USB port on controller suddenly quit working
5869 14 2016-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ivel501
New

United States

Hello all,

I have been trying to go through the forums here to see what the solution is, but I am either not looking in the right spot, or I am being to dimwitted to see the solution, so in either case please be gentle ;)

I have a Phantom 3 Pro and it was flying great with zero issues. I had to go work on assignment for a while so I put the drone and controller in a bin and did not touch it for 6 months. I cam back home last week all excited to get to play with my drone again and it just seems the USB port on the controller is not working. There is no connection with the android tablet or phone I am trying to use. I followed the steps to use a USB thumbdrive to upgrade the firmware and the unit just does not seem to recognize the thumbdrive.

At this point I am just going to order the $99 HDMI upgrade kit for the controller. The question(s) I have are these; has the hdmi upgrade kit fixed the issue? Is it known that the problem is within the little removable USB section itself, or is it deeper within the controller, meaning no matter what I do the controll will not talk to my tablet via a cable?

And why would it just 'stop working' ? It worked great.. put it in a secure location for a few months, then nothing?

I am going to continue going through the forums, but there seems to be quite a few posts relating to 'usb port quit working' and it required the controller to be sent in for repair which does not appear to be a 100% solution.

Thanks for any insight on this issue.. I was so hoping to get out and get some wonderful fall foilage shots but at this rate the trees will be bare by the time I get this thing launched.

2016-10-29
Use props
kirk2579
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

updateing is done via the app for the last many months.
depends on RC and phantom fw you have

maybe post rc, app, quad, etc fw versions
and someone cn point you correctly.

http://www.drone-world.com/how-t ... sional-and-advanced

also

http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/i ... e_Guide_en_v1.4.pdf

2016-10-29
Use props
jpaydirt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2969 ft
United States

Same thing here, sat for a month then out of the blue quit, I bought a new module and nothing, put the old one back in and boom it worked, for a while, now its not,  does your controler say update required? do you leave your phone/device hooked up, have you blocked the apps ability to update, do you have your device's wireless on when flying, I'm asking because I am running 2.4 app and 1.4.1 copter 1.3.20 RC and have not updated because it worked for a year, why update if it works, who wants all the bugs   So my question is if the GO APP can't update why does mine say update required and now won't fly, dji says theres no way for it to update, but I say if they can make the controller show a warning then what stops them from disabling the RC if you don't update, because if I update then I have all the flight restrictions NFZ's hmmm?  Try removing the ribbon cables from the usb module then turning on the remote and then turn it off, re attach the cables and see if that works,  this will reset the module,  if you were running old firmware, and old ios your issue is not phone or tablet related, just my opinion after reading everything I could find for the last two weeks, you are the first I have come across with the same problem as mine, go to facebook and find Lyhn phan he is a drone guru,   It could be something else, but why would it go from working fine to not working after sitting?
2016-10-29
Use props
ivel501
New

United States

Thank you for the replies.

I am looking at the app on my android device and it is showing APP 3.0.0 (I did try to update it) - the question is, how can I confirm the versions on my Controller and my drone if the the USB cable is not working? the versions listed in the app show N/A and the top shows Disconnected. The tablet I am using is an Nvidia Shield K1 - Android version 6.0.1 (Kernel 3.10.67)  But I have also tried this with an android Note 5 phone with same results. - -

So the question is, how can I get the versions off my controller and drone without using the GUI on the app?

Thanks again!

2016-10-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

ivel501 Posted at 2016-10-30 00:27
Thank you for the replies.

I am looking at the app on my android device and it is showing APP 3.0.0 ...

The problem is that your mobile phone cannot connect to the remote, that's why it shows "disconnected".
Firstly, please check the led status on remote, it's solid red or green? can you control the aircraft with remote?
Then please unplug the USB cable and plug it in, then turn on remote, aircraft and app in order.
Or you could change another USB cable.
Besides, the Nvidia is not in DJI recommended list, please try another one which is compatible with remote.
You can reset remote by press C1+C2+Shutter button at the same time, then turn off remote and turn it back on.
2016-10-30
Use props
ivel501
New

United States

Thank you for the answer.

It is just odd that this Nvidia K1 worked great for a few months. I boxed everything up and left it for 6 months and now it suddenly will not connect.

To answer your question the remote is green and I can move the camera up and down, I have not tried to actually fly it thoiugh. I have also tried my Note 5 phone, same results. I am going to look at some of the videos on how to upgrade the firmware, even though I am not sure what version it is now since I cannot see it anywhere since the app will not connect up.

Also, the drone blinks a fast yellow whether the remote is on or off. It could be that I am inside and it is not getting any GPS info. I will verify that as well.

Thanks again for the advice. I will keep playing with it and hopefully something will kiick..
2016-10-30
Use props
ivel501
New

United States

Oh, one more quick reply.

I had tried to used a thumbdrive to update the firmware on the controller. I was not sure anything happened so I tried it again and this time got this message in the text file:

Packet: /mnt/usb/P3X_FW_V01.09.0060.bin,
Result: Abort
The firmware on the SD card is identical to or older than the current firmware on the remote controller.

So it looks like the first time did work, and now my controller is using the 1.09 update? I would also assume this means the usb port it working. I will continue to research.
2016-10-30
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

V1.9.6 is the firmware for aircraft, Abort means your aircraft it already the latest one.
May I know have you tried to use the combination buttons?
Please make sure you enable USB debugging and MTP mode when connecting to Samsung device.
2016-10-31
Use props
djiuser_ewkGuFbA992a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 72110 ft
Suriname

Use another lihtning usb cable. I used a new usb cable and it workt. The problem is with the usb cable and not the usb port. Succes
2019-6-23
Use props
djiuser_ewkGuFbA992a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 72110 ft
Suriname

Use another lihtning usb cable. I used a new usb cable and it workt. The problem is with the usb cable and not the usb port. Succes
2019-6-23
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_ewkGuFbA992a Posted at 6-23 16:48

He is using an Android phone, so a 'Lightning' cable will not work. Apart from that, thie post is over 3 years old, he would have solved it by now.
2019-6-23
Use props
FredFogg
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 6-23 19:53
He is using an Android phone, so a 'Lightning' cable will not work. Apart from that, thie post is over 3 years old, he would have solved it by now.

No, no solution to this problem has been given by DJI.  USB quits working after a firmware upgrade and you can't backup the firmware on a Phantom 3.  So my drone is now a paper weight.  Thanks DJI!
2019-6-24
Use props
FredFogg
lvl.2
United States

So, I bought a drone that had been wrecked off Ebay along with the controller and lots of other stuff.  I didn't update the controller and it connected fine to my drone and it works perfectly with the DJI Go app.  So it definitely has something to do with the firmware upgrade I loaded on my controller.  At least I am flying now.  Anyone want to buy a controller?  LOL
2019-7-1
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Would a mod would kindly delete this post please? (duplicated)
2019-7-3
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FredFogg Posted at 7-1 07:23
Anyone want to buy a controller?  LOL

FredFogg how much and where are you?
2019-7-3
Use props