What's the reason behind the tap to focus?
12Next >
4994 48 2016-10-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
giusis00
lvl.2

Italy

I know the Mavic has a narrower DOF.. but what's the real reason of not providing a wide AF like the Phantom? I have a P3P and allo my videos are perfectly in focus... why I can't do the same with the Mavic?

2016-10-28
Use props
crackedcore
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31539 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I think you are confusing the 'Wider field of view' with 'Depth of field' which aren't the same thing but somewhat linked.
Being able to control the focal point on the Mavics camera is a good thing as it has a wider maximum aperture than the Phantom cameras and allows for more cinematic looking images.

You can still achieve the same kind of infinite focus by tapping on the most distant thing in view.  I believe the Phantom cameras are fixed focus and not auto focusing at all.

For me the issue is a lack of tools to check and lock the focus during flight in the go app.

On the Osmo with the, X5 when you scroll the manual focus wheel it shows a magnified rectangle 'Focus assist' type window. I haven't been able to find the same thing when using the X5 on the inspire.. Not sure why..

Would be cool to have that tool on the Mavic, With the ability to assign focus assist tool and the peaking on/off to one of the customizable function buttons on the controller.
2016-10-28
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

OK...  Phantom does NOT have AF.  It has a lens that is permanently focused on infinity.  That means when you get close to subjects or try to shot indoors the footage is blurry.

Mavic has the ability to focus.  With the new firmware... If you do NOTHING it will focus on infinity just like the Phantom.  If you decide to focus on a closer subject you can tap the screen or the C1 button and focus.  

Mavic has the ability to focus.  Phantom does NOT.

Focus control is an ADVANTAGE.  Not a disadvantage.
2016-10-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Fulgerite Posted at 2016-10-29 09:03
OK...  Phantom does NOT have AF.  It has a lens that is permanently focused on infinity.  That means ...

Correct, and to make it simple you can just go into manual focus mode and spin the onscreen dial to infinity.
2016-10-28
Use props
Shank McGuilicu
lvl.1
United States

What about when you're up close to something, focused on it, then want to do a pull away shot as you ascend and reverse, eventually panning out into the distance?  How do you control the focusing while you're actively moving and trying to maintain a strict flight line and throttle input?  Is there an wasy way to achieve this?  This alone (ease of camera operation) has kept me from selling my Phantom and buying a Mavic. The Phantom is pretty simple to use, and you can do pull away shots while gaining altitude and still manage to control the camera tilt while maintaining a steady line.  I can't imagine throwing in having to also focus the camera, so I'm curios how that works.  If I can gain confidence that that won't be a pain in the butt, then I'll sell it and get in line...  Thanks.
2016-10-28
Use props
giusis00
lvl.2

Italy

Thanks, I didn't know the new firmware corrected the infinity focus thing... I just see so many out of focus videos on the net that I got scared.. the shoots I take with my P3P are better than anything I have seen taken with the Mavic so far... and this is strange coz I'm not that "pro" in video making.
2016-10-29
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

Shank McGuilicu Posted at 2016-10-29 02:39
What about when you're up close to something, focused on it, then want to do a pull away shot as you ...

That's the very question I would like answering since the information came out that the Mavic has an "auto focus" camera. If there is a full auto focus setting then your scenario is the only time I would like that facility. Once you've achieved your shot, switching back to a fixed focus setting would stop any focus hunting which is the problem I envisaged if the camera were permanently set to full auto focus.
2016-10-29
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>

Shank McGuilicu Posted at 2016-10-29 09:39
What about when you're up close to something, focused on it, then want to do a pull away shot as you ...

In that situation you could use Infiniti focus.  That's what all
The prior phantoms were set on.  
2016-10-29
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

method007 Posted at 2016-10-29 14:54
In that situation you could use Infiniti focus.  That's what all
The prior phantoms were set on.   ...

Hi method007
The problem is that at infinity focus the beginning of the shot would be out of focus. That would look awful.
2016-10-29
Use props
elefantastico
lvl.1

Spain

They should add an optuon to the firmware to autofocus on a subject. Just select it on the screen with an square similar to follow me, and it autofocus on the subject (or item) while getting closer/further.
2016-10-29
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>

rick39 Posted at 2016-10-29 23:54
Hi method007
The problem is that at infinity focus the beginning of the shot would be out of focus ...

No, it's in focus.  Remember, Infiniti focus actual has a wide depth of field.  The odds of you being so close to the camera that your outside of that depth of field is slim.  Also, this is the first drone to have selective focus.  Every other drone made for consumers has been infinite focus - and all of that footage is in focus.  
2016-10-29
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi method007,
The Mavic camera has a different lens to the Phantom. The rated value of f2.2 allows focus to be achieved as close as 500mm. At that range the background will be thrown into soft focus and the subject will be pin sharp. You cannot do that with a fixed focus lens. Subjects can be kept in sharp focus of varying distances up to around 40 feet, after that the lens has reached its focusing range and pretty much anything beyond that distance will be in the realm of infinite focus for the lens. Don't forget the depth of field rule of thirds where at a given distance before infinity is reached, one third distance in front and two thirds distance behind the subject will be in focus.
2016-10-29
Use props
Mpampis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 276476 ft
Germany

I think at the of day you're going to appreciate the tap to focus! Sometimes you want only to one think in focus and not the whole picture and if you want to be always in focus just assign one of the buttons to be the focus.
2016-10-29
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

The example that shankmcguilico made is still one I would like to know the answer to.
2016-10-29
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

rick39 Posted at 2016-10-29 12:41
Hi method007,
The Mavic camera has a different lens to the Phantom. The rated value of f2.2 allows f ...

Right, which means you won't be able to start as close to yourself when you begin the selfie fly out video, starting with a prefocus on Infiniti.  I bet it works just fine for most situations.  Its probably pretty hard to control the mavic and push the focus slider out at the same time, assuming it's possible.
2016-10-29
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357169 ft
Denmark

elefantastico@g Posted at 2016-10-29 18:07
They should add an optuon to the firmware to autofocus on a subject. Just select it on the screen wi ...

The problem with "Continues AF" on a camera using contrast-based focusing (which most non-DSLRs do, except for some of the most advanced new cameras - So I assume Mavic does that too), is that you will see a lot of focus-hunting on videos. And that is exactly why pretty much nobody uses Continues AF for video-recording (at least until recently and the more advanced new cameras mentioned).
Most drones and action cameras has non-AF fixed-focus lenses.
2016-10-29
Use props
elefantastico
lvl.1

Spain

StigNygaard Posted at 2016-10-30 05:43
The problem with "Continues AF" on a camera using contrast-based focusing (which most non-DSLRs do, ...

True, but it can also be solved, with a solution like canon 70d-80d. Half of the pixels are used for video and half are used for focusing. Yes, with that solution you would loose half of the resolution, but still you would have an usable 1080p video, with perfect video focusing. Since it would be a user enabled fuction, it would be the user the one that chooses what it is needed for that situation, 4k video or continous AF.
2016-10-29
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

elefantastico@g Posted at 2016-10-29 22:19
True, but it can also be solved, with a solution like canon 70d-80d. Half of the pixels are used f ...

I don't know whether or not that method of tracking focus would be possible within the limitations of the camera on the Mavic. I own the Canon 70d and it works really well. However, without that technology in the example of a pull back shot I am interested in, would the Mavic be capable of maintaining continuous auto focus  if the subject was kept in the centre of the frame as the drone moves further away? I think there's a good chance it would, but first and foremost, I still haven't been able to find out from anyone if the camera has a continuous auto focus mode at all!
2016-10-29
Use props
lordnibbler
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-28 18:17
Correct, and to make it simple you can just go into manual focus mode and spin the onscreen dial t ...

For what it's worth, this absolutely does not work on my Mavic. Infinity focus makes everything 100% blurry. The only way I can get a clear shot is to use automatic focus mode and tap on something far away.
2016-10-29
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357169 ft
Denmark

elefantastico@g Posted at 2016-10-29 23:19
True, but it can also be solved, with a solution like canon 70d-80d. Half of the pixels are used f ...

True, "with a solution like canon 70d-80d". But you know, that is a recent invention by Canon requiring new very advanced and expensive sensors. Canon probably has patent on their implementation, though some other manufacturers has implemented similar working solutions (either by licensing Canon's way or by doing something related). And that was exactly what I was talking about when mentioning "some of the most advanced new cameras" above.
But I'm sure the sensor on Mavic doesn't have Canon's "dual-pixel technology". You could eventually wish for something like that in the future new Mavic model, but right now defaulting to infinitive (thus working like other drones and action cams) might be an easier and cheaper solution good enough for most people who doesn't like the autofocus option.
2016-10-29
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

you will see a lot of focus-hunting on videos"

That's why I was surprised to see the "professional" do a review with utterly hideous use of a wide aperture and constant auto-focus hunting. Not the Mavic, his own camera.

Yeah, "art" lol...
2016-10-29
Use props
crackedcore
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31539 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

$10k Professional DSLRs and cine cameras are only just getting this kind of Continuous tracking AF. I Wouldn't expect to see reliable, Continuous Auto focus in a camera the size of a sparrows egg any time soon..
The the tap auto focus on the X5 is pretty slow and unreliable in my experience and i don't expect the Mavic to be much better..

Can anyone comment on weather it has the focus magnification tool like the Osmo?

The best way i can see to rack focus on these dji drones without a second controller is to get a friend to hold the mobile device and roll the onscreen manual focus wheel while having the focus peaking turned on.
Just use a longer usb/lightning cable and look over their shoulder to frame your shot while they focus for you..
2016-10-30
Use props
Peel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10876 ft
United States

Too bad we can't re-map the camera wheel on the remote to be a focus wheel. Then it would be easy to pull focus while still controlling both sticks.
2016-10-30
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Peel Posted at 2016-10-30 16:37
Too bad we can't re-map the camera wheel on the remote to be a focus wheel. Then it would be easy to ...

You may be on to something there Peel........
2016-10-30
Use props
Peel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10876 ft
United States

rick39 Posted at 2016-10-30 12:43
You may be on to something there Peel........

What's the methods of submitting a feature request with DJI?
This could be selectable in the app settings so you could choose the focus function, or the standard camera function.
2016-10-30
Use props
DarkEnergy
lvl.2

Mexico

It is already implemented on the C1 button at the back of the controller.
From page 9 of the User Manual:

10. C1 Button
The default configuration is listed below.
Set these values based on your preference in the DJI GO app.
Press once to fo
cus on the center or add a waypoint when using Waypoints.

2016-10-30
Use props
lordnibbler
lvl.1
United States

DarkEnergy Posted at 2016-10-30 11:05
It is already implemented on the C1 button at the back of the controller.
From page 9 of the User Ma ...

I find this highly unreliable, and has ruined many clips for me.
2016-10-30
Use props
No Man's Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 301545 ft

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-29 09:17
Correct, and to make it simple you can just go into manual focus mode and spin the onscreen dial t ...

Manual focus and set the on-screen dial to infinity? I don't think I've seen this in my DJI Go app. Any screen shot?
2016-10-30
Use props
lordnibbler
lvl.1
United States

No Man's Drone Posted at 2016-10-30 18:48
Manual focus and set the on-screen dial to infinity? I don't think I've seen this in my DJI Go app ...

This does not work, it causes the image to be blurry. It seems DJI's concept of infinity focus is significantly different from that of every SLR camera I've ever used.

The only way I've been able to get a decent shot is to use autofocus and tap on something far away. Ironically, this is comparable to the "infinite" focus on a P4, but when switching into manual focus mode on the Mavic this setting is somewhere in the middle between Macro and infinity focus.

IMG_0647.jpg
2016-10-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

No Man's Drone Posted at 2016-10-31 09:48
Manual focus and set the on-screen dial to infinity? I don't think I've seen this in my DJI Go app ...

The above screen shot shows it's location.
2016-10-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

lordnibbler Posted at 2016-10-31 11:04
This does not work, it causes the image to be blurry. It seems DJI's concept of infinity focus is s ...

I have only tried the manual focus indoors, I'll try it outside this week.
But like the above post said, tap to focus works great.
2016-10-30
Use props
lordnibbler
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-30 20:12
The above screen shot shows it's location.

But note that clicking the infinity icon will NOT produce a true "infinite" focus. Only tapping to focus in AF mode on a far away object will. Don't make this mistake and ruin your footage like I did
2016-10-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

lordnibbler Posted at 2016-10-31 11:13
But note that clicking the infinity icon will NOT produce a true "infinite" focus. Only tapping to ...

But if you tap on something that's 20-30ft away that should work ok unless you are also doing a selfie or a close up of something.
Did that not work well for you?
2016-10-30
Use props
lordnibbler
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-30 20:17
But if you tap on something that's 20-30ft away that should work ok unless you are also doing a se ...

It works, but it is completely counterintuitive and misleading from a UI perspective. In fact, it seems to be so misleading that even you, @DJI-Ken, just a few posts up in this very thread said:

> "Correct, and to make it simple you can just go into manual focus mode and spin the onscreen dial to infinity."

I've been a photographer and filmmaker all my life, and never have I encountered a lens or camera where "infinity" focus causes the entire scene to be blurry.

2016-10-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

lordnibbler Posted at 2016-10-31 11:20
It works, but it is completely counterintuitive and misleading from a UI perspective. In fact, it s ...

The manual focus infinity setting should provide results, I will test it out tomorrow.
2016-10-30
Use props
lordnibbler
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-30 20:25
The manual focus infinity setting should provide results, I will test it out tomorrow.

If it does perform as you described, then that's just another thing to add to my list of issues with my Mavic. Trying to get support to exchange mine now, I cannot take video without shot-ruining jello no matter what I do.
Please let us know your findings!
2016-10-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

lordnibbler Posted at 2016-10-31 11:41
If it does perform as you described, then that's just another thing to add to my list of issues wit ...

Will do, and ca you post a few clips as well.
2016-10-30
Use props
lordnibbler
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-30 20:51
Will do, and ca you post a few clips as well.

Couple of clips here in my thread; https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... mp;extra=#pid544503
2016-10-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

lordnibbler Posted at 2016-10-31 11:54
Couple of clips here in my thread; https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=69586&page=1 ...

I replied in that thread.
2016-10-30
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

lordnibbler Posted at 2016-10-31 14:41
If it does perform as you described, then that's just another thing to add to my list of issues wit ...

Read here if you are getting Jello.

http://mavicpilots.com/threads/m ... l-need-to-read.765/
2016-10-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules