DJI OSMO - Defective one?!
1671 21 2016-10-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rJ22r3rRPeSo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2058179 ft
Brazil

Hello, I've purchased one DJI Osmo recently and I not sure if I’ve got a defective one.

I could record some videos, but every 5 min maximum it seems that the Osmo stop working and I get the grey screen on the iPhone. When it crash, the system status indicator (right led) remains solid green, and the camera status indicator (left led) keep blinking red as recording video.

At first, I thought that it was only connection loss between Osmo and iPhone, and I kept recording without iphone display, but all videos stopped at the moment it crash/freeze.

To make it works again I have to force shut down osmo holding the power switch and start over again.

It is very annoying to restart Osmo often when you are trying to make a video from your kid. I’m always missing “the moment” when restarting osmo, and reconnecting iPhone to osmo wifi.

I’ve already tried 3 different type 10 SD Cards from SanDisk (32GB and 64GB) and 2 different iPhones (iPhone 6 and iPhone SE).

The first thing I did when Osmo arrived was update firmware to 1.8.2.40 version.

I’ve also already tried to clear/delete video cache every time before start recording, and changing Wi-Fi frequency between 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

But the problem persists.

Any ideas? I’m doing something wrong?!
2016-10-26
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, please try this, start Osmo and press the record button, and let it sit there for 10 minutes, without using the phone.

Then check out the video, if it still discontinues after 5 minutes, then the unit is defective and needs to be sent in. Please email support@dji.com

If the video is good for 10 minutes. Please clear the saved wifi password in your iPhone, and connects only to your Osmo, this time, see if it can last beyond 5 minutes. Thank you.
2016-10-26
Use props
rJ22r3rRPeSo
lvl.4
Brazil

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-27 01:48
Hi, please try this, start Osmo and press the record button, and let it sit there for 10 minutes, wi ...

Hello Thor, I tried recording without the phone and the camera status indicator blinked red all the time, for 10 min.
But I couldn't stop recording. The only command it responds is the joystick. To stop recording I had to hold the power switch down.
There is a new video file on SD Card, but I couldn't played. It seems to be corrupted. One interesting thing is that the date of this new file is dated 01/01/2004 00:10.
2016-10-27
Use props
rJ22r3rRPeSo
lvl.4
Brazil

Test update: I could't open the video on my PC (Windows), but keeping the SD Card on Osmo and using DJI Go App, I could play the video that stopped to record at 7min22sec.
2016-10-27
Use props
marjamar
lvl.3
United States

What SD card are you using?  I have had many issues with many digital camera (still and video) due to inadequate SD cards for the speed the device needs to record at.

-Rodger  
2016-10-27
Use props
rJ22r3rRPeSo
lvl.4
Brazil

marjamar Posted at 2016-10-27 18:56
What SD card are you using?  I have had many issues with many digital camera (still and video) due t ...

Hi Rodger, thanks for asking.
I tried with 3 distinct Class 10 SDCards from SanDisk, 32GB and 64GB.
I've just look to my Amazon order. It's a SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC UHS-I.
2016-10-27
Use props
Sky-way
lvl.2

United States

Sounds like it's defective.
2016-10-27
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

It seems defective, please email support@dji.com and send it in. Thank you.
2016-10-27
Use props
valealvarez.s96
lvl.3
Argentina

rJ22r3rRPeSo Posted at 2016-10-27 07:43
Hello Thor, I tried recording without the phone and the camera status indicator blinked red all th ...

There was a similar problem with my Blackmagic Cinema Camera one day every clip recorded will only display inside the camera and it will appear as corrupted on the computer, i run a firmware update and i solved the problem, try reinstalling the update, or downgrade the firmware to 1.6 version, i have saved all firmares since in my pc, i can upload one for you if you want
2016-10-28
Use props
rJ22r3rRPeSo
lvl.4
Brazil

valealvarez.s96 Posted at 2016-10-28 12:11
There was a similar problem with my Blackmagic Cinema Camera one day every clip recorded will only ...

Hello valealvarez.s96, is it easy to do firmware downgrade? I would like to give it a try.
2016-10-28
Use props
rJ22r3rRPeSo
lvl.4
Brazil

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-28 05:51
It seems defective, please email  and send it in. Thank you.

Thor, do you have technical support in Brazil?
2016-10-28
Use props
valealvarez.s96
lvl.3
Argentina

rJ22r3rRPeSo Posted at 2016-10-28 11:19
Hello valealvarez.s96, is it easy to do firmware downgrade? I would like to give it a try.

Should be easy, via SD card, i will upload the previous verion to google drive for you
2016-10-28
Use props
rJ22r3rRPeSo
lvl.4
Brazil

valealvarez.s96 Posted at 2016-10-28 13:48
Should be easy, via SD card, i will upload the previous verion to google drive for you

Thanks, I looking forward for it.
2016-10-28
Use props
valealvarez.s96
lvl.3
Argentina

rJ22r3rRPeSo Posted at 2016-10-28 16:13
Thanks, I looking forward for it.

Here is the link for all the firmwares for osmo that i have downloaded since 27 december.     https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7Xi28NukV6NRTFxRHZCRVZGMTg
2016-10-29
Use props
rJ22r3rRPeSo
lvl.4
Brazil

valealvarez.s96 Posted at 2016-10-30 05:18
Here is the link for all the firmwares for osmo that i have downloaded since 27 december.     http ...

Thanks! I'll try downgrading one firmware version.
2016-10-30
Use props
rJ22r3rRPeSo
lvl.4
Brazil

valealvarez.s96 Posted at 2016-10-30 05:18
Here is the link for all the firmwares for osmo that i have downloaded since 27 december.     http ...

Unfortunately, I couldn't be able to downgrade the firmware. At first, it seems that the downgrade worked, but when I see the log, on the SD Card, there is the following message:

Result: Abort.
The firmware on the SD card is identical to or older than the current firmware on the device.
2016-10-31
Use props
valealvarez.s96
lvl.3
Argentina

rJ22r3rRPeSo Posted at 2016-10-31 08:38
Unfortunately, I couldn't be able to downgrade the firmware. At first, it seems that the downgrade ...

So it failed on installation? Because that "firmware is similar message thing" gets written when you keep the bin file on the sd card.
Does the firmware on dji options for osmo says that is it still in 1.8?, try different firmware versions, i've never downgrade mine, i have luck and all firmwares worked okay to me  i see a post where a guy could downgrade by retrying a couple of times.
2016-10-31
Use props
MWitarsa
lvl.4
Brazil

Just an update. I sent my Osmo to DJI at California and they replaced the gimbal+camera. So, I guess I've got an orange at first. What a bad luck at my first DJI product purchase!!
I'm looking forward to buy DJI Mavic, and I hope I have better luck next time.
2017-1-11
Use props
Manny-pr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10933205 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-26 19:48
Hi, please try this, start Osmo and press the record button, and let it sit there for 10 minutes, without using the phone.

Then check out the video, if it still discontinues after 5 minutes, then the unit is defective and needs to be sent in. Please email

I have an open case and DJI repair center. They can not reproduce the issue. They send me back the Osmo with the same issue. I ask to just replace the defective unit. But DJI do not want to replace the unit. I need a special help on this. See the video of the issue:
2017-1-16
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

Manny-pr Posted at 2017-1-16 06:38
I have an open case and DJI repair center. They can not reproduce the issue. They send me back the Osmo with the same issue. I ask to just replace the defective unit. But DJI do not want to replace the unit. I need a special help on this. See the video of the issue: https://youtu.be/k8Ud06yrdwc

Hi, please try this, use a different phone/tablet, and see if the connection is still lost after certain time of connection. Also clear the saved password of wifi on your device before you connect it to Osmo. And try a different SD card.  Is the video recorded even when the connection to your tablet is lost?

Is there a consistent pattern? Like connection is lost after X minutes.
2017-1-16
Use props
Manny-pr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10933205 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-1-16 22:09
Hi, please try this, use a different phone/tablet, and see if the connection is still lost after certain time of connection. Also clear the saved password of wifi on your device before you connect it to Osmo. And try a different SD card.  Is the video recorded even when the connection to your tablet is lost?

Is there a consistent pattern? Like connection is lost after X minutes.

Thanks for your response. I have tried different tablets without any result. I have reset the WIFI. I only need to change the SD. Now I have another problem. It does not stay on. See the video:
2017-1-17
Use props
matt x
New

United Kingdom

Tell me about it! I bought a mobile OSMO & my mobile thinks it's a Phantom 4! So the customer service is completely non existent & I cannot even start a new thread. So unless someone can explain how I fix this, this is going straight back the shop. I have zero tolerance of this kind of pathetic customer service.
2017-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules