DJI contradicts itself surely?
1290 11 2016-10-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
davcom1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 440981 ft
United Kingdom

I keep seeing lots of posts regarding DJI taking payment at the time of order (me included, on my Mavic Fly More).
Since other means of online contact seem to be failing, can one of the DJI forum representatives please provide an explain why this differs to the following? (Other than, "nothing to do with us")

Thanks.

On the DJI FAQs -

12. What happens if my item is on backorder?
In the event that an item is out of stock or for any other reason is unable to be shipped, we will notify you in time. We will keep the order open unless told to cancel it. When the item is in stock, we will ship it out immediately. Your credit card will only be charged at the actual time of shipment, and there might be a hold on the funds until the time of shipment.
Due to high international shipping costs and taxes and duty fees, we cannot ship any international order that includes backordered items. We will hold the order until all items are in stock and available to ship. Please contact us if you wish to cancel or change these items.

2016-10-27
Use props
Lepus
lvl.3

Canada

The item that was ordered was a pre-order, not a backorder item.
2016-10-27
Use props
davcom1
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Ah ok thanks, although "for any other reason". I couldn't find a FAQ for "What happens with pre-orders?"
2016-10-27
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

davcom1 Posted at 2016-10-27 09:24
Ah ok thanks, although "for any other reason". I couldn't find a FAQ for "What happens with pre-orde ...

Pre-order is a way for them to view product demand and with DJI, they use the money to cover manufacturing costs. This tells me before September 27th they only had a hand full of mavics ready to go, which would explain why they  don't have enough mavics to ship now.
2016-10-27
Use props
davcom1
lvl.3
United Kingdom

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-10-27 14:33
Pre-order is a way for them to view product demand and with DJI, they use the money to cover manuf ...

So essentially, as they are now missing their given launch date, surely pre-orders have become backorders?
2016-10-27
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

davcom1 Posted at 2016-10-27 09:36
So essentially, as they are now missing their given launch date, surely pre-orders have become bac ...

If DJI were based in the USA or United Kingdom I would say yes, but there not and things are different with companies from China, there may be laws but there's no enforcement.
2016-10-27
Use props
davcom1
lvl.3
United Kingdom

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-10-27 14:41
If DJI were based in the USA or United Kingdom I would say yes, but there not and things are diffe ...

Aye, thanks R&L. Just another little grumble at the arrogance of DJIs attitude to customer service.

In the UK, British Telecom has a virtual monopoly on phone lines. Even smaller telecoms companies have to buy through BT which results in a similar p. poor approach. "Take it or leave it, because we know there's little to no competition". If only DJI could see there's more to business than simply creating awesome products.
2016-10-27
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

davcom1 Posted at 2016-10-27 09:50
12. What happens if my item is on backorder?
In the event that an item is out of stock or for any other reason is unable to be shipped, we will notify you in time. We will keep the order open unless told to cancel it. When the item is in stock, we will ship it out immediately. Your credit card will only be charged at the actual time of shipment, and there might be a hold on the funds until the time of shipment.

My understanding was:

Pre-order - You have the opportunity to order and are first in line for the product before it is officially sold and available to ship out.

Back-order - They are out of the product, but you've ordered and they'll get it to you as soon as they get a new shipment.

Seems like DJI is walking a fine grey line with their definition of pre-order vs back-order now that units have shipped to customers and 3rd party retailers in order to allow them to continue collecting money up front on new sales.
2016-10-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think because dji have already started shipping product orders to i.e. Amazon,newegg, pre orders are no longer pre orders , they now should become orders.
2016-10-27
Use props
davcom1
lvl.3
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-27 16:28
I think because dji have already started shipping product orders to i.e. Amazon,newegg, pre orders a ...

Agreed - which by definition does mean those that haven't been dispatched are on back-order. :-/
2016-10-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

davcom1 Posted at 2016-10-27 16:39
Agreed - which by definition does mean those that haven't been dispatched are on back-order. :-/

Well it may mean they already have gone out to retailers, just like robbing Peter to pay Paul..

Interesting article below lots of cunning stuff going on now..

http://gizmodo.com/dji-is-mislea ... s-newest-1788251112
2016-10-27
Use props
davcom1
lvl.3
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-27 16:54
Well it may mean they already have gone out to retailers, just like robbing Peter to pay Paul..

I ...

Wow!

Seems DJI and GoPro have put themselves under pressure - Motley Fool Article about GoPro inventory
2016-10-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules