VR headset, what to buy, plus a couple of questions.
3564 11 2016-10-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stephen_carney
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70873 ft
Australia

I would like to purchase a decent VR headset. Which is best value ?
yAlso when i use VR do I still see the images etc on my Tab 2 (my controller) , this is important to me as I want to let my friends 'fly' with the drone.

My role is to pilot the drone, there's is to fly!!!!!

How to connect the headset???

This is my dream, the 'Titanic' scene/moment for my friends.

How does the VR headset connect to the Controller???

I already have an occulus  headset for my Samsung S6

I also have Litchi.

2016-10-21
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

I use a couple of different methods.  You can get an HDMI module that goes on the back of the controller.  Then you plug the goggles into that.  You still have the display on the device as well.  I also use my Nvidia Shield tablet,  which has Hdmi output port.  So I can plug into that as well.  Lastly,  I have a VRBox that my device goes inside of.  That option lets you control camera tilt by tilting your head, using Litchi.  So, you could potentially have 2 sets of goggles and a display very easily.  Some people prefer the Headplay goggles for screen size and clarity.  I have a set of FatShark Dominator v3's and my VRBox goggles.  I also have HD Home theater glass that plug into the Hdmi output of either the Shield or the Hdmi module on the r/c.  The only option you will not have is wireless stream to the goggles.  At least not very easily, not yet anyway.  The Mavic is supposed to be getting wireless proprietary goggles soon.
2016-10-21
Use props
stephen_carney
lvl.4
Australia

thanks Kneepuck

so if i buy one of these https://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-hdmi-output-module I can use VR with the VR headset.
2016-10-21
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

ust

For the phantom 3 drone series  that will allow you to plug in an HDMI compatible VR headset....
May I ask what VR System you are looking at?
I Just bought this set a few hours ago. https://www.avegant.com/drones .... I wanted somthing that would be good enough to fly with ... however I didnt want to wear some of the huge goggles that are currently available on the market....
I have heard folks say that digital goggles like these might have a bit more latency then some of the analog offerings.
However for me it came down to the zies cinimezers and these..... I went the middle ground between the glasses and big goggles. good place to start I guess.
let me know what you go with...

2016-10-22
Use props
stephen_carney
lvl.4
Australia

Probably these http://www.mobilezap.com.au/5387 ... tphones-Reviews.htm these work with android and iphone  devices which is good as I have an iphone 7 plus on the way.

What I cannot figure out is  how does the VR signal get to the headset? is it wireless/wifi how ???
plus one of these https://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-hdmi-output-module and  I would fulfil my needs
Remember I need to have my tablet on the controller working so I can fly the drone, the vr is for a friend

2016-10-22
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

then you will have to have the hdmi module unless there is a way to get hdmi output on your tablet.  There is no wifi for the goggles.
Not on the Phantom 3 series, anyway.
2016-10-22
Use props
PartsGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 418346 ft
United States

I bought the HeadPlay goggles and HDMI boards for my P3P and P4. They work well to allow someone to watch the flight as I fly. I use a 25 foot HDMI cable to allow them to get comfortable and give me room to move around as I fly.
2016-10-22
Use props
stephen_carney
lvl.4
Australia

Ahh so the HDMI Controller is connected by taking apart the controller  ???
As this video shows.

Looks easy enough,

One question why did DJI not fit this as standard???????
2016-10-22
Use props
FuZZyPiLOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1353215 ft
Ireland

It would increase cost of product and not everyone wants it.
2016-10-23
Use props
stephen_carney
lvl.4
Australia

Fair enough
2016-10-23
Use props
stephen_carney
lvl.4
Australia

Can I use the HDMI module made for the Phantom 3 on my  Phantom 4 ?
2016-10-23
Use props
PartsGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 418346 ft
United States

stephen_carney@ Posted at 2016-10-23 07:08
Can I use the HDMI module made for the Phantom 3 on my  Phantom 4 ?

Yes, when you go to the DJI store you'll see that the module is the same for the P3P and the P4.
On edit: You'll also need two HDMI to mini HDMI adapters. The HeadPlay connection is pretty deep so get the kind that is 6"-12" long.
2016-10-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules