Controller/Antenna Upgrade vs Buy New Controller
4260 7 2015-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bugman
New

United States

I've been reading the threads about upgrading the antenna system... debating on whether the best option (considering performance, cost, & ease) is to try the Stage-2 kit from FPVLR.COM or just buy a new controller that already has similar capabilities.

I haven't looked for new controllers yet, but I'm guessing there are some that have similar capabilities out of the box??

My goal is to increase both bird control range and FPV range without doing any mods to the bird side at this point (that may come later).

Also I'd LIKE to keep the transmitter footprint as "normal" as possible (not crazy about all the extra pieces hanging off the controller if goal can be acheived without it).

Any thoughts & advice are appreciated!

bugman

OH, and I have the P2V+ v3.0....
2015-2-3
Use props
swomilan.email
lvl.4

Mexico

For the controller you are limited due to use of the 5.8 GHz instead of the RC standard 2.4GHz.
The antenna arrays work to get more distance but they also may get you unwanted attention especially if authorities want to crack down on multicopter use and looking for excuses to shut you down and those antenna arrays are not FCC or CE certified thus they could get you nailed for use of illegal radio equipment.
Just food for thought
2015-2-3
Use props
bugman
New

United States

So, are you saying ALL these add-on antennas are illegal, and suggesting they are gonna cause us all problems?  

Or that just SOME of the add-on antennas are illegal (if not FCC or CE approved)?  

Sorry if I am just asking for a restatement of the obvious, but... I want to be SURE I am understanding you correctly!
2015-2-3
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

In the US the FCC has full control over any radio frequency emitting device even to the point of ensuring devices don't emit RF waves that shouldn't. Some people on here might be old enough to remember when the FCC required you to pay $20 for a seven year Class C license in order to fly R/C model airplanes.
2015-2-3
Use props
swomilan.email
lvl.4

Mexico

bugman Posted at 2015-2-4 03:47
So, are you saying ALL these add-on antennas are illegal, and suggesting they are gonna cause us all ...

Yep they are illegal since you'll exceed the legal EIRP furthermore the FCC numbers that are on your Phantom and TX are null and void with any modifications that are done to the TX and/or RX.
2015-2-3
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

So after all this talk about whether or not is "legal" to modify antennas what was the verdict about buying a new radio.  

BTW-Bugman, have you seen a radio you are interested in?
2015-2-3
Use props
swomilan.email
lvl.4

Mexico

acenothing Posted at 2015-2-4 08:57
So after all this talk about whether or not is "legal" to modify antennas what was the verdict about ...

There are no name brand good 5.8 GHz Radios out there that I know of, that is something rather DJI specific.  You could change to the standards P2 2.4 GHz receiver and with it you can use a good FUTABA FASST radio  but you'd get interference with the 2.4GHz FPV so no good unless you change your FPV to 5.8 GHz which would mean you can't use the Vision App anymore. Soooooo......
2015-2-3
Use props
bugman
New

United States

I'm getting a headache...

All I wanted to do was fly my Phantom!!!  
2015-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules