Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone registration in Canada (FAA?)
10356 10 2016-10-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Richard-Mavic P
lvl.3
Flight distance : 44797 ft
Canada

hello. I'm living in Canada, just ordered my magic pro. First drone ever, before I can fly it in Canada, Do I need to do any registration? Like FAA in U.S. ?
What if I go visit US with my drone for few days? Do I have to do a registration on FAA before I departure?
2016-10-22
Use props
Lepus
lvl.4

Canada

In Canada if you are flying the drone for recreational purposes, you do not need any special permit.  But you do have certain rules to follow.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilav ... safely-legally.html

Definitely look at the Do's and Don'ts

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilav ... legally.html#flying

You can always email Civil Aviation Services Atlantic - Services aviation civile atlantique [url=]CASA-SACA@tc.gc.ca[/url]

Here are the Do's

Do:            
  •                 Fly your drone during daylight and in good weather (not in clouds or fog).
  •                 Keep your drone in sight, where you can see it with your own eyes – not only through an on-board camera, monitor or smartphone.
  •                 Make sure your drone is safe for flight before take-off. Ask yourself, for example, are the batteries fully charged? Is it too cold to fly?
  •                 Know if you need to apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC).
  •                 Respect the privacy of others – avoid flying over private property or taking photos or videos without permission.

Here are the Don'ts:
Don’t fly:            
  •                 closer than nine km (five nm) from any aerodrome (i.e. airport, heliport, helipad or seaplane base, etc.)               
  •                 higher than 90 metres (300 feet) above the ground               
  •                 closer than 150 metres (500 feet) from people, animals, buildings, structures, or vehicles               
  •                 in populated areas or near large groups of people, including sporting events, concerts, festivals, and firework shows               
  •                 near moving vehicles, highways, bridges, busy streets, or anywhere you could endanger or distract drivers               
  •                 within restricted and controlled airspace, including near or over military bases, prisons, and forest fires               
  •                 anywhere you may interfere with first responders

Basically fly smart not stupid.  You do stupid stuff, and the government will start placing more restrictions on the hobby.

2016-10-22
Use props
still waiting..
lvl.3
United States

Lepus Posted at 2016-10-22 15:02
In Canada if you are flying the drone for recreational purposes, you do not need any special permit. ...

Hmm... it's hard to find a place with no animals within 150m, did they mean mammals or fish counts too?
2016-10-22
Use props
Lepus
lvl.4

Canada

I'm pretty sure you are supposed to use common sense.  Basically no flying over populated areas where you can cause harm to others.  But hey if you want to call them or email them, and ask the questions by all means.
2016-10-22
Use props
candreas7163
lvl.3

Canada

Lepus Posted at 2016-10-23 03:02
In Canada if you are flying the drone for recreational purposes, you do not need any special permit. ...

Unfortunately proposed new 2017 drone regulations in Canada are likely going to drastically change all that. Unless your drone weighs less than 250 grams, even purely recreational users are going to be in for major restrictions. Just what those restrictions will be currently is unclear (but will include age restrictions and manditory liability insurance) but I expect Transport Canada will want to make them severe enough to actively discourage recreational use. Such is the will of governments around the world.
2016-10-23
Use props
Lepus
lvl.4

Canada

candreas7163 Posted at 2016-10-23 23:59
Unfortunately proposed new 2017 drone regulations in Canada are likely going to drastically change  ...

I don't think these are all bad. Basically they are adding, training, licensing, and insurance.  All of which are required for driving a vehicle, and drones are just a remote vehicle.
If you want to be part of the changes go here: http://www.gazette.gc.ca/cg-gc/lm-sp-eng.html

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec- ... Type=1&lang=eng
Removing the regulatory distinction between recreational and non-recreational users.
 Exclusion to be made for modelling associations with robust safety guidelines. Introducing an “unregulated” category with a threshold of 250 g or less.
 Reducing the “very small” weight threshold to 1 kg based on a risk assessments, safety analysis and ongoing research.
 Marking and registration now for “small complex” only. Identification for other regulated categories.
 UAV Design Standard now for “small complex” only (higher risk environments).
 Pilot permit requirement for “small complex” UAVs. Knowledge requirements for “very small” and “small limited” UAVs commensurate to category.
 Adjusting minimum age requirements to mirror manned aviation licensing requirements.
 Regulating some tethered UAVs as obstacles and not regulating indoor operations.
 Requiring liability insurance for all categories of UAVs.
Transport Canada would like to reiterate that these are only proposed changes and are not yet currently in place. The formal consultation period along with the actual text of the proposed regulations will be communicated to all stakeholders for
2016-10-23
Use props
Mayoo
First Officer
Flight distance : 299708 ft
Canada

Yes currently nothing changed.. in the future may be but nothing like Sweden where they are banning the drones with camera overall !!! ..

Fly safe and Fly by rules ..
2016-10-23
Use props
candreas7163
lvl.3

Canada

Thanks for the details Lepus. As I understand it, Transport Canada has already changed their "very small" drone weight category from 1 kg to 250 grams. Wouldn't want something like the Mavic to escape new regs. User education is generally a good thing but I expect the impetus for these proposals is really coming from the insurance companies. Drone liability insurance is very hard to get currently and very expensive. Making it mandatory will be ... interesting.
2016-10-23
Use props
Lepus
lvl.4

Canada

Actually the law doesn't change till they bring in the new requirements, and that won't be till spring of 2017, but they still have to do consultations on it.  This is off the official Transport Canada website: Do you fly your drone for fun? Does it weigh 35 kg or less? If you answered yes to both questions, you do not need special permission to fly. However, you are still responsible for being safe at all times. Not doing so can put lives, aircraft, and property at risk.

Government will have to mandate drone insurance and that too will also be regulated.  Plus the police have no idea how to deal with these things as of yet.

http://www.insuranceinstitute.ca ... ly/0815-drones.aspx
2016-10-23
Use props
Cactus Bert
lvl.4

Canada

Lepus Posted at 2016-10-23 10:35
Actually the law doesn't change till they bring in the new requirements, and that won't be till spri ...

Thank you Lepus,
At this time, the regulatory exemptions (exemption for under 2 kg / exemption for 2 kg to 25 kg) remain valid and will be updated prior to their current expiry date of December 16, 2016. For those that cannot meet the conditions of the exemptions, until such time as the final regulations are published, you can apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate.
2016-10-23
Use props
70challenger
lvl.4
Canada

Here is the link for finding out if you need permission to fly and as of now if your UAV is less than 25 kg and you read and meet the exemption conditions, you are good to go.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/docum ... ansports-canada.pdf
2016-10-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules