Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Mobile Honest Opinions
5795 35 2016-10-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SocalBurt
lvl.1

United States

I just wanted to ask the community their honest opinions on the Osmo Mobile. I had the Osmo Mobile and some accesories in my cart over at the DJI store but now after reading the many reviews and videos across the internet (more bad than good) I want to hear from some actual owners and if there is any buyers remorse.

So is the Osmo Mobile crippled by bad software? or is it not meant to handle the size of an iPhone 7 Plus? Or both? Also to the owners are you getting good support on your issues with the unit from the manufacturer? I'm intending to pair this with an iphone 7 plus.

As for now i cleared my cart until i gather more info and see if its worth dropping my hard earned money on this. I just want to make an educated purchase and not feel like i'm taking a gamble on something. I can't afford to have bad footage. In my opinion it goes both ways....Just like bad reviews hurt DJI's reputation, Well bad word of mouth from my clients can do the same and hurt my business causing me loss of money. I just wanto to make sure i'm not getting something with lots of growing pains.
Thanks in advance!

2016-10-23
Use props
Nick Martin
lvl.3

United Kingdom

My honest opinion is...

It's a great device but the DJI GO software is complete rubbish ( for osmo mobile ). They need to improve this software urgently as quite frankly it's not ready for release and it should be a source of massive embarrassment for DJI.

I'm using a Samsung S7 Edge with my Osmo with no problems and getting great results, but using it with either my phones native camera app or filmic pro.

Solid device, shocking DJI software.
2016-10-23
Use props
Jimmyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9987 ft
United Kingdom

If you own an iPhone 7 or 7 plus, there are a number of issues which affect the usability of the Osmo which you'll find plenty of threads on here. Mine went back as faulty and I was going to exchange it, but as I have an iPhone 7, I'll be getting a refund which I'm really disappointed about as was looking forward to using the Osmo mobile.
2016-10-24
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

What device are you using or you plan to use? That's a critical question when you consider Osmo Mobile.
2016-10-24
Use props
bleyten
lvl.3

I agree with Nick, the DJI Go app is beyond crap however the Osmo itself is great and works fantastic as a stabilizer using the camera native app. I've used it with the Note 7 and the Nexus 5x. I love it, no buyers remorse here.
2016-10-24
Use props
SocalBurt
lvl.1

United States

Great Feedback! I agree the Osmo Mobile looks like a quality piece of equipment. Once gathering some more opinions and perhaps read more reviews i will make my decision to buy one or not. The iphone 7 plus is a big phone and heavy without a case on it, i was lucky enough to pick one up on the release day. If the Osmo can handle this phone without the physical shaking like i've seen on some videos i suppose i could live with using the Native apple app in the short term instead of the DJI GO App.
2016-10-24
Use props
Jimmyb
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I think out of all the various handsets, the iPhone 7 plus is the worst for the Osmo mobile. Perhaps they'll be able to fix the current version, but I suspect not.
2016-10-24
Use props
bleyten
lvl.3

SocalBurt Posted at 2016-10-25 00:51
Great Feedback! I agree the Osmo Mobile looks like a quality piece of equipment. Once gathering some ...

I don't think the weight or size of the iPhone 7+ is the problem. I think it's with the iPhone's OIS. The Osmo Mobile had no problem balancing the Note 7 which is similar weight.
2016-10-24
Use props
J.B.
New

United States

My personal opinion: If using it with an iPhone 7+, I would wait until DJI fixes the issues.  I'm running the Osmo Mobile with the latest firmware that came out a few days ago, and running the latest iOS 10 and DJI Go app version.  I like the hardware, but the hardware is not that much better than the "dumb" gimbals put out by others.  I bought mine to get the advantage of software control, especially for time-lapse and subject tracking.  The DJI Go app does not put out good video, so I basically spent a ~20% premium over other non-connected gimbals for nothing.  The bluetooth connection tends to drop out 1 out of every 10 sessions (I typically record 3 minutes at a time).  The worry over which shot is going to have the Osmo Mobile stop responding turns using it from fun into a chore.

I find the weight isn't an issue (iPhone 7+ is 188 grams, the iPhone 6S+ is 192 grams).  If I use the stock iOS camera app in video mode I don't get any video stuttering, but the DJI Go app has lots.  I get the dropped frames in both 1080 and 4K modes using the DJI Go app.  Plus it's extra steps to get videos into the iOS camera roll with the DJI Go app, and means each video takes up 2x the storage space (one for the DJI app, one for the Camera roll).  I haven't yet tested if the Filmic pro app can fix the stuttering issue.  But right now I have buyers remorse.

Not trying to be negative, just giving my experience so far since having it for 4 days.
2016-10-24
Use props
zoti
lvl.4
Flight distance : 101526 ft
United States

I agree about the GO app. It needs more work and optimization. I don't think it can currently handle all that is is required to do.
2016-10-24
Use props
SocalBurt
lvl.1

United States

zoti Posted at 2016-10-24 17:18
I agree about the GO app. It needs more work and optimization. I don't think it can currently handle ...

So is the DJI Go App the same one used for the drones?
2016-10-24
Use props
zoti
lvl.4
Flight distance : 101526 ft
United States

SocalBurt Posted at 2016-10-24 22:13
So is the DJI Go App the same one used for the drones?

yes. it is the same app.
2016-10-25
Use props
Pablito
lvl.1

Germany

Attention! The Osmo Mobile looks solid on the first view. But it isn't at all! Be very careful when using it!
Mine broke apart easily, as I tried to shift the arm in order to balance the phone. The phone with the part of the arm fell to the ground. Fortunately the 700 Euro Phone did not break, everything is fine (good quality), but I was really really astonished to see what poor quality was the gimbal. It's made of cast-alloy (is the expression right? In German: Aluminiumguß), the production is very cheap and the material breakes without any advance-warning. And the arm is hollow and at the place where it broke only two sides are metal and the other ones don't exist. That's a "predetermined breaking point" (Sollbruchstelle)!!! And it's not the only one.... My feeling was, that it would be rugged, but the reality is: It is VERY fragile!

On the other hand I realized that there is something in the metal of the arm, that does not belong to it. You can recognize it easily because of its yellow colour. What is that? On one part of the arm you can see it, on the other one not! It surely helped to break at that point.

Does anybody know where I must send it now?
B-12610.jpg
B-12611.jpg
2016-10-31
Use props
operator
New

United States

going into purchasing the osmo mobile, i knew the limitations of it, especially after all those videos about the iphone 7 plus. i get it, but is the video quality horrible? no, i can still take some good quality shots with the osmo mobile.

active track is good but not great, there are some limitations to it and rightfully so. i actually like the app because it is easy to use and you can navigate to menus easily.  i don't know anything about build quality, but i've been using the gimbal for about 1 week and so far, no damages.

what i don't like about the gimbal is the charging cable, does it work? yes. but it just takes way too long. maybe i'll spend some money on the charging docks and extra batteries, but i just don't like the charging cable.

i don't have any video taking experience so i had to and still do have to get use to the gimbal and it's limitations. but i think it is good enough for some amateur shoots and the video quality will have to depend on your phone.

2016-10-31
Use props
stavrossid
lvl.1
Flight distance : 334570 ft

The most weird think is that all the video tutorials that Dji uses have the IPhone 6s Plus which has the OIS problem....
2016-10-31
Use props
fans7828433b
lvl.1
Sweden

I have the SmoothC gimbal but bought the Osmo mobile (because I "was" a DJI fanboy). Unfortuneatly I have to say that the much cheaper SmoothC is in overall better. It lacks the tracking features but it feels more of a gimmick. The way you place Osmo on a tripod is just plain stupid. There is no batterycharger included?! The batteries are very expensive.

Still the Osmo do a great job as a stabilizer but you could get that for half of the price, with better quality.

When I purchased my DJI Phantom 4 I was amazed by the value and quality. I love my ronin. But the OSMO tarnished the DJI glory.
2016-11-1
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

Pablito Posted at 2016-10-31 10:53
Attention! The Osmo Mobile looks solid on the first view. But it isn't at all! Be very careful when  ...

Hi, the yellow stains means it's oxidized. If you expose it to the air after it broke, it will show like this.  
Or it looks like this when it broke?

Do you mean your Osmo Mobile's arm broke without any impact?
2016-11-1
Use props
Pablito
lvl.1

Germany

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-2 08:59
Hi, the yellow stains means it's oxidized. If you expose it to the air after it broke, it will show ...

Hi,

I don't think its oxidation. Alloy does not do that. If it would be oxidation, the whole surface would be like that. The Gimbal broke without impact, it happened as I tried to move the arm to another position in order zu balance the phone on the gimbal. My feeling is, that the yellow part in the metal is a piece of slag from the alloy-production. As you can see, the rest of the surface where it's broken does not show that colour, and it hat another texture.
Generally the material they use and the kind of construction is too weak. It's very cheap to produce, but it is definitively not suitable for such a light construction. Look how thin the walls are, and they are just on two sides. It's not a tube...

The service did not respond, so I don't know where to send it. I did not even get a bill from the Dji store.
2016-11-2
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

Pablito Posted at 2016-11-2 05:32
Hi,

I don't think its oxidation. Alloy does not do that. If it would be oxidation, the whole surf ...

You can contact email via www.dji.com/support and send it in.
2016-11-2
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

Pablito Posted at 2016-11-2 05:32
Hi,

I don't think its oxidation. Alloy does not do that. If it would be oxidation, the whole surf ...

Hi, can you click the "reply" button and tell me an email number so we can contact you?

We'll need this broken Osmo Mobile and will look into this issue to make sure you have a satisfied experience.   Please collect all the broken pieces (it seems like a short part of the arm is missing in the picture.)
2016-11-3
Use props
Pablito
lvl.1

Germany

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-3 11:14
Hi, can you click the "reply" button and tell me an email number so we can contact you?

We'll nee ...

I would prefer to send a PM, but I cannot see the link . Don't want to see my adress in a public thread...
2016-11-3
Use props
fans23de4289
lvl.1

Brazil

In short terms, DONT BUY OSMO MOBILE. You will be able to use only with old phones. The news one will get OIS, and Osmo Mobile does not work well with that. So, run away. They don't say that before you buy, you discover later. And all the DJI says is: sorry.
2016-11-3
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

Pablito Posted at 2016-11-4 05:39
I would prefer to send a PM, but I cannot see the link . Don't want to see my adress in a public th ...

Sorry, we dont' have a PM function in this forum. You can register a temporary email, or your backup email and reply to me. And I'll delete it once I see it.
2016-11-3
Use props
Jimmyb
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fans23de4289 Posted at 2016-11-4 03:38
In short terms, DONT BUY OSMO MOBILE. You will be able to use only with old phones. The news one wil ...

I didn't even get an apology after finding that the Osmo mobile doesn't work with iPhone 7.
The general line seems to be that its your fault for buying a phone with OIS and DJI never said that it would work with all phones. (Well, they pretty much did as long as it fitted within the stated dimensions....) and what with all the marketing videos featuring an iphone 6+ which has OIS, one could argue that DJI have been incredibly misleading in their advertising.
I would be happy to accept the position that has been previously stated that they didn't know how the Osmo mobile would work with the new iphones, but a) they featured the Osmo mobile working with iphone 6 + which has the same problem and b) have they updated their advertising with a disclaimer that the users experiences will vary depending on what phone they use? Yeah right

Oh and don't try and use a phone which isn't brightly coloured as the phone 'sensor' won't actually 'sense' it!

2016-11-4
Use props
mboh
New

Australia

"Oh and don't try and use a phone which isn't brightly coloured as the phone 'sensor' won't actually 'sense' it!"

^^^ HuH??? I missed this, what does this mean? Could you please elaborate?
2016-11-4
Use props
Jimmyb
lvl.4
United Kingdom

mboh Posted at 2016-11-4 16:07
"Oh and don't try and use a phone which isn't brightly coloured as the phone 'sensor' won't actually ...

the Osmo mobile has a sensor which can tell if a phone is mounted before attempted to stabilise. I think it's there to stop the motors getting damaged trying to stabilise a gimbal when there's nothing there.
However, there have been numerous cases where users have found that the sensor won't detect the phone and in the majority of cases it has been because the phone was dark in colour or a dark coloured case was being used. A silver iphone seems to work ok, but a black/grey one does not.
Advice seems to be to cover the sensor with tape - an elegant solution to the problem!
I think they've updated the android Go app to be able to disable the phone sensor but not iOS yet unless there's been a recent update.

2016-11-4
Use props
MightyMoze2020
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1292067 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here it is halfway through 2017 and the Osmo software is still useless.   I'm pretty sure that the guy with the broken gimbal arm threw his on the ground like I did.  Mine survived one throw....but it definitely won't survive the next....which is going into the river, battery and all.  I am greatly, greatly disappointed in this product, especially the software and the non-existant product support.
2017-6-12
Use props
DTK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

I have bought Osmo Pro for AUD3000 thinking it is  a pro product. Later I find out, it is nothing but the most basic gimbal camera. When it split video into 4G file size, there is serious frame loss issue and cannot be jointly simlessly. This issue occurs since day 1 for all Osmo and Inspire 1 camera. Now, it has been over 2 years, no FW update to fix the issue, no DJI acknowledgement of the issue either. Apparently for new Inspire 2, P4P, mavice and P4 Advance, this issue seems to be fixed. I don't want to say anymore, I don't think it will change anything by DJI.
2017-6-12
Use props
ronaldbob
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26611 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DTK Posted at 2017-6-12 21:07
I have bought Osmo Pro for AUD3000 thinking it is  a pro product. Later I find out, it is nothing but the most basic gimbal camera. When it split video into 4G file size, there is serious frame loss issue and cannot be jointly simlessly. This issue occurs since day 1 for all Osmo and Inspire 1 camera. Now, it has been over 2 years, no FW update to fix the issue, no DJI acknowledgement of the issue either. Apparently for new Inspire 2, P4P, mavice and P4 Advance, this issue seems to be fixed. I don't want to say anymore, I don't think it will change anything by DJI.

The original osmo mobile software is very bad. Buth with using using this gimbal with my iphone 7plus and the app pro cam I am getting very nice results even in 1K as 4K. No problems
2017-6-13
Use props
Ziny Barber
New
New Zealand

Pablito Posted at 2016-10-31 06:53
Attention! The Osmo Mobile looks solid on the first view. But it isn't at all! Be very careful when using it!
Mine broke apart easily, as I tried to shift the arm in order to balance the phone. The phone with the part of the arm fell to the ground. Fortunately the 700 Euro Phone did not break, everything is fine (good quality), but I was really really astonished to see what poor quality was the gimbal. It's made of cast-alloy (is the expression right? In German: Aluminiumguß), the production is very cheap and the material breakes without any advance-warning. And the arm is hollow and at the place where it broke only two sides are metal and the other ones don't exist. That's a "predetermined breaking point" (Sollbruchstelle)!!! And it's not the only one.... My feeling was, that it would be rugged, but the reality is: It is VERY fragile!

My Osmo Mobile has just broken much like yours. Did you get any help from DJI about this?
2017-6-14
Use props
DTK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

Ziny, if yours just broke without any improper use, for sure, it is claimable under warranty or product defect clause.
So contact DJI and make a claim.
2017-6-14
Use props
Carnage808
lvl.1
Flight distance : 21893 ft
United States

Nick Martin Posted at 2016-10-23 23:48
My honest opinion is...

It's a great device but the DJI GO software is complete rubbish ( for osmo mobile ). They need to improve this software urgently as quite frankly it's not ready for release and it should be a source of massive embarrassment for DJI.

Filmic Pro could not let me film using 1080P@60
Their tech support blamed Samsung camera software.

I had to refund the software since it was unusable.

2017-6-14
Use props
Guiller
lvl.1

Philippines

I had purchased mine some weeks ago and after a few uses I noticed the arm is slightly bent. See my post 'Osmo Mobile Slightly Bent Arm - Build Quality Issue?'. Before I bought it I was impressed with the things I hear and see in youtube and all. I was comparing it with the Zhiyun Smooth Q which is half the price compared to the osmo mobile but still does the same thing. Now I am disappointed with my purchase since the reason for me choosing Osmo mobile was because of the build quality. I should have just saved the extra $100 and got the Smooth Q. Also the smooth Q comes with a better carrying case that'll protect the gimbal, unlike DJI's softcase which opens up the chance for accidents.
2017-9-11
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Guiller Posted at 2017-9-11 16:52
I had purchased mine some weeks ago and after a few uses I noticed the arm is slightly bent. See my post 'Osmo Mobile Slightly Bent Arm - Build Quality Issue?'. Before I bought it I was impressed with the things I hear and see in youtube and all. I was comparing it with the Zhiyun Smooth Q which is half the price compared to the osmo mobile but still does the same thing. Now I am disappointed with my purchase since the reason for me choosing Osmo mobile was because of the build quality. I should have just saved the extra $100 and got the Smooth Q. Also the smooth Q comes with a better carrying case that'll protect the gimbal, unlike DJI's softcase which opens up the chance for accidents.

Sorry for your case, hope it will be solved quickly. I would transfer your opinion to designated department and make improvement in the future.
2017-9-12
Use props
fansd1811257
New
Singapore

Mine broke too, luckily for my phone, I managed to catch it before it lands on the road
2018-2-7
Use props
Ziny Barber
New
New Zealand

DTK Posted at 2017-6-14 17:49
Ziny, if yours just broke without any improper use, for sure, it is claimable under warranty or product defect clause.
So contact DJI and make a claim.

Hi DTK, thank you for your post last year, I have tried to get the retailer to sort this out, under our consumer laws they are required to help with faulty goods, but they do not believe me the device simply broke with normal use, they are accusing me of misuse. Still trying to get this sorted! Cheers.
2018-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules