Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Gimbal Vibrates and then dies
1500 11 2016-10-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jesse.shakewell
New

United States

I had a weird experience where I was flying over water with a fresh battery / first flight of the day and only out flying for about 1 min and and all of the sudden I lost contact. I1's camera had become disconnected and the bird landed on it's own only a few feet from a cliff (which was not my home point). Gimbal was about 10ft from the bird, only two rubber mounts were missing, I found the gimbal in soft tall weeds as well as the bird which landed with only the rear shocks busted. Very little damage was done so I ordered the rubber pieces and installed and reconnected the X3 gimbal. On startup the gimbal vibrates for about 1 min and then loses connection. I'm on the latest fw for the controller and fw WM610_FW_V01.09.01.10.

I'm wondering if I installed it wrong or the gimbal is just messed up?

A video I did on a I1 Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ ... id=1477326610235378

2016-10-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry for your crash,Jesse.
There's no video in your link.
Could you please post the video link here?I'll help to check it.
2016-10-24
Use props
Rinzler
lvl.4

United States

You could of tore the ribbon cable or it is unplugged from the IMU on the gimbal. Best to have it serviced
2016-10-25
Use props
Donnie
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Did you check the wiring harness for damage inside the Nose of the aircraft ?  It would have been under alot of strain when it ripped out .  I would replace BOTH wiring harness  from the Gimbal to the aircraft at the very least , look for any damage to the wiring  insert as well.  If that does not repair it , then I would send it in . Or if you dont feel up to the task of replacing those wires then just send it in .

Also carefully look at the gimbals and camera Mating section for any bent pins or pulled wires etc.  

Did you happen to takeoff with Low battery ? That would explain  what happened.  I know you have probably heard it a thousand times , dont fly with anything less than a fully charged pack.
***Rinzler brings up another  good point about the long ribbon cable , if that is damaged also could cause problems.

I am sorry for the  controlled crash  for sure . With all the damage including the shocks, you might be just better off to send it in.

donnie
2016-10-25
Use props
jesse.shakewell
New

United States

I def took off on a fully charged battery. The gimbal became disconnected during flight and that started the chain reaction.

Update: After further inspection, the connector on the front of the nose which experienced the most strain is the only one that doesn't let the connector cable snap into place. This was the one that was holding the front weight of the gimbal until it landed.

http://i65.tinypic.com/fjn57d.png
2016-10-25
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

jesse.shakewell Posted at 2016-10-25 14:12
I def took off on a fully charged battery. The gimbal became disconnected during flight and that sta ...

I wonder why it did not come back to the home point ?  did you hear the System say  "Home Point Recorded ?"  Oh well water under the bridge.  If you are handy you could take a volt meter and test each one of the plug in black cables for continuity , all it takes is one or two to cause failure .  

Does  that front nose cone connector look bad ?  does it tilt at all , like it may have broken , If that  is any way broken it could be  real bad .  I would inspect those 2 cables with a volt meter  for continuity and repair  or just order two new ones, this would be the cheapest route to try .  I always start with the easiest things and go on to the more complicated , look at connectors very closely , use magnifying glass if necessary .

Then again , you might just want to send it in .

**** check the gimbal motors plural space and make sure no debris got in there cauing the vibration .  More than likely the Motors for the pan or tilt are broken or stripped.  

Also does ( did )  the camera give an image before it shuts down?  ( when you had it all connected of course )  If vibrating it must have damged one of the gimbal motors for the pan or tilt .
Best of luck to you .

donnie

2016-10-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

jesse.shakewell Posted at 2016-10-26 03:12
I def took off on a fully charged battery. The gimbal became disconnected during flight and that sta ...

If it doesn't want to sit back into place properly, I would recommend sending it in for repair. The North American Support team can set you up with a RMA in to have it sent in for diagnosis and get you up and running again in no time. At the moment, the average turn around time is about 1-2 weeks.
2016-10-25
Use props
jesse.shakewell
New

United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-10-26 03:49
I wonder why it did not come back to the home point ?  did you hear the System say  "Home Point Rec ...

I'm not sure if it said "Home Point Set" to be honest. I put brand new cables in and nothing changed. I luckliy had a pair of brand new ones cause I had to order some when I hit a fence and the gimbal broke off. It was a very light crash about a year ago so I know it was not from that. Front cone is is great shape. I'm getting a new gimbal tomorrow to try out. If it works then I'll stick with this setup. If not I'll have it fully repaired in CA. I did check the motor plural space and it looks good, but it could be the smallest piece of materiel that got in there. The camera did take a photo but it shows nothing. It also took video seconds before I look connection and I did notice a glitch in the video about 5 seconds before the video ends. That's all thou.
2016-10-25
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

jesse.shakewell Posted at 2016-10-25 16:59
I'm not sure if it said "Home Point Set" to be honest. I put brand new cables in and nothing chang ...

Best of Luck , I really hopes that works for you !

all the best to you and yours

donnie
2016-10-25
Use props
jesse.shakewell
New

United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-10-26 06:07
Best of Luck , I really hopes that works for you !

all the best to you and yours

It was the gimbal. I put a new one on and it works great now. Now do, I send in the old one, fix it and sell or keep it as a back up? Happy to know it's working thou
2016-10-26
Use props
Donnie
Captain
United States

jesse.shakewell Posted at 2016-10-26 15:16
It was the gimbal. I put a new one on and it works great now. Now do, I send in the old one, fix i ...

Keep it as a back up for parts , etc. glad you have it fixed

donnie
2016-10-27
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

jesse.shakewell Posted at 2016-10-27 04:16
It was the gimbal. I put a new one on and it works great now. Now do, I send in the old one, fix i ...

Good to hear you were able to find the cause, thanks for the update. You always have the option to send in the camera for service.
2016-10-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules