Does Mavic record audio?
12Next >
64638 46 2016-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
varungarg
New

United States

Hi, I have not used DJI drones before. Wanted to know if Mavic can record audio? If so, how is the quality?

2016-10-18
Use props
DJI LA Support
Captain

United States

No it doesn't. If it did all you'd hear is the propellers and wind rushing by.
2016-10-18
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

None of DJI's drones record audio, unless they are carryong a GoPro, or some other camera with a mic.
2016-10-18
Use props
Revs
lvl.3
Flight distance : 73514 ft
United Kingdom

I thought I'd read that you could record audio through your phones mic using the app, no? If not that would be a good idea ;)
2016-10-18
Use props
varungarg
New

United States

DJI LA Support Posted at 2016-10-18 15:35

Thank you for your reply!
2016-10-19
Use props
t.t.songca
New

South Korea

DJI LA Support Posted at 2016-10-19 05:35

I'm a bit confused as this is mentioned in one of your promotional videos. Please see the following link:

Please clarify.
2016-10-21
Use props
DJI LA Support
Captain

United States

The audio is recorded through your smart device when live-streaming.
2016-10-21
Use props
BramL
New

Netherlands

It would be awesome to get the option to record audio for regular video as well. It will allow me to comment whilst shooting saving work afterwards. Maybe by creating a audiotrack on the phone with the same name as the video allowing easy integration in post.
2016-12-20
Use props
ZeroPitch
New
United States

BramL Posted at 2016-12-20 03:09
It would be awesome to get the option to record audio for regular video as well. It will allow me to comment whilst shooting saving work afterwards. Maybe by creating a audiotrack on the phone with the same name as the video allowing easy integration in post.

Very frustrated with this, too.

I would also like to record audio commentary on my iPhone while flying my Mavic Pro, ideally using a bluetooth headset or less ideally with the phone mic.

When launched, the DJI GO 4 app for iPhone STOPS ANY AND ALL BACKGROUND RECORDING.  Not sure why this is, because the app does not appear to request access to the microphone (it is not appear in the Settings/Privacy/Microphone list).

I've tried several different recording apps, including Voice Memos, all of which work fine in the background and will continue to record with other apps in the foreground.  However, shortly after DJI GO 4 is launched, the recording is halted every time.

Please add an option to the DJI GO 4 app for recording audio at the iPhone!

Thank you!

2017-1-2
Use props
YellowAstra
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1834193 ft
Switzerland

ZeroPitch Posted at 2017-1-2 07:45

I would also like to record audio commentary on my iPhone while flying my Mavic Pro, ideally using a bluetooth headset or less ideally with the phone mic.

The problem  there is no sound recorded is quite simple bc if there would be sound from the Smartphone, it has to be streamed back to the Mavic or Phantom and put with the Video stream onto the SD Card. So that's why we don't have sound on the Drones videos at all. When we live stream then the sound and video actually get saved onto the streaming sites server itself.
2017-2-12
Use props
SR-71Habu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 191125 ft
United States

Hey there....I just skimmed your post and was surprised that you said DJI Go4 was not listed in the privacy permissions. Apple is super strict about API usage and app/OS security. Bells rang, because I have used live streaming and it worked fine including audio. So I fired up voice memos and then fired up Go. (no I didn't boot up the Mavic and controller, hopefully that won't affect my theory.

So I think iOS is killing voice memos from running while Go is running because your phone hasn't been configured to give Go access to the microphone. If so, I think they are using a lazy way to decide "when an app requests mic/video access" if that is the case. Yep, I just tested by turning off mic access for Go and the recording stopped..Bingo. Head into Go and create connect up to on of the social options to livestream. That should invoke the "give Go mic/video access" dialogue. You should be golden.

You'd think that the criteria would be "when an app directly requests a/v access at the API level", not "when an app is running at the same time as one using mic/video.
2017-2-18
Use props
SR-71Habu
lvl.2
United States

YellowAstra Posted at 2017-2-12 16:17
The problem  there is no sound recorded is quite simple bc if there would be sound from the Smartphone, it has to be streamed back to the Mavic or Phantom and put with the Video stream onto the SD Card. So that's why we don't have sound on the Drones videos at all. When we live stream then the sound and video actually get saved onto the streaming sites server itself.

Totally doable. It should be included as part of Video caching on to the device. When you turn video caching on there should be a switch "record audio via device". And they just add another tab to the UI in the Editor section of Go for Audio.

Then, just like with vids/photos, just save the file to your device and get it over to your editing machine. That'd be the easy way.

Harder but doable would be to get the device audio track out to the Mavic but lightbridge has a ton of bandwidth in normal mode. Plenty of pipe there to move a high quality stereo audio track OTA to the SD card. It's a separate track with it's own file so there shouldn't be any sync issues. I'm sure there's tons of reasons why this would be hard, but I'm just saying "doable".
2017-2-18
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

Since I use background music for all my videos I've no use for sound from the drone (nor would I want it). Now... If you would like to record commentary or sounds of where you are flying you could always use a recording device (I sometimes set up my DSLR for video and sound with a RODE mic). Works well and also allows for a second shot to be filmed since I have it set up on a 3 axis gimbal. That said, if I do that I usually lower the volume of the sound and raise the volume of whatever music I include in the film. The background sound is just ambiance. I don't think anyone wants to hear "rotor wash".
2017-2-19
Use props
YellowAstra
lvl.2
Switzerland

SR-71Habu Posted at 2017-2-18 23:37
Hey there....I just skimmed your post and was surprised that you said DJI Go4 was not listed in the privacy permissions. Apple is super strict about API usage and app/OS security. Bells rang, because I have used live streaming and it worked fine including audio. So I fired up voice memos and then fired up Go. (no I didn't boot up the Mavic and controller, hopefully that won't affect my theory.

So I think iOS is killing voice memos from running while Go is running because your phone hasn't been configured to give Go access to the microphone. If so, I think they are using a lazy way to decide "when an app requests mic/video access" if that is the case. Yep, I just tested by turning off mic access for Go and the recording stopped..Bingo. Head into Go and create connect up to on of the social options to livestream. That should invoke the "give Go mic/video access" dialogue. You should be golden.

My point is Bandwidth if you have to send a sound stream to the mavic from your phone it must be aligned with the Videostream and that's a problem in itself.
2017-2-20
Use props
hybrid33
lvl.2
Flight distance : 912224 ft
United States

If ya'll wanna record your display and audio during flight, there's an app called AirShou.  It's not in the app store, and you gotta download it through safari on your iphone, but it can be done.  I do this for my youtube videos to display my data, as well as voice commentary.  It's pretty cool and useful, but you have to redownload it every 7-10 days.
2017-2-20
Use props
SR-71Habu
lvl.2
United States

YellowAstra Posted at 2017-2-20 13:33
My point is Bandwidth if you have to send a sound stream to the mavic from your phone it must be aligned with the Videostream and that's a problem in itself.

What are you talking about? Audio (even high quality) uses minimal bandwidth compared to video. Again, I'm not neccesarily talking about embedding the audio track in the video file, just a separate file saved either on the device or on the Mavic's SD card. Do you understand? The method where the audio file is saved on the phone would work, of course in post you would need to sync the sound track properly but not a prob.

Trust me when I say that they could do this. There is no technical limitation that would absolutely prevent this. This is coming from a career IT engineer with a background in coding and systems architecture.
2017-2-21
Use props
YellowAstra
lvl.2
Switzerland

SR-71Habu Posted at 2017-2-21 18:01
What are you talking about? Audio (even high quality) uses minimal bandwidth compared to video. Again, I'm not neccesarily talking about embedding the audio track in the video file, just a separate file saved either on the device or on the Mavic's SD card. Do you understand? The method where the audio file is saved on the phone would work, of course in post you would need to sync the sound track properly but not a prob.

Trust me when I say that they could do this. There is no technical limitation that would absolutely prevent this. This is coming from a career IT engineer with a background in coding and systems architecture.

First not everyone is a career IT in coding and systems architecture who owns a Mavic Pro.
When you have to use post production anyway to sync your recordings then use a external recorder.
You should probably had bought the Matrice 100 instead of a Mavic Pro.
2017-2-22
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

In android DJI GO 4 has permission to close other apps.
2017-2-22
Use props
fans0b121ec4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4318 ft
United Kingdom

Yes it can definitely record audio. Only with ios. Unfortunately not for Android yet. Which one are you using?
2017-4-8
Use props
NielsL
New
Flight distance : 50184 ft
Denmark

It actually does record sound from the phone but only onto the catch video stored on the phone. I haven't found a way to transfer it to the video stored on the SD card on the drone.
2017-4-20
Use props
Zeenvor33
lvl.1
United States

Ok so the Mavic Pro does in fact record audio from some onboard microphone.  However, I can only confirm this when I play back the cached video on my Samsung S7 edge.  If I download the video from the Mavic's SD card and play it on my laptop, there isn't any sound.  I've also noticed that it will record me talking if I'm just flying around like normal.  I will try different intelligent flight modes to see if it makes a difference.
2017-5-16
Use props
Zeenvor33
lvl.1
United States

Ok so the Mavic Pro does in fact record audio from some onboard microphone.  However, I can only confirm this when I play back the cached video on my Samsung S7 edge.  If I download the video from the Mavic's SD card and play it on my laptop, there isn't any sound.  I've also noticed that it will record me talking if I'm just flying around like normal.  I will try different intelligent flight modes to see if it makes a difference.  
2017-5-16
Use props
Tealk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 479613 ft
Romania

you can record audio with your device when you fly
2017-5-16
Use props
gibbd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18980 ft
United Kingdom

Zeenvor33 Posted at 2017-5-16 19:25

The audio recorded is from your phone, and therefore that's why it only is embedded to the video that gets saved on your smartphone. There is no built in mic to the mavic
2017-5-16
Use props
fansc2cfe2723
New
United Kingdom

It CAN be done!!

Ensure there's plenty of cache, Record video, then SHARE from the cached version before any download  'Email, Whatsapp, Facebook etc

When trying to email it errors for me if over 100mb regardless of WIFI, but 'Share' it to a friend then its on your phone or downloadable from source.  
Of course, the cached version is the streamed version & the quality may sometimes, be better via direct download from SD card onboard the Mavic,  yet seems very good still.

Also got a sneaky feeling if SD card is full, any download will come from Cache inc sound (as I somehow accidentally have a direct download audio video from an early flight), Could also be worth a try to purposely fill the SD card.  

My recordings are Mp4 yet doubt it makes a difference.....
2017-6-4
Use props
ZeroPitch
New
United States

Tealk Posted at 2017-5-16 20:19
you can record audio with your device when you fly
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170405/b3f853b7eb1325ea0f39b65ff80180fa.jpg[/img]

Excellent!  I saw, then promptly forgot, that I had enabled that setting, lol...
2017-6-5
Use props
ZeroPitch
New
United States

NielsL Posted at 2017-4-20 11:45
It actually does record sound from the phone but only onto the catch video stored on the phone. I haven't found a way to transfer it to the video stored on the SD card on the drone.

w00t!  That totally worked!  And as a bonus, it's easy to share a quick clip to Facebook if I'm not in the mood to extract the audio and sync to the full rez clips stored on the SD card...

Thanks!
2017-6-5
Use props
ZeroPitch
New
United States

So the reason for this is almost undoubtedly because the Mic is actually enabled and audio is recorded into the video cache... thanks all!
2017-6-5
Use props
Billyboy72
New
Flight distance : 5384 ft
United States

hello all I hope all is well. my audio has muted on my drone. anyone know hoe to fix this?
2017-6-25
Use props
Billyboy72
New
United States

SR-71Habu Posted at 2017-2-18 23:56
Totally doable. It should be included as part of Video caching on to the device. When you turn video caching on there should be a switch "record audio via device". And they just add another tab to the UI in the Editor section of Go for Audio.

Then, just like with vids/photos, just save the file to your device and get it over to your editing machine. That'd be the easy way.

how do I go about turning video cache on, on my mini 2 please?
2017-6-25
Use props
Billyboy72
New
United States

Can you teach me how to do this so my iPad mini 2 is picking up what I'm saying? It did the first day of flight but now day 2 and 3 it stopped
2017-6-25
Use props
Billyboy72
New
United States

Not sure any of what I asked came through or not. Can you teach me how to do this on my iPad mini2? It recorded the first day then day 2 and 3 it hasn't
2017-6-25
Use props
Billyboy72
New
United States

fans0b121ec4 Posted at 2017-4-8 01:20
Yes it can definitely record audio. Only with ios. Unfortunately not for Android yet. Which one are you using?

iPad mini 2 for me. And it did the first day no problem now all of a sudden it stopped
2017-6-25
Use props
Semko
New
Denmark

DJI LA Support Posted at 2016-10-18 12:35

Not, if you only want to use the camera handheld.
2017-10-2
Use props
fansbc6a1566
lvl.1
United States

If you do a facebook live and then publish it, it shows up in 720p with audio from your iphone.
2017-10-10
Use props
Gregbella
First Officer
Australia

It would be great if we had the option to record sound from the AC
2017-10-11
Use props
terryzzz
New

United Kingdom

Okay, so discovered this thread after trying to find out where the sound I was supposedly recording was. In my editor I just combined the audio from the 720p cache video and the audioless 4K footage... the audio seems to be recording out of sync in the video cache file, but doesn't take much to sync it in Premiere.  The sound is as good as you get out of your phone.
2018-2-26
Use props
fans31b9be8a
New

WHY would they record audio to send to your phone, yet not allow you to record it locally on the SD card?
I could understand not allowing to do both and either or. But this makes little sense to me.

It's fun sometimes to brag to friends about how windy it was during a shoot. In which is easily heard when the drone is stationary, and the motors spin up/down to maintain position....
2018-6-18
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10321657 ft
Canada

audio was on and I found out about it when watching the video hearing the blades then my footsteps, it's in the setting as shown by Tealk #23
2018-6-18
Use props
djiuser_xWe4GdEdGyTI
New

United States

I have the Mavic Pro and You can have audio only on a Facebook live, and the audio is recorded from your phone not the drone.
2019-3-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules