads for a while.  My interest turned up when the Karma came out, but shortly after that, I saw casey's review and it was instantly clear the Mavic is far superior.

So, now I'm practicing with the mini quad while I eagerly await the Mavic.  I will continue with the mini even after the Mavic arrives.  Oh man.... it's going to be a long wait.  Feell like a kid again {:4_142:}.
2016-10-22
Use props
Vl KV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 687362 ft
Russia

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-10-22 03:24
My advise is to read the manual, get FAA registration, fly in open spaces away from interference.  T ...

Hello Ed! What did you mean "You need to season your batteries.  Normally it is recommended that you do not fly below 50% for the first 10 cycles.  Then you can set the limits to 15 and 30%."  

It means that even if i have experience with phantom 3 fly, i need to run battery not lower 50 percenten for first 10 cycles to keep bettery life longer and kinda boost capacity ? Right  ?
2016-10-24
Use props
Crusader 901
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks for the good tips, i'm new to drones but can't wait to go and practice with the Mavic!
2016-10-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Here are some other great tips from user Mad_angler:

As we are heading towards some of initial orders landing with folks I have put together some tips for people for when you receive you new craft , upon receiving your Mavic you want to do number of things before you fly to ensure you get the best experience.

Important Note: Before turning on the aircraft always make sure you have removed the gimbal clamp and it's free to move around unobstructed.

1: Firmware and App

Download the latest version of DJI Go to your smart device, you need DJI Go V3.0 onwards to support the Mavic.

The Mavic will be shipped with firmware already installed but this may not be the latest, Its highly recomended that you update your craft before you fly, read the DJI update release notes and understand what the update should do and how to perform it before starting.

If you have additional batteries you may need to update these as well before you fly, to do this just turn the craft on with each battery in and it will go through the update process again for that battery if required.

2: IMU Calibration

Once you have updated you need to perform an IMU calibration, there is a whole new process for the IMU calibration on the Mavic compared to the previous DJI models. This is now done by rotating the aircraft through 5 axis, I would still advice doing this on a level surface, also try to do this when the aircraft has been turned off for a period of time and is cool, alternatively letting it chill on the patio for 20 minutes in the evening will be enough before you calibrate, DJI have released a video showing how to perform this, Again this is listed on my blog above.

3: Gimbal Calibration Once that's done perform a gimbal calibration on the same level surface.

4: Remote Controller Calibration Set your desired stick mode and calibrate the remote controller sticks and buttons to make sure they perform as they should and endpoint as set.

5: Vision System - Object Avoidance & VPS The Vision systems come pre calibrated from the factory, however if you get an error you can perform a quick calibration in the field but its recommended to perform a full vision system calibration via the DJI Assistant 2 Application.

First flight.

1: Read all the DJI Mavic manuals a few times as there is a huge amount of info in them and its easy to miss something important, I actually advise printing the manual out as you need to fully understand the flight modes and how the craft behaves in RTH especially with object avoidance, this can make the difference a safe return or a lost craft should the unforeseen happen and you run into trouble.

2: You need to calibrate the compass before your first flight, make sure you do this in a wide open space well away from anything that may contain metal such as reinforced concrete, also make sure there is no metal on your person, Apple Watch and other personal smart devices can have a massive affect on the crafts compass so when you calibrate or handle the craft keep these devices well away.

You do not need to calibrate the compass before every flight, once a successful calibration is done you only need to calibrate again if you travel over 100+ miles or the app prompts you, more on this below. After calibrating the compass I would advise to check the RTH height setting in the go app, make sure its set heigh enough to clear any building or trees, while object avoidance its active in RTH in P-GPS do not rely on this and always set RTH heights accordingly.

Errors

Understand what the aircraft is telling you and NEVER ignore any errors, IMU, compass or battery errors can be serious, if it happens on the ground before you take off stop, reboot everything and try again, If you receive a compass error at a new location that's not that far <50 miles from the last location you calibrated it make sure the area is clear of metal, underground structures or cables, if your taking off from concrete it's possible it's reinforced and this is interfering with the compass, try moving to an new location +40m away and try again before you recalibrate.

Compass errors specifically - Apple Watch and other personal smart devices can have a massive affect on the crafts compass so when you calibrate or handle the craft keep these well away and off your person.

Take it Slow

Take it easy for your first few flights until you understand what the craft is doing and how it behaves vs how you expect it to behave as these can be very different, avoid flying over water or tight spaces and give your self plenty of open space to check the craft is working correctly and you understand its controls and the onscreen data.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Object Avoidance and VPS are not active in Sport Mode and as such make sure you set RTH height accordingly to avoid any building or trees, your aircraft will not stop or avoid objects in Sport mode.

IMPORTANT NOTE 2: CSC has changed compared to the Phantom 3 and Inspire 1 so familiarised your self with this new method.

Battery

The DJI smart battery contains builtin charge and balancing circuit, it is also capable of self discharging if left fully charge for a period of time, this takes the pack to below 65% and It can be set in DJI Go to start between 1 and 10 days after fully charging, Setting this to 3 days is a good mid point use.

Take it easy on any brand new batteries, they can take a number of cycles to realise full capacity and flight time and try not to fully discharge a new pack for the first few cycles, ideally don't discharge a new pack below 50% for the first 10 cycles.

Try not to fly a partly charged pack and only take off with a fully charged battery when ever you can, if you stop flying do not use the pack again for another flight, further to this only fly a fresh fully charged battery so fly with in 24 hours of charging the battery, if the battery has been sitting for over 24 hours discharge it to below 90% then charge it fully before you fly.

In closer weather keep a charged battery warm before flight, cold weather can have an averse affect on the battery and its performance so try to keep the pack warm between charging and getting to the fly site, battery temp should ideally be between 20-30c for take off,you may not be able to arm the motors if its below 15c, if between 15-20c take off and just hover for a bit for the pack temperature to rise above 20c, this can be checked in the battery information scree in DJI Go.

2016-10-24
Use props
Virgil Cameron
Captain
Flight distance : 22320 ft
Netherlands

chop of someones finger? really?
2016-10-24
Use props
BaseOutdoorsNZ
lvl.1

New Zealand

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-25 06:11
Here are some other great tips from user Mad_angler:

As we are heading towards some of initial orde ...

Great information thanks, regarding the battery usage after charging. I am going on a 4 day hike in Jan with no power source during this time, I will take three batteries and will charge these right before we leave on day one. Am I going to be able to fly the mavic on day three and four or would this damage the batteries or potentially risk downing the craft?
2016-10-24
Use props
gary97
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178776 ft
United States

Perhaps Casey Neistat got confused by the syntax in Kevin's post: "... and not try to do stupid things until they are experienced."  I'm not familiar with Casey's work, but it sounds from the posts that he's "experienced!"  :-)

Seriously, my thanks to KevinElliott and to DJI-Ken for helping to prep this newbie, too.  I did a lot of research before plunking down some serious coin to pre-order the Mavic Pro Fly More Combo.  As are many others, I'm disappointed by the shipping delay (more so by DJI charging the credit card before it's ready to be shipped), but no matter how bad something is, there's always some good to be gleaned from it.

In this case, being able to use the waiting time to read and absorb the additional information that Kevin and Ken have offered here, as well as the manuals that I have already downloaded to the app.  And, I have so far watched about a dozen tutorials and reviews.

My problem now is that, as with opening the refrigerator door several times a night expecting there to suddenly be something good to eat, checking the shipping status of my order 6-8 times per day doesn't seem to be making a difference!

A question re batteries: Given that I am particularly cautious about all the fancy batteries available (Samsung Galaxy 7 hasn't helped), can anyone recommend how best to safely store them at home.  I'm not referring to temperatures, right after use when still warm, etc., all as covered in the manual.  Rather, are there any good fire retardant boxes in which to store them, do they need to be able to "breath" or are closed containers okay especially with respect to self-discharging, and so forth?
2016-10-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

BaseOutdoorsNZ Posted at 2016-10-25 04:06
Great information thanks, regarding the battery usage after charging. I am going on a 4 day hike i ...

Not at all, the discharge time is user selectable from 1-10 days.
2016-10-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules