Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Aerial Mapping
1628 4 2016-10-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
James Young
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1085049 ft
Australia

Has anyone here had any experience using their drone to do aerial mapping, and subsequently had their data uploaded to Google Earth?
I've experimented with a few after-market apps like "Commander" and "Litchi" to create flight plans to capture the vertical photography of an area I'm interested in.
Now I'd like to provide the imgery to Google Earth so the mapping available in my area is in higher resolution (and much more recent) than is currently provided by Google.
Google does have an "Imagery Partner Program" http://maps.google.com/help/maps/mapcontent/imagery/ but the formats they ask for don't seem to be compatible with what we capture with our DJI drones. Assuming that we capture sequential, vertical photography at a constant (legal) height, does anyone have any insight as to how this data can be used by Google?

I would assume that "crowdsourcing" aerial photography would provide Google with an enormous amount of recent, hi-res data.
Maybe DJI could even encorporate a mapping function within the DJI Go app.

In Australia, I'm limited to operating at 400 feet (122 metres) above ground level.  At this height, I can survey about two square kilometres per battery using a Phantom.

Since the photography would be provided to Google free of charge, I assume that this wouldn't be viewed as a commercial operation.
2016-10-22
Use props
superjet96
lvl.4
Flight distance : 142743 ft
United States

Google would be using it to make money in the end.
2016-10-23
Use props
Logger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

Why would you care if it is commercial ?
2016-10-23
Use props
Lepus
lvl.4

Canada

Logger Posted at 2016-10-23 19:28
Why would you care if it is commercial ?

Commercial drone laws require special permits in some areas.
2016-10-23
Use props
Logger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

Yes the OP is in Australia where the Mavic falls in the Very Small RPA category. If he operates it commercially, so long as he complies with Standard Operating Conditions, he does not need a licence or a permit or authorisation. Just needs to tell the authority where he/she intends to operate it commercially, that's all.  
2016-10-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules