Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Iphone 6s died mid flight
2694 23 2016-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Recplayer
New
Flight distance : 515276 ft
United Kingdom

Hi All, This probably is a mobile phone issue but i was wondering if it happened to anyone else.
Im a new flyer and this morning i few my phantom 3 standard using the DJI go app on an iphone 6s. My mobile battery was at 65% when i started flying but a few minutes into the flight my phone just died. i got it powered up but it died a few seconds later. My drone crashed (cos in between the 2 phone power downs id pressed the auto home land) and it looks like the camera is busted but when i finally got home and looked at my phone it was on again at 40% power. Anyone else have this happen??

2016-10-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry for your crash.
I think there's something wrong with your mobile.
Also I'd suggest you to send it in for further evaluation.
You could get in touch with tech support via support.eu@dji.com.
After you receive the repaired drone,please make sure everything works properly before flying.
2016-10-18
Use props
Recplayer
New
Flight distance : 515276 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks for the reply, I've seen a lot of people having issues with the new dji go app update, maybe that's something to do with my phone shitting down. Hard to know
2016-10-18
Use props
fans1fa18113
New

United States

That happened to me last weekend-I have the iPhone 6 Plus and my drone was a good distance away and my phone just shut down-roughly the same power 55% phone battery. Fortunately, when I hit the return home, it came back and landed safely. I don't know what the issue is, I just went and purchased a mini iPad with MINIMAL apps loaded on it...
2016-12-9
Use props
PaulSouthport
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

Go to the Apple site https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/ here and enter your phones serial number, they are replacing batteries on the 6S for some phones, FOC.

My iPhone 6 does the same, worse in cold weather, but Apple are not yet covering the 6.
2016-12-9
Use props
bluemarley67
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1242638 ft
United States

i had it happen twice i too have 6s but i think mine was due to cold weather personally i dont think it was anything to do with the drone controller or app in my case also when it died i had no issues with the flight itself
2016-12-9
Use props
Kenwae
lvl.3
United States

I had a kind of similar situation. Using an ipad mini 2, the P3 was out about 2000 feet, up at just below 400 feet, and the ipad shut off. That was my fault because I had failed to charge it up fully that morning. So, I can't see anything, have no access to anything, and, of course, freak out. Then, I realized when the battery gets low enough, it will head home. Fortunately, though, I didn't have to wait because I had my Galaxy S7, which I have used. I opened up the djigo app on the phone, and it connected, and I brought the drone home. Moral of the story, if at all possible have two screens available, such as an ipad, and a phone, just in case one goes dead.....
2016-12-9
Use props
fansa388fc8e
Flight distance : 160614 ft
Canada

My iPhone 5s shut down while in flight (I'm pretty sure it was due to cold). Luckily I fly line of sight., so bringing it back was not an issue.

What was the temperature when your phone shut down?
2016-12-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Kenwae Posted at 2016-12-10 07:21
I had a kind of similar situation. Using an ipad mini 2, the P3 was out about 2000 feet, up at just below 400 feet, and the ipad shut off. That was my fault because I had failed to charge it up fully that morning. So, I can't see anything, have no access to anything, and, of course, freak out. Then, I realized when the battery gets low enough, it will head home. Fortunately, though, I didn't have to wait because I had my Galaxy S7, which I have used. I opened up the djigo app on the phone, and it connected, and I brought the drone home. Moral of the story, if at all possible have two screens available, such as an ipad, and a phone, just in case one goes dead.....

'Moral of the story, if at all possible have two screens available, such as an ipad, and a phone, just in case one goes dead.....'

Moral of the story, the phone or tablet is not essential to flying the aircraft. You can always control the most importants parts of the flight using the RC unit on its own.
2016-12-9
Use props
Kenwae
lvl.3
United States

"You can always control the most important parts of the flight using the RC unit on its own."

Perhaps you can elaborate on this. The P3 Standard does not have a return to home button on the controller. The bird is out of sight. Don't know what position it's in, which way the camera is pointing. No location visible. No map visible. No compass heading visible. Turning the stick right could take the bird left. Going backwards could take it forwards......
2016-12-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Kenwae Posted at 2016-12-10 15:40
"You can always control the most important parts of the flight using the RC unit on its own."

Perhaps you can elaborate on this. The P3 Standard does not have a return to home button on the controller. The bird is out of sight. Don't know what position it's in, which way the camera is pointing. No location visible. No map visible. No compass heading visible. Turning the stick right could take the bird left. Going backwards could take it forwards......

Well you are flying it at a distance where you can clearly see the aircraft, as per the FAA regulations, are you not? In which case you can see which way it is heading to come home.
2016-12-9
Use props
Bay Cruiser
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2039288 ft
Australia

I thought the standard 3 does have a return to home on the controller. Don't you flick S1 two or three times to activate RTH ?
2016-12-9
Use props
Kenwae
lvl.3
United States

No, actually I cannot see it; but, it is within range of sight. I'm sure you've had this experience. It's out there, you know it's within line of sight, you saw it just a bit ago, a little dot out there in the sky; but, if you turn away, and then try to see it again, you can't find it....And then the ipad goes dead.....That's what happened......

It's an oddity, is it not, that we are under these line of sight regulations, and, if I am not mistaken, all of the dji drones, even the standard, can easily go far enough to be out of sight; it's going to happen. Why else have a return home function? I suspect the Mavic is going to be even harder to keep in sight, being smaller, and gray, and designed to go quite a distance. If we could see it all the time, we'd just bring it home. We may not want or intend for it to go out of visible range, but it's good to be prepared should that happen, and it will....

My bet would be that most drone flyers here have had theirs out of line of sight at some time, if not often....Have you ever?

2016-12-9
Use props
Kenwae
lvl.3
United States

Bay Cruiser Posted at 2016-12-9 19:38
I thought the standard 3 does have a return to home on the controller. Don't you flick S1 two or three times to activate RTH ?

Yes, I believe that is correct; I had forgotten about that! Good to know.....

confirmed:
"The S2 switch can be used to trigger  Return to Home. When flying, simply toggle this switch up and down  several times to tell your Phantom 3 Standard to return to the Home Point and land."
2016-12-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Kenwae Posted at 2016-12-10 16:46
No, actually I cannot see it; but, it is within range of sight. I'm sure you've had this experience. It's out there, you know it's within line of sight, you saw it just a bit ago, a little dot out there in the sky; but, if you turn away, and then try to see it again, you can't find it....And then the ipad goes dead.....That's what happened......

It's an oddity, is it not, that we are under these line of sight regulations, and, if I am not mistaken, all of the dji drones, even the standard, can easily go far enough to be out of sight; it's going to happen. Why else have a return home function? I suspect the Mavic is going to be even harder to keep in sight, being smaller, and gray, and designed to go quite a distance. If we could see it all the time, we'd just bring it home. We may not want or intend for it to go out of visible range, but it's good to be prepared should that happen, and it will....

Nope, I always fly my aircraft within visual range, so I always know where it is if I have to bring it home.
2016-12-9
Use props
Kenwae
lvl.3
United States

Line of site is certainly less prone to anxieties, and safer, not to mention within regulations. Still, you have to admit, they are designed to go far away from visible sight!
2016-12-9
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Russia

Isn't there some rule with you US guys about a spotter in some situations ?

Back to batterys .... lets be honest - Smartphones and Tablets are renowned for chewing up batterys. Especially when you activate communications functions like WiFi etc. And the iPhone has one of the worst reputations in this respect !!

nigel
2016-12-9
Use props
Krankie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can't use my iPhone for the P4Pro because of the exact issue (luckily didn't crash).  Seems my iPhone shuts down after just a minute or two
2016-12-9
Use props
Krankie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

Actually yeah, I have the same exact phone too
2016-12-9
Use props
Bay Cruiser
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2039288 ft
Australia

PaulSouthport Posted at 2016-12-10 04:43
Go to the Apple site https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/ here and enter your phones serial number, they are replacing batteries on the 6S for some phones, FOC.

My iPhone 6 does the same, worse in cold weather, but Apple are not yet covering the 6.

Well I have just check our two phones here in Oz and sure enough they have this problem and I am still on the phone to apple 1.0 hours later trying to get them repaired or swapped out. Bit frightening knowing that they could die when up in the air...... mine has been ok but my wife has died twice this week with over 30% battery life. If you didn't write this post I would never have known.
2016-12-9
Use props
user8bfaec4225
lvl.1
Flight distance : 206030 ft
United States

Most likely you IPhone is older. I have a IPhone 5s and it is 5 years old. Today my IPhone last about 40 min unless I am using it to text or FB and such. Then it just dies. I plug it in and Boom, I'm 60% and charging. So, your issue is most likely an old phone. Not your drone.
2016-12-10
Use props
thefool
New

Germany

Hey - I also had an issue today with my iPhone 6s and my brand new Mavic. I was out on my first flight today, and as I was preparing to fly, my phone died. It was at 46%. I was able to turn it on again a couple of times, but it kept powering off after a few seconds of being on. Killing the DJI Go app did not help (my first thought was that this app was crashing the phone).

I was able to fly without my phone, but because I didn't have live-view, I forgot to focus and only got blurry footage... oh well.

Now I know there's an iPhone6s battery replacement program by apple, and my serial number is part of the affected batch. However this is the first time ever this kind of thing happened to me - my phone always goes down to 0% without suddenly dying. So today, while connected to the Mavic Controller, running the DJI Go app, was the very first time it has ever died on me without reaching 0%.
The only other factor that was different to normal, was that I was using the phone out in the cold for a bit longer, but then again, not that much longer than normal, and it wasn't even cold enough for me to need to wear my gloves...

So maybe there is an issue with the iPhone 6s specifically?

Does the Mavic controller have the option to charge the iPhone? or the other way round: can the iPhone power the controller?
2016-12-27
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

thefool Posted at 2016-12-27 18:40
Hey - I also had an issue today with my iPhone 6s and my brand new Mavic. I was out on my first flight today, and as I was preparing to fly, my phone died. It was at 46%. I was able to turn it on again a couple of times, but it kept powering off after a few seconds of being on. Killing the DJI Go app did not help (my first thought was that this app was crashing the phone).

I was able to fly without my phone, but because I didn't have live-view, I forgot to focus and only got blurry footage... oh well.

If your phone is on the battery replacement list then get it replaced, that will likely be the problem with the fairly high demands of the DJI Go App' running.
The issue with the iPhone 6s in your case seems to be the battery. The cold may not have helped.
I have not had any issues using my 6s plus.
The controller does not charge the phone nor vice versa.
2016-12-27
Use props
bluemarley67
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1242638 ft
United States

had that happen on my old phantom 3 standard just out of curiosity does your compass work like it should?
2016-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules