DJI Mavic Pro Camera settings and Adjustments VIDs
20273 30 2016-10-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nickt916
lvl.2
Flight distance : 215915 ft
United States

I decided to do a group of videos for some adjustements and settings to your liking, hopefully this thread wil help you guys guy find something in settings that you dont know about or where it might be, if i do more ill put them in here for my refference and for you guys.
quick tip: dont forget to remove the clear gimbal bracket behind the camera, its had to miss and if accidentally left in place might burn out your motors

2016-10-28
Use props
nickt916
lvl.2
United States

Mavic Pro Camera Focus test, when i was in the park i was amazed at how well it focused on the trees, when i ordered the mavic and saw some reviews i was sad that the camera quality would be worse than the phantom 4, but im actually really impressing with this little guy!!

2016-10-28
Use props
nickt916
lvl.2
United States

Here is how you can adjust your gimbal speed to fast or slow, i would suggest put it to 30-40 if you want that more cinematic look, if you know where all the settings are you can easily adjust it on the spot and change it to slower or faster depending on what you are shooting.

2016-10-28
Use props
nickt916
lvl.2
United States

Here is how to sep up one of the button C1 or C2 to be as automatic focus so you dont have to click on the screen all the time, Once you hit the button it focuses on whatever is at the center of the screen, if you want to focus on something else on the screen tap the screen with your finger on that object, this works better for closer up things or what not, or just center the screen on that object and click C1 or C2.... just gotta always FOCUS!!!!

2016-10-28
Use props
Kuzz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136900 ft

Nice one mate. Very helpful videos, some people like to watch stuff in stead of reading so and this is especially good for those random little things you want to do. You should continue to do more videos like this for lots of different things, features, setting etc.

Well done. Can't wait for my Mavic to come next week. Gonna get so much nice footage in Malaysia & Thailand.
2016-10-28
Use props
bleyten
lvl.2

Question about the "autofocus". If I focus on something in the distance and I approach it does the camera truly readjust focus or would you have to keep tapping the button to refocus as the subject gets closer? Most review videos seem to suggest that the focus is fixed even with the button configured as you have it. Can you confirm please.
2016-10-28
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

bleyten Posted at 2016-10-29 07:58
Question about the "autofocus". If I focus on something in the distance and I approach it does the c ...

Great question. As I understand it, the camera does not have a full auto focus option; you have to manually adjust the "auto focus" to the desired distance of the subject. I haven't seen this confirmed yet in the final release of the Mavic, so it would be good to get the definitive answer.
2016-10-29
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

Great video's, not to long or to much information. Very usefull. I do have a request: can you please test some picture settings, what resolution do you prefer and what profile(d-log or ART or some other)? This would help a lot of people.
2016-10-29
Use props
bleyten
lvl.2

rick39 Posted at 2016-10-29 16:20
Great question. As I understand it, the camera does not have a full auto focus option; you have to ...

I figured I'm not the only one curious about this. Seems like only having manual focus is a poor choice for a drone which is constantly changing distance from a subject. I mean don't get me wrong, an option for manual focus would be great but I'd prefer to be able to set infinity focus or let the camera correct focus on the fly instead of me changing focus in a steps as I approach a subject that would likely be apparent with a continual shot. It seems that constantly worrying about correcting focus would be a bit distracting as well. As much as I love the concept of this drone if no true autofocus is possible with this drone I won't buy it.
2016-10-29
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

bleyten Posted at 2016-10-29 18:35
I figured I'm not the only one curious about this. Seems like only having manual focus is a poor ch ...

Full auto focus would be good, but I wouldn't suggest it should be left in that mode, if indeed full auto focus is an option. I would be worried about focus "hunting" where the lens would continually alter focus either trying to lock on to a subject or picking up a closer object than the one you were trying to keep in focus. Once the need for full auto was over I would want the camera set to infinity (or close to it) so this wouldn't be a problem.
2016-10-29
Use props
Frank I.
lvl.2

There's a difference between Auto Focus and CONTINUOUS Auto Focus, people seem to mix that up here a lot.

When you Tap to focus, the Mavic will set focus to the distance of what you tapped on AT THAT TIME. When you get closer or further away, you may have to re-focus.
In practice this will only apply if you focus on something quite close to the cam (<10m). If you focus on the horizon, everything further then 10m/30ft away will be in focus and stay in focus, so for normal aerial shots that's fine. (I read somewhere here that the latest firmware sets the focus to infinity automatically on startup - can't find it now, but that shure would help!)

CONTINUOUS Auto focus would mean the camera would try to refocus all of the time while flying, which is surely not what you want! (On my DSLR that mode is called "AI Servo", i hardly ever use it.)

@nickt916: good idea, esp. to keep those vids short and focused (sorry the pun) on single details - great job, keep them coming!
2016-10-29
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

So, it still leaves the unanswered question of whether the Mavic pro has a full/continuous auto focus mode?
2016-10-29
Use props
Frank I.
lvl.2

I don't have the Mavic yet, but i've read the manual and watched just about every video available about it, esp. everything that has to do with the camera -
unless i have missed something, i'd say NO, there is no continuous auto focus.

Even if there was one, you would not want to use it! You said it yourself - the cam would be "hunting" the focus all the time, which it can only do
by SHIFTING the focus all the time. I can not think of a situation where that would be useful...

You can see in the vid in post #2 that it takes some time to reaquire focus until it "locks". Now imagine you fly around, the scene changes all the time,
and the camera would constantly try to regain focus - you'd end up with shots that are OUT of focus 99% of the time.
2016-10-29
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

The only scenario I can see that I would want to use it would be a close up shot say from take off or hover to a long shot where the drone would fly in reverse and keep the subject from take off in the centre of the shot. This method would look great if the full auto focus system worked, something you couldn't achieve by continually making manual focus adjustments and trying to fly at the same time!
2016-10-29
Use props
Frank I.
lvl.2

Hmm, even in that scenario i would rather hit the C2 button to center auto focus every couple of seconds, rather than have the cam trying to
continuously seek focus. From all i know, this is a Contrast based auto focus system and they are not the fastest. So unless you fly
REALLLY slowly, the cam would not be able to catch up with the ever-changing subject distances...

To add to this thread, here's a vid by Newshooter that shows all the camera menu options in the Go app (cam starts at around 10:00):

2016-10-29
Use props
nickt916
lvl.2

here is how to turn off your front LED lights

2016-10-30
Use props
nickt916
lvl.2

rick39 Posted at 2016-10-30 03:06
So, it still leaves the unanswered question of whether the Mavic pro has a full/continuous auto focu ...

If you autofocus on something, and then approach something else closer, you would have to click auto focus again, its one of those things that you just gotta do, it may kinda suck something, just gotta remember and think of it as a MANUAL camera that you have to adjust all the time. Maybe this video will help you remember haha...

2016-10-30
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi Nick, you're a star!
Thanks very much for the last demo. I don't know if it's possible for you to make a daylight video of the example I gave earlier in the thread. My scenario would be where a video shot from close range focused on say a sign or plaque or whatever you want then pulls away to a significant distance and height away while maintaining the subject in the centre of the frame and keeping the whole sequence in focus. I realise this may be impossible as trying to fly and adjust focus at the same time would be very demanding. I think the only way to do this would be to program two way points as described and let the Mavic fly autonomously, leaving you free to handle the focus pull. However, I notice there is an issue with tap to focus where once the lens achieves the new desired focus point, the image "bounces" presenting a small zoom out and in effect. This would look awful!

The only other thing to try in the same example, again using two way points, would be to try using the GUI interface of the sliding scale focus setting. I don't know, but could imagine this might be a flawed idea as the focus may only change once the desired final focus point had been reached, leaving all other footage set between the original focus point and the final focus point blurry and out of focus.

This procedure would demand serious flying skills that as yet I don't possess (or the Mavic for that matter, but I hope that will be resolved soon!). I don't know if you have the experience to do this yet, and if not I'm sure you will have soon, but if anyone else would like to rise to the challenge and give it a try, I would love to see the result. Another way to do it that might be easier, would be to film the scene the opposite way round from far distance to close up, and then the sequence could be reversed in the edit. This is fine if there's no one around, but seeing people walking backwards and cars reversing down a highway doesn't look great!

Simulating this by running around with the Mavic on the ground between two points and trying to operate the camera at the same time would not work, but it would be funny watching someone try!

Thanks again Nick, keep these videos coming. They are extremely interesting and helpful to me as a relative novice waiting to experience the fun of a DJI drone.
2016-10-31
Use props
fans60b77493
lvl.2
United States

here is how to upgrade Mavic firmware, there is 2 ways of doing it, one way was giving me an error, but the second way worked, anyone else was having issues with the DJI Assistant 2?

2016-10-31
Use props
fans60b77493
lvl.2
United States

rick39 Posted at 2016-10-29 12:35
The only scenario I can see that I would want to use it would be a close up shot say from take off o ...

so you mean like focus on something then fly away from it and would it remain being focused on that object? sadly no
2016-10-31
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fans60b77493 Posted at 2016-10-31 21:24
so you mean like focus on something then fly away from it and would it remain being focused on tha ...

Thanks for the reply Fans,
No I don't mean that you do that without any input. Focus would have to be adjusted throughout the flight. I don't know if the slide to focus will only alter focus on release of the slider or if it progressively alters focus as you slide up or down the focus range on the GUI, much the same as altering focus manually on a DSLR lens.
2016-10-31
Use props
fans60b77493
lvl.2
United States

rick39 Posted at 2016-10-31 15:31
Thanks for the reply Fans,
No I don't mean that you do that without any input. Focus would have to ...

im not sure what GUI is? and there is no slide to focus you tap the screen or just tap on an assigned button to autofocus again.
2016-10-31
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fans60b77493 Posted at 2016-11-1 02:14
im not sure what GUI is? and there is no slide to focus you tap the screen or just tap on an assig ...

GUI=Graphic User Interface.
Do you know there is no slide to focus facility or are you guessing? I thought I saw a video showing that option similar to the Inspire interface.
2016-10-31
Use props
Viper
lvl.1
Flight distance : 62280 ft
United States

Hi all what do you think about using DLog vs. Art? I've been on the fence between the two and recently watched this youtube that claims art is better in 2k mode.
2016-11-14
Use props
cassiomolin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 250259 ft
United Kingdom

Looks like Art is gone in the last firmware update...
2016-12-21
Use props
RCDRONESTUDIO
lvl.2
United States

[size=14.6667px]Mavic exposure settings... and will it attempt to take off folded? if you have props on and try to take off might be dangerous

2016-12-25
Use props
RCDRONESTUDIO
lvl.2
United States

Testing 3 speed modes, Tripod, normal and sport top speeds

2017-2-11
Use props
RCDRONESTUDIO
lvl.2
United States

Hand catching the Mavic with the sensors on is unpredictable sometimes.

2017-2-11
Use props
RCDRONESTUDIO
lvl.2
United States

how to turn on Tripod mode in the settings

2017-2-11
Use props
RCDRONESTUDIO
lvl.2
United States

there is a way you can up tilt the camera about 30 degrees if lets say you are flying under a bridge or next to a building and want to get a slightly upward tilt while flying. Here is how it can be turned on in settings

2017-8-17
Use props
RCDRONESTUDIO
lvl.2
United States

many of us fly indoors or tight spaces utdoors, or through tree brenches whatever, with front or down sensors on it will not allow you to take those cool shots, here is a way to turn them off if you need to, obviously do this at your own risk and if you are not afraid to get close to objects lol

2017-8-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules