Legal Strobe
4364 38 2016-10-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wingsy
lvl.2

United States

SeeMe Strobe.png
It's been a long search but I think I've found something that I can make work for a strobe light for my P4. One that complies with part 107 for twilight/night flying (visible for 3 miles).

It'll take some work but what I plan to do is cut the top off and mount it and 2 AA batteries to the top of my P4 with velcro. I won't even include a switch - put the batteries in the holders and it's on. Light was $24, battery holders were pennies. I'll post again once I have this done, if successful. A link to this light: https://www.amazon.com/UST-Marin ... ellow/dp/B001VIXTS0

I guess now is the time someone will post a ready-made solution to the strobe problem. I've searched and couldn't find anything that's "legal".
2016-10-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

There are better options
http://www.lumecube.com/164.html
Aside from all the variables, there are seven strobe modes...
And these can be seen clearly for several miles, even in the brightest daytime skies.
They come in pairs with the drone kit, and you can adjust brightness or even the cube angles, for better visibility.

RedHotPoker
2016-10-21
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Wingsy,

If you do as you note in your post, your strobe light will be mounted right on your GPS / GLONASS sensor.  There will probably be serious interference.  You might want to just tape it on top temporarily and test it to see if you can even get a GPS signal with it there.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-10-21
Use props
Wingsy
lvl.2

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-21 05:24
There are better options
http://www.lumecube.com/164.html
Aside from all the variables, there are se ...

Yeah, that's 180 bucks, and just for 2. I would need 4 to project the light 360 degrees. So the LumeCube would cost me $1 per degree. And although it appears quite bright, the manufacturer doesn't spec a visibility range.
2016-10-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Wingsy Posted at 2016-10-21 15:12
Yeah, that's 180 bucks, and just for 2. I would need 4 to project the light 360 degrees. So the Lu ...

Plenty of bright folks in here already have our own Lume Cubes and can verify their long distant visibility.
One person who will vouch is the forums own DJI-Ken. Having one cube facing forward slightly down, & the other side facing to the back and likewise slightly downward, will give you all the visibility you require. Four aren't necessary, just the duo kit.
Alternatively You can also always stick an array of LED ribbon of light on your drone, for your purposes.

RedHotPoker
2016-10-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-22 05:04
Plenty of bright folks in here already have our own Lume Cubes and can verify their long distant vi ...

Are they rechargeable batteries, and how long do you get on a charge, if they are?
2016-10-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-22 07:05
Are they rechargeable batteries, and how long do you get on a charge, if they are?

Yes, they contain an internal battery, that charges through USB. Takes less than an hour to charge a well drained battery.
On full power, steady light, they run for twenty minutes. But there are ten power settings, and seven strobe modes, so they would last for several hours easily on a full charge.
TECHNICAL SPECS:
1.5″ cubed. Fits in the palm of your hand
6000K light temperature
1500 Lumen LED
150 Lux @ 9 feet (3M)
Constant video light (20+ minutes on full power)
45+ minutes on 90 percent brightness, 120+ minutes on 50 percent brightness
Fully waterproof down to 100′
Optical sensor built-in to operate as a slave to other flashes/light sources
Bluetooth-controlled via Lume Cube smartphone App (iOS, Android)
Adjustable flash duration
1/4 20 mount on the bottom with multiple mounting options
Connect up to 5 Lume Cubes and control each individually with the “Lume Cube Pro” App
Red Eye reduction control
Lume Cube and Lume Cube Pro Applications available in the Apple App Store and Google Play
Custom lens produces a 60º beam.

RedHotPoker
2016-10-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-22 18:59
Yes, they contain an internal battery, that charges through USB. Takes less than an hour to charge ...

Thank you kindly for that , all info covered in your answer, think you've sold me on them, cheers.
2016-10-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

They are incredibly efficient and extremely bright.

It's a wonderful way to improve day and night flight visibility, and the drone photography only improves with a decent light source, for that tiny Sony sensor. ;-)

There are several of us with Lume Cubes on our Phantom 3 and no one has made any negative comments, that I have read.

RedHotPoker
2016-10-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-22 19:57
They are incredibly efficient not, and extremely bright.

It's a wonderful way to improve day and n ...

I've had a look on their site, very impressive, I also have an Osmo and they seem ideal for that, will work on my wife for early Christmas perzzie.
2016-10-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

The OSMO is awesome... Lucky you. Tell the wife these are invaluable LED lights and necessary for legal drone reasons. Haha

Plus they are useful in so many other ways...

Something that excites me are these soon to be released cages that will hold filters, gels and more....

Lume Cube launches a gelling and diffuser system that extends run-time at full power to 44 minutes!

RedHotPoker

2016-10-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-22 13:09
I've had a look on their site, very impressive, I also have an Osmo and they seem ideal for that,  ...

Where did the "Not" come from, in my post? I never wrote that. Haha
Seems like somebody has been attempting to put words in my mouth.  Snickers

Nice try, but that won't wash with me.
I noted that a comment "Are you sure?" Was added to another of my posts with a Mavic YouTube link, when I declared the Mavic had no interest to me, at all. None. And it never will.  I Must have pissed off somebody, tough sh!t!! Hahaha Yeah, who ever went out of their way, to alter my post, Suck it up bud, and get over yourself, you aren't that cute. Grinning

RedHotPoker
2016-10-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-23 18:34
Where did the "Not" come from, in my post? I never wrote that. Haha
Seems like somebody has been a ...

I haven't a clue what your talking about, whatever it is can you say it in English , I was looking for in on lume cubes ?
2016-10-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-23 11:49
I haven't a clue what your talking about, whatever it is can you say it in English , I was looking ...

Yes, happy to explain myself. When I wrote this:
"They are incredibly efficient and extremely bright.

It's a wonderful way to improve day and night flight visibility, and the drone photography only improves with a decent light source, for that tiny Sony sensor. ;-)

There are several of us with Lume Cubes on our Phantom 3 and no one has made any negative comments, that I have read."

Somebody put the word NOT after efficient. So I removed it. The games people play...
Nothing to do with you. ;-) but I have a pretty good idea who would have done this...

RedHotPoker
2016-10-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-23 18:57
Yes, happy to explain myself. When I wrote this:
"They are incredibly efficient and extremely brig ...

I was truly happy with your attention to detailed response, I didn't change anything I would not have thought it possible to change anybody's post, I regret that you think I might have done this , but I haven't , it's not what I do, but again thanks for the information.
2016-10-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-23 12:07
I was truly happy with your attention to detailed response, I didn't change anything I would not h ...

I know you didn't add that "NOT", as it was in My original post. And got inavertantly copied when you quoted me.

Eh, don't worry about it. I already took it out of my post. Thanks.

Enjoy the day, go flying. Haha

RedHotPoker
2016-10-23
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120066 ft
United States

I found these    https://www.northamericansurviva ... _60.html?redirect=1

and I also have the lume cubes !!!
2016-10-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Too bad they are so small, and need an external battery.  For the extra money, Lume Cubes have far more parameters and usefulness.
These simple LED's are one dimensional, and have no other benefits. Basically for orientation. No use for photography.
Super pricey, with no other advantages.
If you already have Lume Cubes, then you should know the difference, and there is very little to near no comparison.

RedHotPoker

2016-10-23
Use props
jyurkyandsons
lvl.2

United States

I give the lume cubes a 10 guaranteed you'll not going to find a simpler set up.
2016-10-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

jyurkyandsons Posted at 2016-10-23 20:48
I give the lume cubes a 10 guaranteed you'll not going to find a simpler set up.

That sounds like the voice of experience. Haha
Yes, the Lume Cubes have a brilliant design, not to mention bright light.
Infact, they are so strong, I need to wear shades, while handling them. Chuckles.

RedHotPoker
2016-10-23
Use props
poppylfh-sp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3902884 ft
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker do you have contact with LumeCubes to know if they're trying to make a mount for the Mavic for the cubes? Seems a single mount that would slip over the battery to a point that's at center of gravity might work depending prop clearance etc.
2016-10-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

poppylfh-sp Posted at 2016-10-24 01:18
RedHotPoker do you have contact with LumeCubes to know if they're trying to make a mount for the Mav ...

Yes, they are presently working on a Mavic mount for the Lume Cube. Or, yeah, their designers are diligently creating a Lume Cube mount suitable for the new Mavic. ;-)

Perhaps it would require just one!! ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-10-24
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
United States

Grizz 1 Posted at 2016-10-23 20:15
I found these    https://www.northamericansurvivalsystems.com/DS-30-WHITE-DRONE-STROBE_p_60.html?red ...

that's true Redhot, I love the cubes, but the strobes satisfy the FAA for legal navigational lighting
2016-10-24
Use props
gmccurdy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft

Anyone with the Lume Cubes have a basic shooting plan with a pair of them at night?

Say 25 feet from subject on high power, what do you use as a shutter or movie film speed, ISO, etc. and how is the noise if any?  Are you boosting the exposure in post?  I've not been impressed with a LED flashlight as it gave me about f/2.8 (P4 lens) at only 4 feet and ISO 100 for 1/30 sec.

I'm getting the impression from reviews that their claim of 1500 lumens is more like 800 in reality so I'd like some real-world working numbers.

Tia.
2016-10-24
Use props
MicroFPV
lvl.3

United States

Cool strobes, thanks for the link.  Now if they have blue I'll be all set.Cubes don't have gels or filters yet from what I can tell.  They told me
October but I think there's been some kind of delay.
2016-10-24
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
United States

MicroFPV Posted at 2016-10-24 11:05
Cool strobes, thanks for the link.  Now if they have blue I'll be all set.Cubes don't have gels or  ...

the only ones I saw were RED, WHITE, and GREEN. I haven't talked to them about the BLUE ones yet
2016-10-24
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
United States

gmccurdy@att.ne Posted at 2016-10-24 09:21
Anyone with the Lume Cubes have a basic shooting plan with a pair of them at night?

Say 25 feet fro ...

for me, I just use the cubes at night for visual observation and orientation for the aircraft.
the LOS is greatly increased with the cubes
2016-10-24
Use props
MicroFPV
lvl.3

United States

I have red, white and blue coming on the strobe lights.  Should be here by the weekend I'm guessing.  Just looked again at the site and he's posted exactly what I had asked which was if there was a discount of any kind on multiples?  I knew I wanted red and white, blue also if there's a possible deal of some kind.
https://www.northamericansurviva ... _60.html?redirect=1
2016-10-25
Use props
MicroFPV
lvl.3

United States

The strobe lights came in and I set them up temporarily on the P4.  Amazing visibility I'll say that.  I started a dedicated thread for these DS-30 strobe lights here and will add more information soon.DS-30 strobe lights

2016-10-31
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
United States

MicroFPV Posted at 2016-10-25 08:59
I have red, white and blue coming on the strobe lights.  Should be here by the weekend I'm guessing. ...

I went ahead and ordered all four colors today. red, white, green, blue. also ordered  some 9 volt battery boxes with on/off switch.
2016-10-31
Use props
MicroFPV
lvl.3

United States

I need to pick up the green also.  Thought I would mount the domed white on top and check GPS interference if any.  Jim said lots of folks are using the 9v Lithium batteries and you can run a pair from one battery.

Placed an order for white G10 yesterday so hope to CNC some mounting plates this weekend.  I'll post pics here or in the new thread.
2016-11-1
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
United States

where can you get the holders for the lithium batteries ?
2016-11-1
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
Flight distance : 412835 ft
  • >>>
United States

Self Contained Strobe
https://www.readymaderc.com/stor ... p;cPath=505_509_513
2017-5-29
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

The Roach Posted at 2017-5-29 14:20
Self Contained Strobe
https://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=505_509_513

Not much point is it? They are all listed as 'Out Of Stock'.
2017-5-29
Use props
BouldersDad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 872448 ft
United States

So after reading multiple threads along the lines of this one, and reading on and on, ad nauseum, about how RedHotPoker loves his Lume Cubes, I've just got one thing to say...
Mine are due in on Tuesday. Can't wait!
2017-6-4
Use props
BouldersDad
lvl.3
United States

A debt of gratitude to RedHotPoker!
I just took my first daylight flight with the LumeCubes.
All I can say is INCREDIBLE!!!
I took your advice with 1 forward and 1 back, aimed slightly down.
I got about a mile out before I had to turn around due to flight restrictions in the area, but I never lost sight of the bird.
2017-6-9
Use props
Mark Dickinson
lvl.1
Flight distance : 30161 ft
United States

I use the Strobon ones.  They're visibile 3 miles plus. Remember you have to see them from above so many people put them on the legs. The planes are generally above you, so you would only need one. There is no specifications in the 107 about how many and colors. Just that you need to see it.

There's a coupon code of getlit
Ill have a video of the 3 mile + soon
2017-7-6
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lay the lumicube on its back (pointing straight up, and fashion a frosted "dome" to mount over the light so it is visible from 360 degrees.  Just a thought.
2017-7-6
Use props
BouldersDad
lvl.3
United States

Hey RedHotPoker,
You know of any way to make the Lume Cubes flash automatically, say once a second, without an external signal?
I couldn't find anything in the "manual" or the app itself.
Thanks.
2017-7-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules