How Product Shipping Works
2735 8 2016-10-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

I know everyone, with myself included, is anxiously awaiting the delivery of their Mavic, but if you live in the US, don't expect it for a while.

Here are some examples for context.
1) I order an LG 3D Bluray player from Amazon. my payment is confirmed, and the items is shipped from the nearest warehouse, meaning, the order is boxed, and loaded onto a UPS truck and I receive it 2 to 4 days later.
2) I order some DHS or Nitaku ping pong balls from Amazon at a low price, and is ships directly from China and takes 2 to 3 weeks to arrive, via mail.
Example 1 is how most orders work, because I am ordering an inventoried product. Why does this not ship directly from it's overseas manufacturer? In a word. COST.

It would NOT be cost effective for DJI to ship each unit from China to your home. They would never do that. That's not how it works.

DJI will manufacture 10's of thousands of these units (Mavic drones). They will leave the manufacturing facility and end up in cargo containers, and from there, likely be put on a ship, destined for the US. This boat ride will take a couple weeks. Then, the freight is transferred to train or truck, and is transported to the DJI warehouse in the US, or directly to an Amazon or Apple warehouse. From there, each order is fullfilled, just as in example #1 above. Now, if you live in another country, the process may simply be truck, if you are within a resonable distance from China. It's all based on the most cost effective transport method.

DJI talked about some delays in shipping. It was clear that these were delays in shipping from China, or possibly in manufacturing. But regardless, that means that when they say, "The first batch of Mavic drones has shipped", they mean, shipped from the factory. But it still has to go through the process above.

I ordered my Mavic from Amazon on October 5th, but, let's say that I was one of the first 1000 direct orders from DJI... I would not be expecting to see a tracking number until it was transferred from a domestic warehouse to either FedEx or UPS. I would not be expecting to see this tracking number until the first week of November. And... I would not expect to actually have my Mavic in hand until a few days after that. My estimate for the first Mavic delivery to a US consumer until some time between Nov 7 and Nov 18. And I don't expect to get mine until some time between November 21 and Dec 2.

None of the above is verified or necessarily fact, but it is based on reasonable business practices, and how all other product comes from overseas. I would rather be proven wrong, and people start getting their Mavics in the US much sooner, but I honestly think the above are reasonable estimates.

This much IS fact. DJI is the true pioneer of drone technology. The Mavic is just more proof of that. We also know that an Inspire 2 is on the way. The rate they are advancing leaves little to no hope for any competition, when you consider the P4 was launched less than a year ago. This kind of advancent is made possible by a high volume of revenue sales. They could not develop new product without the customers that support them.

I would really like to see all the hate for DJI stop. You can't want the product that badly and be hateful of the company that is providing it. I think everyone is so excited about getting the new Mavic that they dont' take the time so understand what it takes to make one, and the journey that it will take from the factory to your door. Many are blaming DJI for the wait, or saying that they lied. In the end, DJI was a week late in shipping the first batch, which is not a crime. Could they have been more transparent with the customers about what was happening? Yes, yes, yes. They SHOULD have been more transparent. But this is also expected from a company that is known for only 2 things. Great products and horrible customer service. I see their products get better and better over time, but sadly, it seems their customer service is actually getting worse. I hope they realize this is a major issue, and use some of the Mavic revenue to improve in this area.

In conclusion, I hope this post is well received, and not just be contradicted and bashes by all the haters. But keep in mine, you will not get any response from me on this thread. I stand by my view of the situation. I hope we ALL get our Mavics as soon as possible.

2016-10-22
Use props
Travis199
lvl.3
Flight distance : 144039 ft

Sorry but your incorrect. Items ARE shipping direct from china via Air
2016-10-22
Use props
Travis199
lvl.3
Flight distance : 144039 ft

And for the record. I've got my tracking number and my mavic will be in my hands on Wednesday
2016-10-22
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

If they want to stop the hate they should start doing things they say there going to do. I know that with the mavic they didn't want people to buy the karma so they announced it early and it worked. DJI is holding onto millions of dollars of people money that could have went toward the purchase of karma. This kind of delay happens with almost every product that DJI releases. I purchased the mavic combo on the assumption that they had learned there lesson over all the other botched launches, apparently they did not. Next time they should make sure the have everything lined up before announcement.
2016-10-22
Use props
gckless
lvl.2

United States

Lol you must have missed all the people with tracking numbers.
2016-10-22
Use props
zfdtruckman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1348 ft

I think I'll just rely on what I hear from DJI or one of their employees that are on the forums.  Anyone who is just speculating without actual information from the company is just adding to the furor of those little children waiting for their new toy.  Enough whining and crying going on already, please don't add to it.
2016-10-22
Use props
hwkidd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22877 ft
United States

HMM,   Order on  9/27    shipping notice on 9/21   conformation on 9/22 with tracking number scheduled for deliver on 26th   I would say that's not to bad,  and I am in the US
2016-10-22
Use props
Marco Cantieni
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1630453 ft

I was under the first orders of the Osmo Mobile. It came to Germany from China within 2 days.
2016-10-23
Use props
Stiga
New

United States

It depends what you are ordering I think as well.  I once ordered the Swedish Stiga ST3100.  Not it's not a camera.  It's ping pong table.  It took a month to arrive and I spent the weekend setting it up.  Though, I am enjoying playing in the table.  Sometimes, if it's an item is heavy it can't fly like a ping pong ball and get here in one day.
2018-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules