Osmo Pro needs Continuous Autofocus (AF)
2951 14 2016-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kellex
New
United States

As a handheld, where you would often shoot moving objects up close that could move closer to or away from the camera, it's inexcusable that there is no continuous autofocus (AF) on the X5 and the Osmo Pro. Requiring a tap to re-focus is not a good enough solution, nor is using a software spin wheel to manually do it.

DJI seems to suggest here and there throughout these forums that C-AF is coming, but for what I need this rig for, I can't even use it without it. I needed C-AF yesterday. Specs pages don't mention it, of course, but the fancy demo video of the camera in action sure looks like it has it. How else would they be able to shoot all of those moving shots in the boxing scene without C-AF?

Any update? This could be the perfect handheld, but it's so limiting with proper C-AF.
2016-10-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Kellex,I'd suggest you to use the Osmo Pro/RAW - DJI Focus Handwheel.
Here is the link for your reference.
http://store.dji.com/product/osm ... ndwheel?from=search
2016-10-18
Use props
kellex
New
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-10-18 23:03
Here is the link for your r ...

That's not at all an appropriate solution. A handwheel requires a hand to constantly adjust focus. Most modern cameras are capable of continuous autofocus. Why won't you update the X5 to do this?
2016-10-27
Use props
Troubleshooter
lvl.3
  • >>>

my osmo pro comes tomorrow, hopefully there is a work around  but just out of curiosity why isnt there continuous focus with this @dji mindy
2016-10-28
Use props
valealvarez.s96
lvl.3
Argentina

Troubleshooter Posted at 2016-10-28 06:32
my osmo pro comes tomorrow, hopefully there is a work around  but just out of curiosity why isnt the ...

Why autofocus? Unless you have like a dual pixel technology it will be hunting for focus all time, not a professional look at all i guess
2016-10-28
Use props
fansc5384ea7
New
United States

Bump. Because this feature would help this camera become my go-to and right now, it's almost impossible to use.
2016-11-14
Use props
UAV.HOVERCAM
lvl.1

Australia

I would say that DJI would prefer sales of the focus handwheel to having to pay engineers to build C-AF into DJI-Go, but I have spent enough money on DJI products for now.  
2016-11-17
Use props
wysiwyg
lvl.1

Malaysia

Bump...

Osmo+ needs continuous autofocus while recording as well. Arguably even more so because it is more of a "consumer" product than the "professional" X5 and Pro. The lack of continuous autofocus (as available in every single consumer video capture product I've ever used) makes the Osmo+ unfit for purpose.
2016-11-22
Use props
Dalby
lvl.2
Flight distance : 54888 ft
Denmark

wysiwyg Posted at 2016-11-22 15:03
Bump...

Osmo+ needs continuous autofocus while recording as well. Arguably even more so because it ...

I agree a 100%!!
2016-11-22
Use props
Dalby
lvl.2
Flight distance : 54888 ft
Denmark

I agree a 100%!!  Please provide continuous AF!
2016-11-22
Use props
fansc5384ea7
New
United States

UAV.HOVERCAM Posted at 2016-11-17 06:24
I would say that DJI would prefer sales of the focus handwheel to having to pay engineers to build C ...

They probably do, but they should still consider the fact that C-AF would greatly improve this product. Some of us want to use the handheld with a single hand and have it focus. In many situations, I find I don't have a second hand to either tap on the screen to re-focus or grab the hand wheel.
2016-11-22
Use props
penaltybox
lvl.1

United States

I need the same, and I need it now. handwheel does me no good as I only have 2 hands, and someone needs to drive the boat.
2017-2-28
Use props
fans473cf847
New
Flight distance : 2119826 ft
  • >>>
United States

I Agree 100%. There is more than enough processing power in any new phone from the past two years I personally run an iPhone seven and it is more than capable handling continuous focus with multi point adaption and follow.
2017-10-10
Use props
fans473cf847
New
Flight distance : 2119826 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-10-18 22:03
Here is the link for your reference.
http://store.dji.com/product/osmo-pro-raw-dji-focus-handwheel?from=search

Please release the software for the OSMO Pro & Inspire to have C-Focus. This is found on all professional equipment. Until you have this specific feature you cannot truly call your equipment professional class. I implore you to serve your loyal customers with the best of your abilities. i tell the truth your customers will stay loyal to you when you're no longer the biggest.

“The results of quality work last longer than the shock of high prices.”
―Anonymous
2017-10-10
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

DJI has all but abandoned Osmo Pro. How many updates do Osmo Pro get since it is launch? They are concentrating their efforts with consumer products which will give them a bigger market and turnover. DJI is not a camera company so the learning curve of C-AF probably is beyond their capability. Now they partner with hassleblad, hopefully there is something good out of it for the Pro users. The very least, you would expect same features as Osmo, Osmo Pro lacks panorama, time lapse, auto-tracking and facebook live.
2017-10-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules