Attach Gimbal, DSLR and Gopro to Phantom 4. Need advice...
5754 16 2016-10-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
armin4
New

Sweden

Well, ok the this is that my company have invested in Phantom 4, dslr camera and gopro camera.
What I would like to do is to attach both cameras together with small gimbal to the drone and then fly it. Flying does not need to be so stable
since I will fly it indoors most of the time and flying never needs to go so high, just few meters or so...

I am building a simple holder for this and total weight will be around 1,5 kg, I will test with little bit more becouse I would like to use diffrent lenses.

Do you guys have any tips or advices regarding this?

I mean I have been reading that this is possible and I saw also videos on youtube where people did fly with dslr camera so I just want to know what you guys think...

2016-10-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The P4 is not designed to fly with anything as heavy as a DLSR, and you will have no video feed from it, no control over the camera. There are good reasons why people fly DSLR cameras on much larger aircraft. Also, the P4 will not be very stable flying indoors as you will not have any GPS reception to help steady it. The moment you modify the P4 you will also void your warranty.
2016-10-26
Use props
armin4
New

Sweden

I understand and i agree but this is just for simple purposes, I mean i was thinking of buying bigger aircraft but I think that this will maybe be ok for start.
I am aware of risks but I have been flying with some weight and that went quite ok... I understand that is not done for it but for what I am planning to use it for it might just work...

It would be gret if somebody have tested something like this before so we can exchange thoughts about it...
2016-10-26
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I thought it was illegal now to fly quads with cameras in Sweden

You could maybe tack something together for the DSLR but it would break the P4 I think.
2016-10-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

armin4 Posted at 2016-10-27 10:08
I understand and i agree but this is just for simple purposes, I mean i was thinking of buying bigge ...

A member on here put together a rig to carry a small compact mirrorless camera, and it did work, but it was really only able to lift the weight of that smaller camera. It was not a great success because you could not see what you are shooting. I am sticking my neck out here, But I predict you will not lift 1.5 kilos off the ground and be able to properly control the aircraft.

2016-10-26
Use props
Streetmagus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1398376 ft
United States

Watch that video. 1.5KG is too heavy.
2016-10-26
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

An SLR is great for capturing quality images but if you can't see through the lens to compose properly that defeats the whole porpose of the exercise.
To use the camera properly requires a gimbal and a big camera needs a big gimbal.
So far it's proven impossible to mount a small quality camera like a Sony RX100 and fly that under a Phantom with a proper gimbal and viewing.
An SLR?  No chance.
Drone photography is all about compromise.
We'd love bigger sensors and better lenses but the weight penalty and what that does to flight time and range is the big problem.
To fly a proper camera you need to spend a lot more.
2016-10-26
Use props
Mallettron
lvl.3
Flight distance : 82641 ft
United Kingdom

Sometimes i dispair after reading these sorts of posts
My advice to you is build your frames, attach your cameras, fly, then come back, ask a question and then follow the good advice given
2016-10-27
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I concur with the responses thus far, what you're looking to do is not feasible with the P4. You would want a slightly bigger rig for the payload you've described.
2016-10-27
Use props
Ducktape2003
lvl.1
United States

Haha. I don’t understand some people. If you don’t have the information he’s asking for or a relevant comment, why respond? Telling him it can’t be done clearly isn’t helping anyone. I didn’t read this thread to see the boring answers. I read this to see if anyone actually had any good input..

And obviously I’m sure he’s aware that he’s not going to have a live video feed. Hell, just a few years ago flying with a live feed was novel. Didn’t stop people from trying to take photos.

Armin, did you ever get this to work? I’m curious, because I’ve been considering attaching a small gimbal and camera system to my P3P as well. Nothing like a DSLR, but far better than the built-in camera that comes on the P3P.

2019-4-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Ducktape2003 Posted at 4-12 18:19
Haha. I don’t understand some people. If you don’t have the information he’s asking for or a relevant comment, why respond? Telling him it can’t be done clearly isn’t helping anyone. I didn’t read this thread to see the boring answers. I read this to see if anyone actually had any good input..

And obviously I’m sure he’s aware that he’s not going to have a live video feed. Hell, just a few years ago flying with a live feed was novel. Didn’t stop people from trying to take photos.

Armin asked this question nearly 3 years ago. He has not been back since, so it is pointless asking him a question.

And BTW, he asked about the feasibility of adding all those things to the aircraft and then asked 'Do you guys have any tips or advices regarding this'. A number of people who have good knowledge of the aircraft said it did not have the power to lift the objects described, and nothing has changed. If you think it can, then go do and show us how.
2019-4-12
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ducktape2003 Posted at 4-12 18:19

@Ducktape2003-

You revive a long-dead thread and chastise the folks that responded to it for being non-helpful, when all they did was give the original poster a (proper) reality check?
The OP was asking for advice on how to do something largely unreasonable. Folks (including a DJI rep) helped him realize that.

2 1/2 YEARS AGO.

To resurrect this thread and call out those that contributed way back then is just lame.

2019-4-12
Use props
Ducktape2003
lvl.1
United States

patiam Posted at 4-12 20:44
@Ducktape2003-

You revive a long-dead thread and chastise the folks that responded to it for being non-helpful, when all they did was give the original poster a (proper) reality check?

What’s worse, resurrecting a thread to chastise those for just adding noise, or replying to said message to chastise the chastiser?

The guy paid for his drone. If he wants to attach a giant inflatable hot dog to it, what problem is it of yours?

Let me give you a “reality check”: When someone asks a question, answer them. If you’d don’t have an answer, then don’t answer. Simple.

Does anyone on here actually have any helpful information?
2019-4-14
Use props
AtomicAdam
lvl.1
United States

Here’s an interesting video showing the carrying capacity of a P3. I own a mirror less Sony that, with a gimbal, weighs less. So, in theory, if one were to rig this correctly, it probably could be done.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZJJf93vrFA
2019-4-14
Use props
AtomicAdam
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 4-12 18:48
Armin asked this question nearly 3 years ago. He has not been back since, so it is pointless asking him a question.

And BTW, he asked about the feasibility of adding all those things to the aircraft and then asked 'Do you guys have any tips or advices regarding this'. A number of people who have good knowledge of the aircraft said it did not have the power to lift the objects described, and nothing has changed. If you think it can, then go do and show us how.

The difference is, you are speculating. When someone says, “Can I do X?” you have basically replied with, “No. I have never tried it, but I’ll tell you no because I know for sure it can’t be done. Again, I’ve never tried. But no, you can’t do that. Not only can you NOT do that, you shouldn’t even TRY.”

Do you see how this is useless to learning?

I spent five minutes googling information about a weight test and posted it.

I could not care less if this thread is three years old. I’m interested it in, so I’m going to reply to it.

Dear DJI, is this OK? Am I allowed to reply to a three year post?
2019-4-14
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

@"AtomicAdam"

So you changed your user name from Ducktape2003... Why?  Where I come from doing so in the midst of a conversation stinks of sock-puppetry. And that's generally frowned upon. Apologies if I'm wrong on your identity, but I bet I'm not.
Whatever the case, you're ignoring the fact that the long-gone OP asked advice from the other folks on this forum. And folks gave it to him, whether it was from direct experience, or their opinion (informed or otherwise), or they got it from a magic 8-ball. He asked, and they responded.

Just because you don't like the (again, 2.5 year old) advice they gave, doesn't mean it wasn't valid.

Got some evidence that anyone ever accomplished what the OP was after? Aside from some YouTubes showing "a P3 or P4 can lift this much"? Got ANY proof it can be done? I'm not saying it's absolutely impossible, but defintely impractical. And I'm confident that for what the OP wanted to do, a P4 is NOT the optimal platform.

And no, there's nothing wrong with re-opening an old thread, if you're bringing some value by doing so. I just don't think that's what you did. And once you've re-opened the can of worms, dont whine when folks tell you how they feel about it, or complain that their responses are noise (as if yours wasn't).

2019-4-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

AtomicAdam Posted at 4-14 19:22
Here’s an interesting video showing the carrying capacity of a P3. I own a mirror less Sony that, with a gimbal, weighs less. So, in theory, if one were to rig this correctly, it probably could be done.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZJJf93vrFA

So you just accept that clip as a good scientific method of working out what a P3 can lift. No scrutiny, no questions about the method, just an idiot picking up a bottle of blue water - with the engines screaming. About the least scientific exercise it is possible to do.

The difference is that I know the aircraft would perform like crap carrying that weight, because it is not designed to do it. You don't have the brains to realise that - SFB. DJI know the P4 can't do it, that's why they created the Inspire, which can.

2019-4-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules