142417 1488 2016-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
edbighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Somehow the Mavic name theory is keeping me wondering. Back during pre launch, when I first read the name, I thought why? Why Mavic? This is the brand name of the wheels on my road bike. The brand name of at least a third of the wheels on the Tour de France. This isn't the same as calling a drone phantom or inspire. This has the potential for a massive lawsuit. For those who don't know, Porsche always had a habit of naming cars based on their project numbers. The 911 was project 901 which is why many of the parts on early 911s including the transmissions and engines begin with 901. Why wasn't the car itself called 901? Because Peugeot argued, in court, that model numbers with 0 as the middle digit were exclusive to their brand. They won out, Porsche changed it to 911. So this isn't to be taken lightly. I find it utterly moronic to use the brand name of a very relevant maker of high end bicycle parts. It's not as if Mavic in France named the company after a bird or tree. It is an acronym for Manufacture d'Articles Vélocipédiques Idoux et Chanel. Since  1899 this is the only meaning if the word. How in their right minds, can the higher ups at DJI come up with a name like that out of the blue and have the coincidence that it's the name of a high end bicycle parts manufacturer? And if it was pure coincidence, didn't they bother to check? Might as well have called the drone DJI Shimano. What brain fade! Call it DJI phantom 5, DJI falcon, DJI bora since very few kids today know that car. Besides, that car, as all seventies Maseratis, are named after winds. But the name of a famous high end bike wheel maker? Massive faux pas at best, massive courtroom situation at worst. Considering the short length of time between the public finding out about the mavic pre launch, and post launch, I would bet that Mavic in France didn't notice. But the moment it started to drastically change the first page of Google's search results for mavic yielding 50% drones instead of 100% bicycle wheels had to have raised a few eyebrows at Mavic's corporate offices in Annecy, France. This most likely led to a phone call to its current parent company, Amer Sports. How big is this one? They own Salomon, Wilson Sporting Goods, Atomic Skis, Arc’teryx, Mavic, Suunto, ENVE Composites, and Precor. Which would lead to an unpleasant little call from Europe over at DJI'd headquarters in China. Of course, this is all speculation, but it is not beyond the realm of probability and would cause a stop on any shipment of our anxiously expected drone. And, due to legal reasons, result in this strange silence from DJI on the matter. This, if course, in spite of DJI's special ways of dealing with customers.
2016-10-18
Use props
Nivag75
lvl.1

United States

Theory outta left field here.
"the two (GoPro and DJI) were in talks to produce a GoPro-branded drone, according to DJI CEO Frank Wang, but Wang claims that GoPro demanded two-thirds of the profits, and he thought DJI deserved the 2-1 split in its favor"
DJI push's up release to kill GoPro's sales on the Karma.
GoPro finds out DJI used some piece of tech from a joint designed drone or GoPro Itself and sues DJI
Legally DJI cannot come out and say "hey guys you cant have your mavics because the guys at GoPro have us in court"
hence DJI has not given anyone an answer to why 0 drones have shipped.  

And i'm sorry the whole they didnt make any until they had our money bit doesn't hold water.... if Boeing can produce 1.6 Boeing 737's ($51 to 86 Million jet) per day....DJI should sure as hell be able to make some drones to ship out in the 3 weeks they've been sitting on everyone's $$.

That being said all anyone is looking for is an answer.  Are there legal issues? manufacturing supply issues? hell If you had released the drone with a "Holiday 2016" ship date these forums would have never existed you would have had our money and 3 months of peace.
2016-10-18
Use props
jason_weston
lvl.2
Flight distance : 234948 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Two simple questions to answer:

1. Have any Mavics been produced by the factory?
2. If the answer is yes to the above, why have not not been sent?

Again you don't have businesses out there that make widgets and then sit on them till all the widgets they need are ready, they ship when they are produced. With this in mind we should be seeing some people getting their shipping details. Shouldn't take Einstein to put it together.

I assume that they have the stock, can't ship it for some reason and that reason is being closely guarded within HQ.
2016-10-18
Use props
chris50
lvl.2

The Mavic is the best drone everI just want it so badly
2016-10-18
Use props
ed_windham
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

incogneito Posted at 2016-10-19 09:34
Whether its a preorder or not, the shipping date is the EXPECTED shipping date, (as stated in the Dj ...

incognito,  I am sorry for your disappointment.  My guess, repeat my guess, is that the first tier will be the users that placed an order the first day, 27th.  And it may be within the first 2 hours of the first day.  I am not sure as our server was overwhelmed that first day.  For those that are in the 2nd and subsequent tiers you may be looking at the end of October or November.  We will be communicating to you via email and I supplied a link to be able to look up your order.
2016-10-18
Use props
chris50
lvl.2

ed_windham@yaho Posted at 2016-10-19 09:53
incognito,  I am sorry for your disappointment.  My guess, repeat my guess, is that the first tier ...

What about those of us who didn't order directly from DJi?  As in, your shipments to Amazon/Apple/B&H/etc.

Any guesses or theories as to when those places will receive stock?  

Also thank you for talking to us like humans, and not copy pasting us.  I love you.
2016-10-18
Use props
Cactus Bert
lvl.3

Canada

ctonyperry@gmai Posted at 2016-10-18 13:12
Delays don't bother me too much. Dishonesty bothers me a lot.
Why has the executive team at DJI not  ...

Read my thoughts in a new thread.
Mavic Preproduction Model Part Genius Part Lemon
2016-10-18
Use props
michaelfranklin
lvl.1

United States

I appreciate the explanation from DJI representatives. Im laughing at myself right now feeling like this similar to this election right now...no accountability in anything anymore. This is no kickstarter project. Yes, the interest in this product exceeded everyones expectations. But...you know your going to sell an X amount of units. So why not produce the product and have it ready for the announced ship date? At least you would have people saying " mine is on its way!! ". You produced ZERO. That's why everyone is pissed.
2016-10-18
Use props
pXTHxoStWY5h
lvl.3
United States

If Casey Neistat doesn't have his replacement Mavic  by the weekend THEN I'll know something is wrong with production....
2016-10-18
Use props
tV1fr835Dcq3
lvl.2

United States

pXTHxoStWY5h Posted at 2016-10-18 21:56
If Casey Neistat doesn't have his replacement Mavic  by the weekend THEN I'll know something is wro ...

Did he say he's asking for a replacement? Last I heard, he ordered one and is waiting like the rest of us.
2016-10-18
Use props
civeng123
lvl.2

United States

ed_windham,
Have any orders been shipped out?  If not, why?

I think a lot of the concern expressed here and elsewhere is based on a belief that this might have been a deliberate slight of hand by dji to under cut GoPro. If dji truly intended to launch mid October, but was just overwhelmed, then some orders should be shipping as we speak.

Answer this fully and honestly and I think you may head off much bad sentiment from your customers.
2016-10-18
Use props
JudgeRoyBean
lvl.2

Mavic is the new White Elephant,  its as elusive as Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster and as solid as a ghosts.  Iv'e seen mirages that had more substance than this supposed product
2016-10-18
Use props
michaelfranklin
lvl.1

United States

civeng123 Posted at 2016-10-18 22:01
ed_windham,

I think you nailed it. There is a legal situation going on...is hillary involved?
2016-10-18
Use props
ed_windham
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

civeng123 Posted at 2016-10-19 10:01
ed_windham,

I do not know.  Users will have the answer to that before I do.  That is why we have the email system.  One user on RCG said he had a tracking number.  I cannot confirm his claim.  
2016-10-18
Use props
civeng123
lvl.2

United States

ed_windham@yaho Posted at 2016-10-18 22:07
I do not know.  Users will have the answer to that before I do.  That is why we have the email sys ...

I do appreciate your honesty and candor in coming here to answer questions directly.

I believe we have a preponderance of early adopters here and on the MavicPilot forum and none have received ship notices as of yet. I myself was in the first couple of hours.  I am sure you can see how some may interpret this as proof of deception on DJIs part.

2016-10-18
Use props
mehulchaudhari
lvl.1

United States

I ordered from NewEgg.com on October 12th, 2016.

Just got an update from NewEgg.com --- They will be shipping on October 31st 2016. (Same Date as other Re-sellers EX: BestBuy)
I strongly believe shipping will occur on this date due to it's relationships with these vendors. They got the honest feedback, direct buyers did not.

Dear Valued Customer,

This email is regarding your recent pre-order purchase of the DJI Mavic Pro from our marketplace seller, DJI Official Store.

We have been informed by DJI that there is a world-wide delay on all Mavic Pro shipments due to a manufacturing delay. DJI is currently working very diligently to have your order shipped out as soon as possible.

The shortage not only affected Newegg but all stores that were expected to carry this particular item from DJI.

According to DJI, your order will be shipped by October 31, 2016.

Please rest assured that you will still be one of the first batch of customers who receives this incredible new product from DJI.

At this time, your credit card has not been charged. We will charge your credit card once the order has been shipped, or you may cancel the order if you if you no longer wish to wait.

Please contact us at marketplacesupport@newegg.com to cancel your order.

On behalf of our seller DJI Official Store, we sincerely apologize for this delay and thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Newegg Marketplace
2016-10-18
Use props
incogneito
lvl.2

United States

ed_windham@yaho Posted at 2016-10-19 09:53
incognito,  I am sorry for your disappointment.  My guess, repeat my guess, is that the first tier ...

You didn't disappoint me, Dji did that to every customer. It's just disgust in how the company is handling the situation, especially taking peoples money prior to shipping, lying about shipping, and not being straigh-forward. I thought other companies preorders were bad. This is "Next Generation" preordering I guess. I have to say, this IS definitely an "innovation", "redefining" preorders across all spectrum's of the business world. Must be the business practice these days..... Well for Dji at least. What a good job the privately owned company is doing holding more than 70% of the market share. Such an excellent job.
P.S. The "ing" on disgust in the second sentence was left out for a reason.
2016-10-18
Use props
calvindo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 344738 ft
United States

Ladies & Gentlemen,

This has going on for 3 days now. It's like a broken record... "IF" you are unhappy with DJI's response, or lack thereof. Simply cancel your order and move on. No one is handcuffing you to the purchase, so just cancel and buy when it comes available in stores. Unhappy with having funds tied up (CANCEL), unhappy with communication (CANCEL), feel scammed (CANCEL), and finally whining on the same old topic (CANCEL).

That one click, will make all this go away, I promise. You will have your life back, and not spend past couple days repeating yourself.

I will cancel my order October 27th, to buy a P4. And that's because I am traveling out of country and have no choice. In meantime, just sit back and relax. If any of the above bugs you, then you know what to do. It's not like DJI won't provide a full refund.
2016-10-18
Use props
keoshi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 239491 ft
Portugal

This is not about the Mavic as a product.

This is about our trust in DJI as a company.

You might very well come up with the best drone so far, but many others will follow. Make no mistake about it. And don't think you can rely on being “the best” without being honest with your customers.

Don't betray the trust you have from your customers, the ones that post reviews online, that share beautiful videos and effectively do more for your brand than you'll ever do. These are the people that believe in you, as far as you stay honest and transparent with them.

The moment you are not and that we feel that, we'll jump ship to a possibly lesser product, but that in time it'll become superior in every way possible and with a lot more credibility.

I love your products, but in today's world a brand is nothing without credibility, a transparent report card, and trust.
2016-10-18
Use props
christophermdia
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39662 ft

This thread is funny, makes me wonder what everyone here does for a living, seemingly not bring products to market ...
2016-10-18
Use props
incogneito
lvl.2

United States

calvindo Posted at 2016-10-19 10:24
Ladies & Gentlemen,

This has going on for 3 days now. It's like a broken record... "IF" you are unh ...

What about interest charged for something not delivered? Who should pay that?
2016-10-18
Use props
BaseOutdoorsNZ
lvl.1

New Zealand

I'm located in Auckland New Zealand. I have had a Mavic on preorder from a large local reseller here in NZ. I have just contacted customer support and they have advised me that they are expecting stock of the Mavic to arrive on the 21/10. It is the 19/10 here currently. Fingers crossed that this date is correct. I have set my order to collect from their main warehouse as soon as stock is available. Will post here if they actually do come in on the 21st.
2016-10-18
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Perhaps it's time to put down the Kool-aid and take a dose of perspective.

Look at the history of launches and product from DJI over the past couple of years and see the pattern.

Launches are held, shipping dates are announced. These dates are never, repeat never met.
You may feel aggrieved that your money is effectively in Frank Wang's pocket, held on a promise that a product will surface 'One Day'.
Well, think about all those people who went through exactly the same situation with the Inspire launch, The X5 launch, Osmo, XT and Z3.
These products were all much more expensive than Mavic. (well, not OSMO)

Now also look back to the first few months of actual ownership - quality issues with firmware and apps, support struggling to deal with the volume of issues and more and more bugs being encountered. With Inspire we have had two complete changes of prop system!

After 6-9 months, things settle down and life with DJI can become workable.  

DJI won't change this model until someone else comes along with a product that threatens their sales - until then the only answer is to wait until there is stock on the shelves and the software is reasonably free of bugs.
So cancel your order if you are unhappy, otherwise wait it out. There is nothing new to see here.
2016-10-18
Use props
kevinelliott
lvl.4
Flight distance : 354131 ft

chris50 Posted at 2016-10-19 08:36
Everyone who preordered should get a free Inspire Raw

HAHAHA. Ok, now that made me laugh a lot. Thanks for that.
2016-10-18
Use props
calvindo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 344738 ft
United States

incogneito Posted at 2016-10-18 19:29
What about interest charged for something not delivered? Who should pay that?

for christ sake. {:4_157:} take it as a loss and never buy anything from dji again, if that $ amount is impacting your lifestyle.
2016-10-18
Use props
ultraflight77
lvl.3
Flight distance : 881598 ft
United States

BaseOutdoorsNZ Posted at 2016-10-18 22:29
I'm located in Auckland New Zealand. I have had a Mavic on preorder from a large local reseller here ...

And if this turns out to be true then the 1st come 1st serve nonsense was all a hoax on the DJI website as well as the 1st batch BS. This is getting more and more hilarious!!!
2016-10-18
Use props
incogneito
lvl.2

United States

calvindo Posted at 2016-10-19 10:32
for christ sake.  take it as a loss and never buy anything from dji again, if that $ amou ...

You are missing the point there, chap. Calm down and understand a little, son. It's not difficult.
2016-10-18
Use props
kevinelliott
lvl.4

stratosHD Posted at 2016-10-19 08:49
Yup they had a care less attitude.  I have spoken with the full range of Season names:

April

Around some parts of the world, they have another season... Construction... it usually follows winter or is before winter, to fix the roads, etc.

Did you get a rep with that name?
2016-10-18
Use props
kevinelliott
lvl.4

msduncanrolltid Posted at 2016-10-19 09:33
Now THAT was good information.  Thank you for that Ed.    I'm anxiously awaiting your product.

Except that Ed is not a DJI employee and that was not an official response by DJI. If it were, I believe it would help quell the chaos. In this case, it's a person who had a pre-production media device who is simply guessing. And that guess is fine, but it doesn't exactly answer the questions every single person here is asking -- when will shipping start?
2016-10-18
Use props
gburk
lvl.1

United States

civeng123 Posted at 2016-10-19 10:01
ed_windham,

Not sure if this was accurate, but there seems to have been some indication that some were shipped. The interaction on twitter is no longer available.

2016-10-18
Use props
mehulchaudhari
lvl.1

United States

I just need this Drone as I am flying to India around Nov 20th! Otherwise I'm ordering the GoPro Drone if it doesn't ship by October 31st as promised in an email today by NewEgg from DJI.
2016-10-18
Use props
jason_weston
lvl.2
Flight distance : 234948 ft
  • >>>
Australia

found this image of the DJI's Mavic storage center.

http://www.constructionphotograp ... lving_and_racks.jpg
2016-10-18
Use props
ed_windham
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

All I have responded to your concerns and expressed DJI's position.  I agree with several of the posters that if you are unhappy with the way DJI handled the launch of the Mavic, then cancel your order.  You comments have been noted but that does not change the supply chain.  I cannot do that either.  If there is a better product out there, then buy it.  No one is holding you hostage.  There are many competitors out there.  Do your research, contact them, ask about availability, ask about warranty, ask about features.  If they fit your needs then please buy it and move on.  You will be much happier.  Continuing to post here and expecting a different outcome is the definition of, you know the quote.  I do not have to state it.
2016-10-18
Use props
ecarpo
lvl.3

China

ed_windham@yaho Posted at 2016-10-19 10:47
All I have responded to your concerns and expressed DJI's position.  I agree with several of the pos ...

Anyone who believes a word of this is too moronic to be allowed to operate a drone in public.
2016-10-18
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

kevinelliott Posted at 2016-10-19 10:40
Except that Ed is not a DJI employee and that was not an official response by DJI. If it were, I b ...

We works for DJI - AKA Tahoe Ed
2016-10-18
Use props
kevinelliott
lvl.4

edbighi@gmail.c Posted at 2016-10-19 09:36
Somehow the Mavic name theory is keeping me wondering. Back during pre launch, when I first read the ...

That is a fun theory, but there's one problem. Mavic in France is a brand/company name, while DJI is using Mavic as a product name. Additionally, they are technically in very different markets. Intellectual property entities, such as the USPTO (United States Patent and Trademark Office), define a trademark as something unique to a business in specific categories.

That allows other businesses to register trademarks with the same name for different categories. For example, Mavic can be a registered trademark for "bicycle supplies" while Mavic can be a registered trademark for "flying devices" -- the actual categories would need to be researched though.

I have a registered trademark for the words "WeLike" and "We Like" (https://trademarks.justia.com/865/10/welike-86510470.html). You can see that I have very specific categories in which this trademark is registered for.

In general, the idea is that if the public will be blatantly confused, a second trademark with the same name by another company will not be granted. For example, USPTO would not grant the ability to for another company to use the trademark "WeLike" for the purposes of "recommendation software" since I own that trademark for that purpose. However, they would grant it to a company who wants "WeLike" for a category like "type of cereal" or "clothing brand" since they are nothing like my categories.

As for company names, you can have any name you want as long as it does not inherently violate a trademark that exists in the same categories. For example, you could probably get a California Corporation called "DJI Balloons Corp" without any issues, since you sell balloons and no one would get confused.

Now if Mavic in France also made accessories for airplanes or drones or similar things, then yes, there could very well be an issue.

--- UPDATE:

I have done a little research.

MAVIC SAS in France has a trademark filed with OHIM in Europe for MAVIC. You can see it here.
DJI has a trademark application file with USPTO for MAVIC. You can see it here.

Mavic in France's has been in use and approved for many years. It is extended out until 2026.
DJI's application just went in 2 months ago. It's still in "new status" and hasn't yet been vetted and approved by a trademark attorney internal to the USPTO.

Most importantly, there IS SOME OVERLAP in their trademarks. Specifically for this category:

Mavic in France:

9  Scientific apparatus and instruments, revolution counters, meters, mileage recorders for vehicles.

DJI:

009 - Scientific, nautical, surveying, electric, photographic, cinematographic, optical, weighing, measuring, signalling, checking (supervision), life-saving and teaching apparatus and instruments; apparatus for recording, transmission or reproduction of sound or images; magnetic data carriers, recording discs; automatic vending machines and mechanisms for coin-operated apparatus; cash registers, calculating machines, data processing equipment and computers; fire-extinguishing apparatus. - Scientific, nautical, surveying, electric, photographic, cinematographic, optical, weighing, measuring, signalling, checking (supervision), life-saving and teaching apparatus and instruments; apparatus for recording, transmission or reproduction of sound or images; magnetic data carriers, recording discs; automatic vending machines and mechanisms for coin-operated apparatus; cash registers, calculating machines, data processing equipment and computers; fire-extinguishing apparatus.

These are the same international categories, and thus, they both want the same trademark for the same purpose (essentially).

This is now, without a doubt (to me), the very reason they are not shipping.
2016-10-18
Use props
tV1fr835Dcq3
lvl.2

United States

ed_windham@yaho Posted at 2016-10-18 22:47
All I have responded to your concerns and expressed DJI's position.  I agree with several of the pos ...

People want to know the situation with the products they paid for and expected by a certain time frame. This is the DJI mavic forum. Expect it to continue until DJI can give concrete answers. Saying things like "if you don't like it cancel" sounds eerily similar to "if you don't like *insert policy* you can get the hell out of Murica".... People aren't expecting an outcome... they are waiting for an honest answer and speculating based on the available information in the mean time. If you expect people to quietly wait, then you're just as unrealistic as the people you accuse. Seems you could just save yourself the headache and follow your own advise, since you aren't concerned.
2016-10-18
Use props
userde968106c1
lvl.1

Its about time i give my opinion, since ive been watching this forum for a couple weeks now. First, you all sound like a bunch of toddlers who didnt get their toy in time. Second, if 1300 is killing you than you should not have bought the product. Third, who gives a shit when they take your money, what are you loosing 50 cent interest on 1300? Four, dji didnt rip you off, your free to cancel your order. Five, lets be 100% honest, noone is canceling their mavic order to buy a dumb ass karma lol and if you do, your as dumb as your comments.
2016-10-18
Use props
kevinelliott
lvl.4

Farnk666 Posted at 2016-10-19 10:57
We works for DJI - AKA Tahoe Ed

Ahh, he does? But he's not representing DJI on this forum. There are no indicators in his name or profile that would say that he is. So he might just be expressing personal feelings about it, but may not actually have any information about the situation.
2016-10-18
Use props
incogneito
lvl.2

United States

ed_windham@yaho Posted at 2016-10-19 10:47

You forgot to mention... Ask about customer service there son. May I ask how is Dji's customer service?
2016-10-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules