Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Handwheel to focus Inspire pro camera.
4538 29 2016-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fh1thd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 92297 ft
Netherlands

Hi, can I use the DJI Osmo Handwheel (Part 76) to focus the inspire pro camera?

with best regards,

Freddie

2016-10-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Freddie, the Osmo Handwheel cannot be used on the Inspire.
2016-10-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

As Mindy said, you can not use the OSMO handwheel with the Inspire, but you can use the normal Follow Focus with both the Inspire and the OSMO.
2016-10-20
Use props
fh1thd
lvl.3
Netherlands

Thanks for you response.
Too bad it would be a nice affordable solution.

2016-10-22
Use props
AEROKAMERA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2289429 ft
  • >>>
Poland

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-10-20 21:09
As Mindy said, you can not use the OSMO handwheel with the Inspire, but you can use the normal Follo ...

Are the I2 focus handweel and  Osmo focus the same or can I use it with I1Pro?
2016-11-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

AEROKAMERA Posted at 2016-11-20 01:44
Are the I2 focus handweel and  Osmo focus the same or can I use it with I1Pro?

The hand wheel can be used between the I2 (with adaptor cable)  and the OSMO, but it still will not work for the Inspire 1. The regular DJI Focus Remote can be used between all 3 platforms.
2016-11-19
Use props
AEROKAMERA
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-11-20 00:08
The hand wheel can be used between the I2 (with adaptor cable)  and the OSMO, but it still will no ...

Any chance to have handweel focus to work with I1Pro? I prefere to mount it on my RC. So I would buy second RC and Osmo
2016-11-20
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

AEROKAMERA Posted at 2016-11-20 16:02
Any chance to have handweel focus to work with I1Pro? I prefere to mount it on my RC. So I would bu ...

Unfortunately the handwheel is not compatible with the Inspire 1 RCs, as it does not have the cabling needed to connect. The Follow Focus remote is the only accessory that is compatible across all platforms.
2016-11-29
Use props
AEROKAMERA
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-11-29 18:30
Unfortunately the handwheel is not compatible with the Inspire 1 RCs, as it does not have the cabl ...

Is a cable a problem only? Follow Focus doesn't fit my expectations, I'd rather buy third party FF

2016-11-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

AEROKAMERA Posted at 2016-11-30 02:26
Is a cable a problem only? Follow Focus doesn't fit my expectations, I'd rather buy third party FF

At this time, yes that is what is causing the compatibility issue. I do not know whether an adaptor cabe is in the works, but I can check.
2016-11-29
Use props
fansd706ca75
lvl.3
Netherlands

Come on DJI, give us the cable
2016-12-2
Use props
fansd706ca75
lvl.3
Netherlands

http://store.dji.com/product/han ... d-inspire-2rc-cable

This cable is not suitable?
2016-12-3
Use props
dopey-tree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

To be honest though do you need a focus wheel when flying in the air? Focus pulling is usually more for going from close focus to far etc. Just from personal use the drone is normally say minimum 2 meters away form something, I only ever use the focus wheel on the OSMO rather than the inspire. But I'm sure it could be done in the air. Maybe a really quick cool shot from close up to really high really quickly? But again you could just use a high aperture like f14 etc.
2016-12-3
Use props
Skyclip
lvl.4
Flight distance : 347940 ft
  • >>>
Germany

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-11-29 11:05
At this time, yes that is what is causing the compatibility issue. I do not know whether an adaptor cabe is in the works, but I can check.

Hi Jamie!

Im also interested in that Solution. If it´s only the Cable, does that one fit:
http://store.dji.com/product/han ... d-inspire-2rc-cable

Please keep us up with some news!
2017-1-14
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Skyclip Posted at 2017-1-14 09:19
Hi Jamie!

Im also interested in that Solution. If it´s only the Cable, does that one fit:

The CAN connection for the Inspire 2 is shaped slightly differently from the Inspire 1. It would not fit properly.
2017-1-17
Use props
Skyclip
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-11-29 11:05

Hey Jamie!

Did you check, if an adaptor Cable will become available?

Thanks for your help!
2017-1-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Skyclip Posted at 2017-1-25 08:37
Hey Jamie!

Did you check, if an adaptor Cable will become available?

I haven't received an update on the inquiry. I can check again, though there will be a delay due to the Chinese New Year holiday.
2017-1-25
Use props
Skyclip
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-25 11:49
I haven't received an update on the inquiry. I can check again, though there will be a delay due to the Chinese New Year holiday.

OK, would be nice if you keep us updated.
Thanks for the effort. :-)
2017-1-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Skyclip Posted at 2017-1-25 23:35
OK, would be nice if you keep us updated.
Thanks for the effort. :-)

I'll let you know what I find out.
2017-1-26
Use props
nobbe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 448573 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hi everybody!

I had a closer look at the cable issue and found out that the "old" plug of the NAZA GPS will perfectly fit the CAN Bus port on the Inspire 1 remote. Just have a look at the pictures attached.

So theoretically one could make up a cable by taking a regular focus handwheel can bus cable and just ripping of the plug at one end. Then connect the old GPS plug to the free cable end and try it out!
However I have no pinout on either connection. So if anyone could come up with a pinout I would make a test cable and post the results!

strange... picture won't work - so here is the direct link to flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/no ... /dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/no ... /dateposted-public/
2017-2-13
Use props
nobbe
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

... This plug could also work for Inspire 1 CAN bus port on remote - of course one has to remove the locking clamp...

https://www.reichelt.de/Molex-Vi ... 185729&GROUPID=7981
2017-2-13
Use props
Skyclip
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

nobbe Posted at 2017-2-13 03:31
... This plug could also work for Inspire 1 CAN bus port on remote - of course one has to remove the locking clamp...

https://www.reichelt.de/Molex-Vi ... 185729&GROUPID=7981

Hi Nobbe!

Gruss aus Frankfurt ;-)

As Jamie didnt reply to my PM or reply here in the Thread i did my own research with some help from RcGroups.com guys.

Sure, the needed Cable and Plugs are available. The Main Problem could be the following:

I probed the Pins.
PinOut of the Inspire Remote should be(seen from front, left to right):
GND, Can-H,Can-L, Nothing.

At "Nothing" there should be at least the CanBus Voltage of 5.5Volt. But there is nothing.
Reasons could be : Disabled in Firmware or simple Missing Hardware inside the Remote.

In the Manual of the Handwheel is stated that 12Volt is the operating Voltage of the Handwheel.
The only suitable Voltage coming out of the Osmo X5R to Handwheel Connector i could find was 7Volt.
Could be, that Handwheel has some Tolerance of supply Voltage to work.

Would be Interesting if someone could  Probe the CanBus Out of the Inspire 2 Remote, to see the difference or what supply Voltage is provided.

At the Moment i dont have the Time to do more Testing. In the End its a very vague thing to do with no help from DJI.
2017-2-14
Use props
nobbe
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

Skyclip Posted at 2017-2-14 08:13
Hi Nobbe!

Gruss aus Frankfurt ;-)

Ha! Gruß zurück aus Stuttgart   

O.K. - Thanks for the info!

Like you I also just hoped that DJI would come up with some help on a rough pinout description - however no reply since now.

As far as I know the DJI Focus (I'm referring to the hand unit of this remote follow focus system - not the Focus Wheel) hand unit comes with its own built in power supply and this hand unit "officially" works with OSMO pro AND Inspire pro/RAW. So the reason why the DJI Focus hand unit works could be that the missing CanBus Voltage is supplied by the hand unit itself?

So if someone out there has a DJI Focus a pinout reading would be interesting especially the CanBus Voltage pin...
2017-2-20
Use props
Skyclip
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

After a lot of research, i finally got the Handwheel working with the Inspire 1.
Im still in testing, i will soon publish my knowledge to the people who would also like to use the Handwheel with their Inspire 1.

IMG_0023.jpg
IMG_5139.jpg
2017-4-9
Use props
DarrenE
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Awesome work Skyclip. Congratulations on the result and well done for persevering with it. If the wheel can be mounted on a printed bracket or something, that could be pretty handy.

I guess the question will be, how usable it is in operation. That question seems to be one that's already raised it's head on the I2 - http://forum.dji.com/thread-91630-1-1.html
It would be very interesting to hear your opinion on it too. When I was mulling over the idea of a focus wheel for the Inspire, having seen one in use, I ended up thinking the programmable buttons on the more expensive unit were what gave it the most versatility but couldn't justify the price based on that.
2017-4-9
Use props
Skyclip
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

DarrenE Posted at 2017-4-9 12:42
Awesome work Skyclip. Congratulations on the result and well done for persevering with it. If the wheel can be mounted on a printed bracket or something, that could be pretty handy.

I guess the question will be, how usable it is in operation. That question seems to be one that's already raised it's head on the I2 - http://forum.dji.com/thread-91630-1-1.html

Hi Darren,

mostly, it will make the work of my Camera Operator a lot easier. We are using the Hoodman, and even you can access the touch screen with the hoodman its a lot easier to keep the camera focused on the Object, if you can pull the Focus with a Handwheel at large apertures.
In the end its a lot smoother with the Handwheel, imagine the object getting slightly out of focus, with the Go App and Touchscreen you will see the refocus in most cases. With the handwheel you are more likely to correct the focus "softly".
That are the most important points for me, lets see what creativity on Set will bring additionally. ;-)

For the mount, i may go with the DJI Solution, even if its expensive. Seems very solid and you can mount the Remote on a Tripod.
2017-4-9
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm really interested in this solution as I have just bought a new Osmo Pro, and have an Inspire 1 on its way from an eBay auction, being able to use the focus wheel on both platforms would be amazing.
2017-4-10
Use props
Skyclip
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Published it on Inspirepilots.
Here you go : http://www.inspirepilots.com/thr ... pire-1-howto.16084/
2017-4-11
Use props
Advocate