Which android phone?
1429 6 2016-10-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
anthonyellison7
New

United Kingdom

H everyone, which andrioid phone will work best with the mavic controller, is there a certain size that wont fit etc?
2016-10-23
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

All documentation available says that the phone cannot be more than 160mm long, and that it must run a minimum version of android, which is a pretty old version that few should still be running. I have used an LG G4 and Nexus 6p with DJI GO without any issues at all. Since it's the same software for the Mavic, I have no worries. The Pixel phones are not specifically named, because they are just too new to have been properly tested, but I am certain they will work. I have heard of compatibility issues with newer Samsung phones, but you are just going to get that with Samsung, because they are Samsung, and those issues will likely be fixed. The only real issue more people are going to have is the thickness. You simply cannot put a phone in an Otter Box and expect it to fit in those controller handle slots. The cover may need to be removed. I never use a cover (I have never broken a phone in a drop, since my first StarTak), so it's not really an issue for me. I think of it kinda like seat covers... Why cover nice seats with seat covers? Cover them up when they no longer look nice!
2016-10-23
Use props
CheckYourSix
lvl.2

United States

We need DJI to tell us definitively that the mavic will work with Nougat Android 7.0+
2016-10-23
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I don't mean to rain on the parade here...  But I have been a DJI user for several years since the Phantom 2.  I currently own several Android devices.  I also own Apple devices.  What I can honestly say is that the DJI Go app has consistently performed much better for me on Apple devices running iOS.  DJI also seems to maintain and launch new features sooner on the iOS version of the app.  (Android follows weeks later...)  And from what I read on the forums over the years has convinced me that other DJI owners seem to have more issues running DJI Go on Android devices.  Perhaps it's because there are so many varieties of hardware and different versions of OEM Android running on those devices?  Not sure.  But I definitely see many more posts from people complaining about problems running DJI Go on Android devices than iOS.

I am not trying to say that Apple devices are better.  (I really like the Nvidia Shield Tablets...)  I am just trying to offer my observations and personal experience with my own devices.  If you have a choice...  I would recommend running the DJI Go app on an iOS device.  You will see all of the latest software updates 2-4 weeks sooner on iOS than they are available on Android and you will probably have a better experience overall.
2016-10-23
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357169 ft
Denmark

CheckYourSix Posted at 2016-10-23 21:22
We need DJI to tell us definitively that the mavic will work with Nougat Android 7.0+

I have the app runing on my Nexus 5X with Nougat 7.0. Seems to work fine, but I don't have my Mavic yet, so of course that part of the app has not yet been tested.
But if there are problems with Android Nougat, I'm sure it will be high on DJI's priority list to fix.
BTW, I have also ordered a Google Pixel (with Android Nougat 7.1). So I expect it will work with that one too :-)
2016-10-23
Use props
Riotcontrol
lvl.3
United States

I currently have an s6 edge but i'm thinking about upgrading to something alittle bigger.
2016-10-23
Use props
sandgrownun
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45187 ft

I have just been reading reviews on the play store and it seems that a recent upgrade to DJI Go app for the Mavic has caused serious issues for Samsung S7 users and some other devices. May be worth reviewing that. I currently have an S6 but have some older devices I may dedicate for my Mavic when it comes.
2016-10-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules